IXL Learning

IXL Learning Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

IXL Learning CEO Paul Mishkin

Paul Mishkin

Love working at IXL so far!

ProsEveryone is very dedicated to the mission of improving education through technology. Coworkers are great: smart, friendly, social, and passionate about what they do. Really nice, newly renovated office. Company has been very successful and is growing fast.

ConsIt's not located in SF.

Great place to work!

Educational Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsAmazingly passionate company. Every employee seems to feel supported, appreciated, and excited. The company truly appreciates their employees and deeply cares about producing a good quality product. IXL is an excellent place to work.

ConsThe training procedure for the Sales Consultants has not been fully developed yet so it was confusing at times. The management is aware and is fixing this problem quickly.

Fast growing company with room to make your mark

Educational Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsCompany culture shows that management cares about its employees. Lots of autonomy in job. Management brings high level of experience within ed publishing, and this helps a lot. There are many resources to help you, but you have to seek them out.

ConsTraining is a little haphazard, sometimes your left guessing what to do next. Compensation structure seems fair, but depends on making a quota.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate flexibility in work schedule by allowing reps to work from home at times.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love my co-workers and my job!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsI've been working at IXL for almost 5 years, and I love it here! The company one of the leading EdTech companys in the world, we get to create and sell
    Products that directly impact students and teachers everywhere. Also, believe it or not the upper management truly truly cares about its employees. I have seen this from the start. The environment is work hard play hard. I've given the company a lot of me, but they have given me a lot in return (great pay, amazing benefits, growth opportunity...). I've also made some of the greatest friends at IXL--I'm so grateful they are picky about hiring!

All in all, I'm very lucky to have had the opportunity to grow my career at a company like IXL.

ConsThe only thing I can think of are some growing pains, but we're hiring at such a fast rate and I don't foresee it being an issue!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up everything you're doing, and keep being open and approachable with your employees, no matter how big we get.

Great team, Growing company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe biggest reason I decided to join IXL was the team that I'd be working on. I met everyone on my small team during my interview, and thought it would be a good place to grow in my individual career with the guidance of a seasoned manager (which is often hard to find in growing tech companies). I love my team and manager and have already been given more responsibility in the three months that I've been here. I love collaborating across teams, and working closely with IXL's software engineers. Everyone here really cares about what they do, and almost everyone is very friendly and easy to get along with.

IXL is a profitable, healthy company, and I appreciate the ability to work at a growing, exciting tech company that has normal/flexible hours, actual benefits, and people who have lives outside of work.

ConsNormal stress of a growing company... teams and managers are shifting a lot and communication about that could be smoother.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould love to see more experienced senior management added to the team to scale with the size of the company. Sounds like there are a lot of new ideas from all over the team about new products, features, and HR implementation, and we can't seem to grow fast enough to keep up and move on all those ideas!

Very unprofessional

Anonymous (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsRealizes it's disorganized, is open to suggestion and proposals

Cons-Unprofessional... completely unprofessional
    -Chaotic and unorganized
    -Inexperienced Leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementI noticed since working with IXL about a year ago the reviews have suddenly moved up from 2 stars to almost 4, so either the management there has changed or there are a bunch of fake reviews.
    I never got around to writing a review, so I might as well.

Leads, in order to be competitive in this space you need to get rid of the relics from the stone ages you call management and get with the program. Your technology is outdated, your aesthetics and your process.

Paying contractors on time would be nice too, this is business not charity.

6 weeks in and loving it

Product Analyst (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsI've been working at IXL Learning for a handful of weeks and really enjoy every aspect of the job, the team I am on, and the environment at the company. IXL is filled with a lot of fun, hard-working folks, which makes coming to work a pleasure. I really take a great deal of pride in my work, and this can be hard to mesh with a work environment that aims at quantity of output over quality. This has not been the case with IXL where there really is a push towards an innovative, quality product. I couldn't recommend this place high enough.

ConsI have nothing to write here.

IXL is a great place to work and be surrounded by talented people who care about what they do.

ProsI really enjoy working with competent, intelligent people. There are many great opportunities for individual development and growth. The company also offers good benefits and has nice social events.

ConsThe office can be rather quiet, which can discourage interaction among employees. The reasons why things are done in particular ways can be unclear and there seems to be resistance to changes/suggestions.

Growth: it's what's for dinner.

ProsThe company is going through a period of rapid expansion and with that come new opportunities and challenges - you can definitely make an impact at this point. That's exciting!

The company is actively investing in it's employees through newly remodeled floor plans and programs designed to increase efficiency across the board. It's refreshing to see a company actively pushing for the benefit of it's employees.

The company hosts game nights, trivia outings, happy hours, sports teams and other socials that allow employees to find their niche and connect with people from other departments. Strong relationships can happen quickly.

There is pretty universal excitement amongst employees about the products that we're creating. The core vision is still heavily focused on education and making better platforms for learning. Money is important, but it's really more of an offshoot of building solid products that meet a need.

Compensation is very competitive for the area.

ConsThe company has gone through a lot of growth in the last couple of years. IXL still needs some time to build out stronger infrastructure for continued growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep reaching out to employees for feedback. Fostering an environment wherein ground up communication is valued will have immeasurable returns.

It's a privilege to work here

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

Pros-All employees are approachable, especially the higher-ups.
    -Programming skill level of all engineers is high--you'll learn a lot.
    -There's much room for job advancement since the company is growing fast.
    -Located in the north of Foster City, there is easy access to both downtown San Mateo and to the Hillsdale shopping center.

Cons-Not exactly a small company anymore, so the employees aren't as tight as they were, say, 3-4 years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. ;)

Worked for IXL Learning? Contribute to the Community!