IXL Learning Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
4.1

IXL Learning CEO Paul Mishkin
Paul Mishkin

Just a few weeks in; loving it so far!

Current Employee - Product Analyst  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've only been working at IXL for a few weeks now, but so far I feel incredibly lucky to have found this job. The work I'm doing is challenging, interesting, and rewarding, the hours are flexible, and everyone at the office is very smart and friendly (when I find myself in the elevator with someone I've never met before, they almost invariably introduce themselves to me). The office itself is beautiful and inviting (without resembling a college dorm, as some other tech companies do), and the company offers some nice perks (yoga, massage, team sports, happy hours, etc.) yet doesn't seem to expect its employees to live at work in exchange. I also love that IXL is very committed to providing high-quality educational content - not just fun, flashy games, etc.

Cons

None yet, though I expect it's inevitable that some cons will emerge with time.

Great environment with fun and hard working people

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Apart from the excellent benefits and perks of working at IXL, I love the atmosphere of the office. As a new hire, everyone is very welcoming and friendly. The management is very approachable and I do not feel as intimidated as I expected.

Cons

None have come up since I have been here other than the inconvenience of the office not being located in San Francisco. However, San Mateo is great and there are plenty of restaurants and stores around to grab lunch/dinner or run errands after work.

i love ixl so far!!! A very nice place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast growing company.
    People are really nice and easy going.
    Lots of activities going on.
    Beatiful office!!

Cons

Haven't found one yet. Like a typical startup.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of talent

Current Employee - Software Development  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a pleasure to work at IXL, because they are an excellent software company. Many IXL employees enjoy working here---not just people in my department. IXL’s performance in their industry is golden. At IXL we handle really challenging tasks---the ones that other software companies are struggling with, and we get them done. The success achieved by this company requires extensive knowledge and dedication, and the company as a whole has that in spades. IXL is a great company and I will always hold it in the highest esteem, even if I accept a position at another company.

Cons

The area is very pricy to try to live nearby the office location. Some of the management is inexperienced, but hey I guess they have to start somewhere. During periods of crunch time, dinner is only provided 2 days out of the week.

Don't just promote people because they've been here a long time, ensure they have the credentials to let them succeed in a higher position.

Love working at IXL so far!

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time

Pros

Everyone is very dedicated to the mission of improving education through technology. Coworkers are great: smart, friendly, social, and passionate about what they do. Really nice, newly renovated office. Company has been very successful and is growing fast.

Cons

It's not located in SF.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Educational Sales Consultant  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Educational Sales Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazingly passionate company. Every employee seems to feel supported, appreciated, and excited. The company truly appreciates their employees and deeply cares about producing a good quality product. IXL is an excellent place to work.

Cons

The training procedure for the Sales Consultants has not been fully developed yet so it was confusing at times. The management is aware and is fixing this problem quickly.

Fast growing company with room to make your mark

Current Employee - Educational Sales Consultant  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Educational Sales Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture shows that management cares about its employees. Lots of autonomy in job. Management brings high level of experience within ed publishing, and this helps a lot. There are many resources to help you, but you have to seek them out.

Cons

Training is a little haphazard, sometimes your left guessing what to do next. Compensation structure seems fair, but depends on making a quota.

Create flexibility in work schedule by allowing reps to work from home at times.

I love my co-workers and my job!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been working at IXL for almost 5 years, and I love it here! The company one of the leading EdTech companys in the world, we get to create and sell
    Products that directly impact students and teachers everywhere. Also, believe it or not the upper management truly truly cares about its employees. I have seen this from the start. The environment is work hard play hard. I've given the company a lot of me, but they have given me a lot in return (great pay, amazing benefits, growth opportunity...). I've also made some of the greatest friends at IXL--I'm so grateful they are picky about hiring!

All in all, I'm very lucky to have had the opportunity to grow my career at a company like IXL.

Cons

The only thing I can think of are some growing pains, but we're hiring at such a fast rate and I don't foresee it being an issue!

Keep up everything you're doing, and keep being open and approachable with your employees, no matter how big we get.

Very unprofessional

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Mateo, CA

I worked at IXL Learning as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Realizes it's disorganized, is open to suggestion and proposals

Cons

-Unprofessional... completely unprofessional
    -Chaotic and unorganized
    -Inexperienced Leadership

I noticed since working with IXL about a year ago the reviews have suddenly moved up from 2 stars to almost 4, so either the management there has changed or there are a bunch of fake reviews.
    I never got around to writing a review, so I might as well.

Leads, in order to be competitive in this space you need to get rid of the relics from the stone ages you call management and get with the program. Your technology is outdated, your aesthetics and your process.

Paying contractors on time would be nice too, this is business not charity.

Great team, Growing company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

The biggest reason I decided to join IXL was the team that I'd be working on. I met everyone on my small team during my interview, and thought it would be a good place to grow in my individual career with the guidance of a seasoned manager (which is often hard to find in growing tech companies). I love my team and manager and have already been given more responsibility in the three months that I've been here. I love collaborating across teams, and working closely with IXL's software engineers. Everyone here really cares about what they do, and almost everyone is very friendly and easy to get along with.

IXL is a profitable, healthy company, and I appreciate the ability to work at a growing, exciting tech company that has normal/flexible hours, actual benefits, and people who have lives outside of work.

Cons

Normal stress of a growing company... teams and managers are shifting a lot and communication about that could be smoother.

Would love to see more experienced senior management added to the team to scale with the size of the company. Sounds like there are a lot of new ideas from all over the team about new products, features, and HR implementation, and we can't seem to grow fast enough to keep up and move on all those ideas!

Worked for IXL Learning? Contribute to the Community!