IXL Learning

Updated January 26, 2015
4.0

IXL Learning CEO Paul Mishkin
Paul Mishkin

Great company for technologists and new grads

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Good benefits
    Flexible schedule
    Kind, funny employees
    Some professional/personal development opportunities
    Good opportunity for growth
    CEO is very thoughtful and smart, even though he's quiet he makes an effort to get to know employees
    Company is definitely growing
    Lots of new content/features in development

I personally feel that my accomplishments have been recognized and rewarded. I know others haven't necessarily felt the same in previous reviews, but perhaps that's improving? Or maybe just my own experience.

Cons

Not a lot of training available for people who need a lot of structure and manager involvement.

Managers could probably use some additional training opportunities.

Micromanaged and problematic

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy, unchallenging work, good medical benefits, free drinks. Hours are not too crazy. The people are generally well-meaning and nice.

The company isn't going anywhere right now. They play to the traditional classroom, which is good for profits. You won't have to worry about the company going under (but don't expect the profits to pass onto you, either).

Cons

Don't expect a challenge working here. This company sets the bar extremely high for who they hire, and then gives their smart, talented employees boring, menial work to fill the day. The CEO is overly involved in every product, every decision, every everything.

There are no politics if you fit in. If you don't -- that is, if you're not a family-oriented white or Asian straight or mainstream gay person with 1.7 kids who really likes softball -- then you're likely to find yourself on the outside. Treatment in the workplace, in terms of who gets flexible hours, interesting projects, praise, promotions, and a big yearly raise, is different and seems to run right along these characteristics.

There is essentially no HR knowledge or staff at this company. Know your rights when you work here, because they don't, and they don't care to learn. Most management has no idea what the word "discrimination" means, nor do they seem to think it matters.

Choose one: listen to the ideas of a group of smart, talented employees, or micromanage a group of mediocre employees. Don't pull the bait and switch on employees who can do way better.

Build a culture that encourages respect for people of all walks of life.

super chill place.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at IXL Learning as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Solid team of smart hardworking people. Schedule was pretty much self-dictated, so long as you got stuff done. Strong sense of community within the company, with lots of group events like intramural soccer and softball.

Cons

IXL doesn't really have any strong cons. Educational technology isn't as sexy on a resume as other more traditional tech fields, so it's a minor con if you care about that kind of stuff.

Be more confident in your leadership!

Intelligent and hospitable environment

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture is fun and laid back with no office politics.
    Coworkers are intelligent, helpful, and never patronizing.
    Anyone up through upper middle management is approachable and receptive.
    Flexible work hours.
    Good benefits.
    Feel good about making a positive impact on the world through education.

Cons

Doesn't offer as many perks as other companies in the Bay.
    Senior management is not so approachable.

Facilitate more inter-team communication.
    Coding standards need to be clear as the company grows.

A great company to work for.

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Even though I've only worked here for a couple of months, I can say that IXL really cares about their employees. My experience at IXL has been great. While you are expected to work hard, there are plenty of opportunities for you to have fun while working here.

This is my first work experience and I was expecting work to be hard and stressful but every day I wake up looking forward to go to work.

Cons

I haven't had any problems during my time working here.

Just a few weeks in; loving it so far!

Current Employee - Product Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've only been working at IXL for a few weeks now, but so far I feel incredibly lucky to have found this job. The work I'm doing is challenging, interesting, and rewarding, the hours are flexible, and everyone at the office is very smart and friendly (when I find myself in the elevator with someone I've never met before, they almost invariably introduce themselves to me). The office itself is beautiful and inviting (without resembling a college dorm, as some other tech companies do), and the company offers some nice perks (yoga, massage, team sports, happy hours, etc.) yet doesn't seem to expect its employees to live at work in exchange. I also love that IXL is very committed to providing high-quality educational content - not just fun, flashy games, etc.

Cons

None yet, though I expect it's inevitable that some cons will emerge with time.

Great environment with fun and hard working people

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Apart from the excellent benefits and perks of working at IXL, I love the atmosphere of the office. As a new hire, everyone is very welcoming and friendly. The management is very approachable and I do not feel as intimidated as I expected.

Cons

None have come up since I have been here other than the inconvenience of the office not being located in San Francisco. However, San Mateo is great and there are plenty of restaurants and stores around to grab lunch/dinner or run errands after work.

i love ixl so far!!! A very nice place to work.

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company.
    People are really nice and easy going.
    Lots of activities going on.
    Beatiful office!!

Cons

Haven't found one yet. Like a typical startup.

Irresponsible, slow and inconsistent within HR system and jovite, and bad communication with hiring engineers.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company is a great company with a good mission on strongly educating people.

Cons

Could HRs be more consistent, updated, and do not waste their own and applicants' time please?

Please keep HRs(also between HR and jovite staff) and engineers be consistent about hiring people, applicants do not want to waste human resources staff and engineers time, but also please do not waste applicants' time.
    Thank you.

Lots of talent

Current Employee - Software Development in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a pleasure to work at IXL, because they are an excellent software company. Many IXL employees enjoy working here---not just people in my department. IXL’s performance in their industry is golden. At IXL we handle really challenging tasks---the ones that other software companies are struggling with, and we get them done. The success achieved by this company requires extensive knowledge and dedication, and the company as a whole has that in spades. IXL is a great company and I will always hold it in the highest esteem, even if I accept a position at another company.

Cons

The area is very pricy to try to live nearby the office location. Some of the management is inexperienced, but hey I guess they have to start somewhere. During periods of crunch time, dinner is only provided 2 days out of the week.

Don't just promote people because they've been here a long time, ensure they have the credentials to let them succeed in a higher position.