ITT Technical Institute

Updated December 19, 2014
2.3

ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

Pros
  • Pay was decent for no experience and no degree (in 14 reviews)

• The reward of helping students achieve their goals is priceless (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance - required to work 6-7 days per week and on vacation or sick leave (in 21 reviews)

• Tales from students about financial aid acquired through the company sounds shady at best (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Not A Great Long-Term Employment Option

Current Employee - Financial Aid Coordinator in Bessemer, AL
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Coordinator in Bessemer, AL

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Met some good people, both employees and students.

Cons

!. Unethical business w/ cutthroat corporate culture.
    2. "SELL, SELL, SELL!" is the company mantra.
    3. The education standards are way below par with community colleges, public universities and non-profit schools.
    4. Uneducated number-crunchers are in charge & constantly micro-manage (ie crush & bludgeon to death) any idealism you may have had going into the job.
    5. Communication is all from the top ----> down. HQ hasn't a clue what people at campuses really do on a daily basis.
    6. Cost of tuition is at least 5 times what the community college down the street is so employees are told not to be clear to students on this point.
    7. You are paid and judged each day on how many unknowing, lost students you can reel into their debt-mill. NUMBERS are ALL that count there.
    8. Upper managers and directors at campus level don't care a whit about the employees or the students (once their student loans are signed).
    9. Very high turnover of employees (my campus had 4 campus directors and 3 Directors of Finance in three years).
    10. Advice: Run as fast as you can away from any job here. It'll ruin your chances of anything better in the future.

Clean up your act, stop acting like you don't know about the fraud you insistently urge your employees to commit, offer a decent education to these poor people who end up $100,000 in debt.

Okay place to work

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Most students want to be there.

Cons

Micromanagement of teaching. Encouraged to give students passing grades even when they don't deserve them.

Low census means no job

Former Employee - Financial Aid Counselor in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Counselor in Greenville, SC

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay and great student body

Cons

Every other Saturday and late nights

Get rid of the old and allow for new ideas..

Poor management has removed the joy of being an admissions rep

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Representative

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Higher salary potential, benefits are decent

Cons

Management is way behind the times, does not appreciate their employees and loves to micromanage.

Take a good hard look at why your college attendance numbers have fallen so low!

ITT was a great place to work prior to 2008. After that they were way more concerned about their shareholders.

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Birmingham, AL

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I got to meet. Not only were my co-workers great but the steady stream of new students meant that there was a lot of chance to interact with a broad range of people on any given day.

Cons

Early on the benefits were great, there was 401(k), retirement, and health insurance. By the time I left only the 401(k) remained. There was also a decline in the quality of the staff as they began firing people who were doing an excellent job because of numbers.

Look at the big picture of the school and what they provide. Being a diploma mill is a disservice to an excellent curriculum and what has the potential to produce quality graduates.

call center job as usual

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

get to work alone so yeh

Cons

busy work and a lot of it

Very structured, but more interested in passing students on

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty Member
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty Member

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All the materials required to teach are provided
    Dept Chairs are willing to work with your schedule to assign classes to teach
    Fellow adjuncts willing to help out in a pinch

Cons

Policies reward dishonesty when reporting grades, holding instructors responsible for lazy students
    Students get enrolled into programs they know they are not fit for, then instructor held accountable when "retention" levels are not met
    Pay increases are minimal

Support instructors when the student attendance directly impacts their achievement
    Work with recruiting to stop bringing in unmotivated students

ITT-Tech

Current Employee - Learning Resource Center Assistant
    Current Employee - Learning Resource Center Assistant

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If done correctly, you have the opportunity to truly help students. This was my first job out of college, and it has allowed me to gain experience while working on my MBA.

Cons

If you are a hard worker, they will bleed you dry. Meaning if you volunteer for one opportunity, you will be volunTOLD for many others. You will work two late nights a week, and at the start of each quarter, plan on working 12 hour days all week. You will work saturdays and holidays as well as be asked to stay later than you original shift.

The worst part about ITT is their recruitment style. If numbers were based on how many a rep could GRADUATE vs. how many they could simply get in the door, the learning enviornment would take on a different culture.

Change your recruitment style, provide more room for growth and higher incentives.

No life, No Structure, Poor organization, No Leadership

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

relaxed environment, very cool co workers who you bond with because they feel your pain. lag time and long lunches when the boss isn't paying attention.

Cons

low pay, benefits are bogus, no room for advancement, awful hours, quality of life is compromised. its off in no mans land where nobody can find you.

This place is the worst. I moved to work this job because I wanted to be closer to home and lifestyle and in the end it is nothing more then a sales position with unrealistic goals. This place is horrible. I would not recommend this place to anyone. No need to work past 6pm and the cold calling is a waste of my time and my Masters Degree. They have people in power who have no education and they preach education. They saddle these poor people with tons of debt and most will not get the jobs they want because they are societies forgotten and they look and sound like it. This pace is a waste.
    I would tell anyone who applies to work it for a while to learn what not to do and then change jobs immediately. Matter of fact, don't take the job. If they are that open to hiring you, THEN THATS A RED FLAG RIGHT THERE!!!! Clearly nobody wants the job to begin with and they have a very low retention rate. THIS IS A TELEMARKETING JOB, RUN AWAY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

It's very life changing and I'm always happy to be there because you can learn something new everyday.

Former Employee - Federal Work Study in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Federal Work Study in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing team player environment, they're very patient with you and always want the best for you.

Cons

Not enough hours and not very professional when dealing with their employers.

Don't hire many students if you only want two of them to work.

ITT Technical Institute Photos