IXL Learning Reviews

Reset
4.4
IXL Learning CEO Paul Mishkin
Paul Mishkin

NOT Your father's tech company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IXL Learning (Less than a year)

Pros

Supporting education is a vital exercise -- nice to have your working hours count for something besides a paycheck. GREAT people so far! Benefits/perks much better than at similar companies in this area.

Cons

Initial salary is lower than for comparable roles at other companies, but annual raises and overall company culture have gone a long way to alleviate that!

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees as well as you treat your customers, and we'll get along just fiiiiine!

Great place to work!

Pros

Great people, flexible hours, great benefits, fun work environment.

Cons

I can't think of anything, but glassdoor is making me write something, so I will list something pointless: the pond outside of the building looks like it could use a cleaning.

Supportive and Individualized Work Environment

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time

Pros

Supportive work environment that is concerned with the development of employees. Great training that gives you the tools to do your job while nurturing an individual's unique background and creativity.

Cons

I have a long commute, but I am figuring that out with time.

Enjoyed time at IXL so far!

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

Pros

-Positive work environment -Collaborative team effort -Focus on creating best product possible -Open, clear communication -Great benefits and compensation -Past the hectic start up phase, but still avoids unnecessary bureaucracy

Cons

-Not a very exciting location -Still features more of a cubicle/office environment than an open office set up

Work doesn't seem like work

Current Employee - Product Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm challenged each day with new projects and important decisions, and I love it! Collaboration with my team and face-to-face meetings make up a significant part of my work week, which helps us all stay on the same page and get things done in a timely manner. The community at IXL is welcoming, comfortable, and hard-working. I've only been working here 3 weeks and already feel like a part of the IXL family.

Cons

So far, I have no cons other than having to be inside most the day in this sunny city.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing!

Great company for those starting their career in educational tech

Current Employee - Membership Specialist in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Membership Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Fantastic product loved by educators across the world. Really feel like you're making a difference working for this company. -Great starting salary and benefits. -Great work/life balance. -Great co-workers. -Open door management. Really feel like I can approach management with my questions and concerns.

Cons

-Training is a little unguided owing to the company's rapid expansion; my first couple of weeks saw a lot of me just left to my own devices surfing the web.

Advice to Management

-Really hammer out a training schedule to eliminate wasted time. I felt a little guilty being paid this much only to be left to my own devices for a couple of weeks.

A welcoming and challenging company

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people are really great-- very sincere, driven, and funny the amenities are nice-- the kitchens are convenient and there are many spaces to work in free coffee, refreshments, tea, etc. laid back social opportunities -- there are opportunities to hang out with coworkers at fun events, but there is no pressure to be more social than you want to be.

Cons

Some tech companies have free snacks for their employees. While it isn't a huge deal, IXL does not really have snacks on a regular basis. There are some events that are fully catered and free which is nice, but there is no vending machine or snack bar.

The Real Story

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Some of the people are really fantastic. Unfortunately, they don't stay long.

Cons

CEO and VPs are not to be trusted. It is a regular practice to fire employees, regardless of title or seniority.

Advice to Management

Value your employees' contributions, especially those who are seasoned. Dedicate your efforts to keeping morale high rather than offering free drinks and other perks that have no meaning to people who value job security and feeling appreciated.

Exciting, innovative

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging environment with tons of really smart and motivated people. Competant leadership striving for high standards.

Cons

Still small, but growing. Need to stay on your toes to keep up with the changing landscape and demands of E-learning in today's educational system.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! We're moving in the right direction and poised for big things in the coming years.

Caring place

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time

Pros

The company is sincere about improving education and cares about its customers. Plenty of volunteer events and other activities help people get to know each other. Intelligent and interesting coworkers. Idyllic office setting.

Cons

The company is more conservative with perks than some other tech businesses. They are good but not over the top. On the flip side they are more generous with space and provide cubes and offices rather than open seating.

Advice to Management

I feel secure in the company's future. Keep hiring people keen on making a difference, as well as maintaining a long-term focus. The company is on the right trajectory.

RSS Feed </> Embed