Iceland Foods

Updated January 2, 2015
3.2

Iceland Foods Chairman and CEO Malcolm C. Walker
Malcolm C. Walker

Pros
  • 10% discount card, holiday hours, good pay rate 7 (in 6 reviews)

• The working environment is very clean and professional in a modern stylish building (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • expected to work for free if a job is not finished, ie the shop is not full at night (in 4 reviews)

• Unpr Work life balance is really bad (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Former Employee - Finance Manager
    Former Employee - Finance Manager

I worked at Iceland Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a flat structure, which supports a fast and impressive learning curve. The leaders of the business are very experienced, innovative and passionate people.

Cons

The company is not highly regarded externally, which is a massive shame because this is a truly amazing company. In terms of the work environment i only have positive things to say

not the greatest place to work

Former Employee - Home Delivery Driver in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Home Delivery Driver in Kent, WA

I worked at Iceland Foods

Pros

wage is ok. otherwise steer clear.

Cons

drivers are left to get on with it, hardly any help or no help and if somethings not right you have to go through the whole lot of shopping which costs you time, expected to get all delivery's done, back to store, unload and re-load ready for the next time slot, even work through your lunch break if not finished, it just doesn't work.management not interested if your late because of traffic/ obstructions or if you cant find a specific place. responsible for everything to do with the van. stressful times. lots more that goes on behind the scenes thats unfair.

drivers need help, whole thing needs re-looking at and sorting out. not as great company as is advertised.

supervisor job offer in London

Current Employee - Supervisor in London, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in London, CA

I have been working at Iceland Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good work environment where you can improve yourselves with everyday challenge and fast paced give you all the operational and people management experience that will stand you in great stead for the future, arming you with the knowledge and confidence to move up the ladder when you’re well and truly ready to do so.

Cons

You’ll work closely with, and support the Store Manager, standing in their shoes for periods of holidays, absence for meetings and training. So, you’ll need to be committed and motivated to maintain the high standards that are already in place. But you won’t be thrown in at the deep end. You’ll get plenty of on-the-job technical and operational training to give you a greater understanding of the bigger picture. And, in turn develop the skills to become a competent Trainee Manager for the future.

Good company

Current Employee - Duty Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Duty Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Iceland Foods

Pros

Very good, fair company. Encourage employees to build relationships and always work around what you can work

Cons

Cannot be full time unless a manager

Did not last long with this Employer - or at least as long as I would have liked

Former Employee - Home Delivery Driver in Boston, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Home Delivery Driver in Boston, England (UK)

I worked at Iceland Foods as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Everybody who works there are approachable and friendly

Cons

The level at which a driver is required to work is physically impossible and I started EACH shift - EVERY shift - 1 hr before my actual shift started in order to get deliveries done. As a driver it is EXPECTED that the driver contacts the customers using their OWN phone, the driver is required to provide his own SatNav as they are not provided, I also bought my own HiViz, Torch for late night deliveries. Alot of people on 7.5hr contracts and the entire branch had a lot of staff so hours were wide spread across many people rather than fewer people having decent full time jobs. There were no lights on the back of the refrigerated unit so travelling down narrow back roads across the countryside was highly dangerous and I am sure this is illegal in the transport world. I found myself working a 7-8 hour shift due to Customer services or the customers not providing the right postcodes which was infuriating to me as I only got paid for 4 regardless of why it took so long. One example is visiting a customer and getting to the exact location of the postcode only to find that they would not answer the phone...so I returned for my next 2 hour slot and did this one last. I made EVERY possible step to help myself and resulted in informing the Manager to which he would take me through the same steps I had already made using the internet on my phone achieving the same results I had got. I found the Customers home only to show them the number and they had called the customer services department to update their number which now had too many numbers on my second run report and was completely incorrect. The number was correct on the first slot but due to it being late the customer had rang to complain and went through their details and during this time the number had been, in affect, wiped following their complaint meaning I would have to drive around. I heard The Manager on 3 occasions tell me 'You were stitched up mate' when looking at my run....when you hear these words on repeated occasion you begin to wonder if the problem was actually addressed.

