ITT Technical Institute

Updated September 29, 2014
2.3

ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

Pros
  • Pay was decent for no experience and no degree (in 14 reviews)

• The reward of helping students achieve their goals is priceless (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance - required to work 6-7 days per week and on vacation or sick leave (in 17 reviews)

• Tales from students about financial aid acquired through the company sounds shady at best (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

if you want a position that will teach you what you don't want, this is it

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

schedule ok. dress code not too bad. i have a great manager.

Cons

old systems. overly frustrating processes. upper management has unrealistic expectations, does not care about employees or students. compensation is very poor. instead of working on technology upgrades or processes that would help all employees and in benefit to instructors, and students, upper management expects everyone to work harder with 100s of steps and exceptions in each process. mostly manual. lots of room for error which is not acceptable. a few of the directors treat highly educated people like children in a daycare worrying about lunchtimes and vacations instead of how to make itt a great school for everyone.

grow up. treat people with respect and your turnover will go down. take millions away from the ceo and invest in the business that gave you those millions. hire people who have vision, not using employees as a power trip for ego boosting. stop blaming instructors for all issues. pay market value. you have highly educated and passionate people...tap into them instead of stepping on them.

More of a corporation than a college.

Current Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can leave your car in the parking lot while you travel (since it's so close to the airport). I am encouraged to use up all my sick days. Working late starts twice a week can be nice so i can sleep in or fit in a yoga class.

Cons

Benefits are a slap in the face...just embarrassing. Micro-management is abundant. It's a hard to sell an education you don't believe in (but that is a personal problem for me).

Let go of the micro-management. It does not encourage productivity or motivation. Just stay away.

My experience was good, ONLY because I had an awesome boss and coworkers

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My campus had great co-workers.

Cons

Academic Affairs and Recruitment are always at odds due to conflicting goals. Also it is impossible to move up in the company, even after years of employment. If you do move up, no matter the position, you only receive a ten percent raise.

Appreciate and value your employees, especially the good ones. It's very sad that even when an employee deserves a "1" in their yearly evaluation, no one receives it because it has to be approved and signed by the CEO. What does that say about you Mr. Modany? HQ really needs to re-evaluate how to treat employees. The school has really gone down hill in the last 7 to 8 years

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

After several years, it's time to go.

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Carmel, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Courses are taught online- no wardrobe or transportation costs.

Cons

Faculty managers insist on not supporting the standards proclaimed by ITT Tech, and in fact, state in emails not to follow them. No opportunity for a raise or promotion.

Screen the faculty managers a little more carefully. I had good luck for years, but the most recent one under whom I worked seemed to have scattered thoughts, and came up with strange metrics. One evaluation, I was told I graded too rigorously, then next, I was too soft.

ITT Tech could be a good company but HQ, bad management, and greed ruin it.

Current Employee - Community Relations Specialist
    Current Employee - Community Relations Specialist

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great co-workers but main management all the way up to corporate HQ ruin interests of employees and students. Salary is good.

Cons

HQ and poor management ruin work-life balance. There is no standard for student acceptance and they let people in who barely passed high school attempt college level courses.

Not enough space or time for advice

Poor communication and support from management.

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time for less than a year

Pros

Students are eager to learn.

Cons

Emphasis on keeping seats filled vs education.

Low Pay

Current Employee - Director of Career Services
    Current Employee - Director of Career Services

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

Depending on what department you're working in, it can be rewarding. Doesn't usually require particularly long hours. Offers medical, dental, and vision benefits, plus 401k matching.

Cons

The pay is not competitive compared to the rest of the industry. Job responsibilities are ambiguous. The organization is very centralized, so managers have no room for creativity or decision-making at the campus-level. Extremely numbers driven, and HQ prescribes a one-size-fits-all goal to all campuses.

Focus more on the process rather than the results. Take a closer look at each market you're a part of, one-size-fits-all is doing you a disservice in your smaller markets.

Online - Constant management turnover, instructors facing increasing workload

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Carmel, IN

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Teaching online is convenient. Helping students help themselves is always a positive factor. Having a 401-K with matching from company is nice.

Cons

Department chairpersons are constantly being replaced. Having continuously increasing academic duties taking away from dealing with students is frustrating. Instructor morale is low. My salary today is lower than it was 9 years ago, but more work is expected. Online teaching system (equivalent to Blackboard) is buggy. Extremely difficult to determine what my paycheck will be prior to actually being paid.

More pay. Stop varying the pay based on number of students. Send out email indicating how much our pay will be, and itemize by course.

pretty boring

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Richmond, VA

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

most of the people where nice

Cons

few leads, little work, no incentives, tier system

try some new marketing to get more prospects

Wonderfull

Current Employee - Networking  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Networking in Houston, TX

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

Team Work ,Friendly Enviroment ,Educatuions

Cons

Economical Issue,Vacations ,Insurance High,Over Time

Courses for advancement

ITT Technical Institute Photos

ITT-Tech Albuquerque
Facility
ITT Tech

+ Add Photo

Worked for ITT Technical Institute? Contribute to the Community!