Icebreaker

Updated January 1, 2015
Updated January 1, 2015
3.2

Jeremy Moon

Retail store - Great pay for retail, but the boredom is still included.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Woodburn, OR
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Woodburn, OR

I have been working at Icebreaker part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is great compared to other retailers. Management accommodates your living situation, let's say if you were to move to a new city - they may up your pay rate. If you love to organize, Icebreaker/retail is your job to have. The co-workers tend to match up with the company culture/lifestyle - very laid back, fun, outgoing, talkative. You are surrounded with amazing clothing. The company discount is very generous and you get to pick out an outfit or two when you first initially start with the company.

Cons

Retail is slow. You have to be O.K. with keeping yourself busy. Inventory count/seasonal changes are tedious. The turnover rate is consistent given that retail isn't usually an end-goal for someone's career - all depends though.

Enjoyable job but keep a rainy day savings because you will probably be laid off.

Former Employee - Marketing in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Marketing in Portland, OR

I worked at Icebreaker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere, fun product to work on/sell. Large liquor cabinet in corporate HQs which equals fun parties.

Cons

The management seems to feel their way through growth blindly, and most often has to lay off entire teams of people and move teams from one city to another (or one country to another) to achieve their growth goals. I saw teams of people being laid off before my layoff and know of lots of layoffs that have happened since my ties were severed. They do not value commitment from employees and do not give any reason to want to be loyal to the Icebreaker family. Icebreaker also values partying a lot, and if you don't enjoy drinking a lot you might get shunned as being "anti-social" if you are not careful.

Beware of clique at NYC stores

I have been working at Icebreaker

Pros

There used to be but now that I'm more familiar with the workings of the company, none.

Cons

Applied for a job at the NYC touch labs, where after two successful interviews was told by management that praised my experience and skills, that 'I was great, but did not fit in the "family,"'whatever that means.
    Manager indicated that personality was much more important than skills and knowledge.
    Asked inappropriate questions during interview process.

Management needs to decide whether they wish to run a business or a social clique in their efforts to grow a successful company.

Work hard, play hard, sleep well!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Icebreaker as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

The most satisfying product and philosophy I have ever sold.

Cons

I have only good things to say about this brand!

Great Company. Specializes in Merino wool from NZ.

Former Employee - Touchlab Consultant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Touchlab Consultant in Portland, OR

I worked at Icebreaker

Pros

Eco friendly. Sustainable practices. Fun work environment. Located in New Zealand and their US offices in Portland Oregon. Incredible products.

Cons

Product quality sometimes had it's QC issues, but for the most part was made with high standards. Pricing was high.

Look to promote people from within the organization who are passionate about what they do and who love the company that they work for.

Excellent Company That Lives the Lifestyle They Promote

I have been working at Icebreaker

Pros

Work/life balance HIGHLY encouraged. Excellent product, company morals/standards, review policies, compensation, mgmt, offices, growth, events, allowance, perks, passion.

Cons

Being an international company there's a bit of a disconnect from certain departments, but it's not really a big deal.

None. Bang up job, folks.