You are struggling to make your business work it would seem and it is to the downfall of the employee. Your targets are not realistic where the drivers are concerned and the function at Branch Level needs restructuring. Happy Staff are productive staff is a concept that needs to be noted. It cost me just over £100 (buying equipment to do the job) at the start where other companies have satnavs in the vehicle already installed and the fact that it STATES in the Health & Safety documents that ALL drivers are provided with a HiViz, Personal alarm and none of these were actually issued. You are putting money over people and this is not healthy for the employee.

Alright place to work part time

Current Employee - Duty Manager
    Current Employee - Duty Manager

I have been working at Iceland Foods

Pros

Good work environment, everyone is nice

Cons

Only give 7.5h contracts, work overload for hardworking people

Acknowledge better who's hard working and maybe give those more hours, not more work

Used to be zing, now its very poor in afraid

Former Employee - Area Manager
    Former Employee - Area Manager

I worked at Iceland Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The customers, I worked in a lot of stores and the customers are great.

Cons

A pity it's come to this, used to be an amazing company. Higher management have made some risky decisions which has lead to redundancies throughout the company. Wage budgets decreased beyond workable. Unfortunately the poor staff are suffering. I was very high up within company and had to leave , couldn't face the store staff anymore. Felt so guilty knowing that orders from high up were given to us to basically ruin people's lives and squeeze every bit of energy out of them.

Work in stores yourselves for a few days. Get a feel for the company and how hard those amazing staff are on the ground

Like working within one big happy family.

Former Employee - Cashier in Keighley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Keighley, England (UK)

I worked at Iceland Foods part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well, offer great incentives, bonuses for the hardest working store, the chance to progress and train within the company to management and beyond, great staff parties, staff discount.. The list is endless.

Cons

The contracts are only 7.5 hours which can be a problem. If they have a low budget for wages one week then you can find your hours are cut drastically. Then the next week they will jump right back up. You never knew what to expect. But luckily I was flexible at the time but had to leave once I began college as I wasn't guaranteed set hours.
    There is also no thanks given to long service.

More respect to staff who have served a long time at your company. i.e pay rise!
    Head office and areas managers should spend more time at individual stores and try and get to know full time staff as many staff dread head office visits and feel uncomfortable.
    Better tills! They are so old fashioned!
    Maybe look at stocking more fresh food in some of the smaller stores.
    Struggling to think of cons..

It paid the bills

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Nailsea, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Nailsea, England (UK)

I have been working at Iceland Foods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really good wages, opportunity to learn a lot depending on current manager as they always seem to change. Good people to work with in my store, and they offer staff discount.

Cons

I had a really bad manager towards the end and that's why I left, theres not good communication within the stores and overall the company. There was never many hours available to me when I asked for them. No respect given for length of time working there.

I think it's important to make sure the management working within stores are right for the job as the past 3 managers I had didn't know what they were doing, their communication was bad and they didn't listen to other's needs. No one asked where I went when I left and I had been there almost 3 years.

it is okay i suppose

Current Employee - Stock Assistant/Cashier/Non Trade Duty Manager in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Iceland Foods part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the pros of working at Iceland is the team you work with, their are like family. i can talk to the management about anything.

Cons

its now getting into hard work with all the 89p products taking a big affect on us as we have to work even harder to keep everything on sale. also there is not enough money in the bugets to get the staff in to correct this so its strain on the mangers to. its also a shame we only get 10% off our shopping. while other stores have a whooping 25% off. its also a concern of mine that the company is getting worse and worse and forgeting customer loyalty over sales.

i have one suggestion which may bring a lot of money to the company. i am currently a student and all i have had is discounts to encourage me to shop/eat places. the only retail market which offered me discount was online based ovcado. why don't we offer 10% off to students, on the basis that they show their student card to the cashier, this will create a new customer base within university's. this will be big money for the company i reckon.