ITT Technical Institute Reviews

Admissions

Former Employee - Admissions in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions in Tempe, AZ

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

Nice campus. Nice people that are friendly and easy to work with in most departments. Great to interact with faculty, Dean and Department Chairs on the academic side.

Cons

No fun or positive energy in the admissions department at all. The management makes you feel like children, doesn't trust you to do your job, and doesn't give you the tools to do it welThe admissions department has an oppressive culture. Calling prospective students can be discouraging and boring so a smart culture would provide high energy, camaraderie and taking breaks. If you are talking to a co-worker on the floor you have to whisper like children or the director will walk up to your desk with an "important" lead to stop you. If you ask for time off they won't give it to you or make you make up the hours during the week. In two months, the staff went from 9 to 5, hired 5 people, 4 people quit and their back down to 5. Hours are ridiculous and not effective busy practice. Each day you work a different shift. 12-9, 11-8, 10-7, 9-6, 9-6 one week. The next week you work 12-9, 11-8, 10-7, 9-6, take a day off during the week and work Saturday 9-4, which means you have to take 1/2 hour lunches during the week and you don't get two days off consecutive. They micro-manage the time you take lunches and the time you take off.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your calling system and application software. My God, you're a technical college. It's a smart investment, reps could reach more people, speed up the application process to free up their time to reach more people and look more credible to students. You'll also keep staff if their job isn't so frustrating. Plain and simple, the management has no idea how to socially relate to people. They will not answer questions or help. Reps are left to help each other figure it out. People need consistency in their work schedule. A different shift every day? This isn't fast food.

2. Admissions/recruitment

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Toledo, OH

I worked at ITT Technical Institute (More than a year)

Pros

I met some very nice people, pay was ok

Cons

Corporate office does not care about employees, or students. They are completely off base when it comes to numbers. They could really be a great school if they listened and accepted input from staff. I think the powers that be are so rigid that it makes the work experience horrible. The supervisors are basically powerless, the hours and working conditions are the major cause of burn out and discontent, It could be a good place if they were open to change.

Advice to Management

Actually spend some time with employees, students at the schools themselves.

3. Stay Away!

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

interactions with students; employees are genuinely concerned about the success of the students.

Cons

in order to meet goals, everyone is "pushed to the max" with a "Hair on fire" mentality.

Advice to Management

realign business model to allow for fully staffed school instead of having one person attempt to do two or three jobs.

5. Campus Director

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

Good structure and training for new Directors.

Cons

Sometimes too structured and policies contradict each other at times.

6. Great Co-Workers

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers and management for the most part. Pay is not the best, but could be worse. Decent time off.

Cons

Many departments are very stressful Not much trust between workers and managers on either side

7. horrible micromanagement

Former Employee - Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers but turnover rate is very high

Cons

Micromanagement style - no room to build trust.

8. Admissions Representative

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

A job in education and programs in a growing field.

Cons

Need more enrollments and recruitments of students.

9. Career Services Specialist

Former Employee - Career Services Specialist/Staffing Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at ITT Technical Institute (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed interacting with the students on a daily basis! It felt good to help the graduates find work in their field!

Cons

The schedule was tough at times, long hours into the evenings.

10. Needs Improvement

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

* Great students * Great instructors * Good culture

Cons

* Pay is low * Workload is too high

Advice to Management

Consider needs of your employees

11. I would not send my dog to work for this employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A steady pay check. Some students wanted to learn and succeed upon graduation. Going home at the end of the day.

Cons

I have never in my life worked in such a hostile and toxic work environment. The goals you are expected to reach are unattainable and unreachable. Teachers are evaluated on student attendance and how many pass. Where I went to school when I was a student I was evaluated on that, not my teacher. They have turned education on its head. The turnover at my location was over the top. In A little over 2 1/2 years I saw the following: 2 campus directors, 3 directors of recruiting (one resigned with no notice), 3 directors of finance, 4 associate deans, 2 deans, 3 program chairs (one resigned without notice). All of these who moved on can not be wrong. ITT is the common denominator.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people as if they are replaceable. Stop brow beating people over number they have no control or ability to reach. The recent events in the media have sullied your image. Every person who fire for not reaching unattainable numbers or resigns due to the toxic environment has become an ambassador to tell anyone who would could consider enrolling in ITT exactly what you stand for. For 18 months the members of the program advisory committee recommended spending less than $70.00 on a set of books that would be placed in the library for the students to use. This recommendation was rejected by the dean each time. You have not problem taking tens of thousands of dollars from these students, but are unwilling to spend less than $70.00 on a resource the advisory committee recommended for 18 months. Keep doing what you are doing and you will go the way of other for profit schools that are no longer in business.

RSS Feed </> Embed