Icing by Claire's

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

2.9

CEO

Frustrating and a never ending cycle.

Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

If your self motivated its great, you work by yourself a lot. There's almost always something to do, POG, Markdowns, Mark out of stock or a big event.

Cons

A lot of the time alone, not enough hours when you need someone else during the week. The never ending cycle of the same thing. The Company constantly changing promos, as soon as one goes up, you are immediately taking it down. They need more organization and thought processes before conducting last minute sales.
    As a manager there is so much to do, and so little time to do it. There are also virtually NO hours for training, so it become nearly impossible to train your staff they way you'd like.

Managers need to push for more hours. We lose a lot of business simply because one employee can't always balance 3piercings, a line at the cash wrap, a store full of people, and keep teenagers from stealing. They need to add more hours and better protect their merchandise.

There is a lot of work to be done in a little amount of time, for a little amount of money.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

It is kind of laid back. The discount is amazing , super cute merchandise, piercings are encouraged! I loved being able to pierce ears. I got paid vacation, sick, and personal time.

Cons

They have so many task to be done yet don't give hours for it. By yourself most every shift. Hardly any coverage, all black clothing. Way too much work for just 1 person. It has always been extremely hard for me to take one of my paid vacations. Low compensation, especially for the amount of work you put in.

Definitely allocate hours to do floor sets, markdowns, training. These task shouldn't be done during the day with one person while you're focusing on customer service 100% (other than training.) They should have 2 people coverage at night. Its scary walking the deposit by yourself.

Fantastic pay, benefits, and coworkers, but extremely unrealistic goals from corporate management,

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

50% off discount
    Fun atmosphere
    One on one interaction with great customers
    Learning to pierce ears is rewarding and memorable
    The store offers beautiful accessories at a reasonable price

Cons

Goals are unrealistic and almost impossible to achieve
    Micromanaged poorly by corporate
    Expected to juggle ep's, sales, and stylist advice-- alone

Upper management- know your business, offer more hours weekly to accommodate customer volume

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

love it

Current Employee - Third Key  in  Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Third Key in Green Bay, WI

Pros

Amazing people to work for and with, love the vacation days,great hours, fun enviornment!

Cons

You're by yourself alot, and it can get hectic when you have to do a piercing, ring people up, and watch the store all at the same time.

more double coverage

STOP! ILLEGAL SWEAT SHOP NO BREAKS TREATMENT!!!!

Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Sell cool stuff but stop it looks shiny and pretty. Beware!

Cons

I am an in store employee. I consistently work 8 hours a day with no break, no sitting down, no meal time. I have worked 12 hour days without as much as sitting for 2 minutes. My supervisor was stupid enough to send me an email saying that if you work alone (as we all do that work for this company) you don't get a break.

Oh and let me tell you, you work off the clock. Why? They only allow 30 minutes to check out at night, if you go over? You get written up. In 30 minutes you have a print 4 reports, transfer those reports by hand (accounting) to a book, count out 2 cash register draws full of money and log the money count into the computer, tally the deposit and make it out, then fill out the deposit record, check all receipts for accuracy, register the computer with the elements of the day, weather, holiday, etc. Then go to the bank and do the deposit. This entire process has never taken me under 1 hour but I only get paid for a half hour. I was warned if I went over 30 minuted, I will be WRITTEN UP. So when I clock out at 9:50 I always change my time to be 9:30.

In the mornings when I get up after working 4 days in a row, my feet feel like I am walking on lumpy mashed potatoes. My feet now tingle and are numb. My Mother calls it a "Sweat Shop in the United States" and right in the mall. In plain sight!

After reading the other complaints here. I am going to the labor board. This problem is United States wide. So taking it to HR is not going to help. And btw my supervisor is the rudest, know it all, take away your glory person I have EVER MET! But she has met her match. I'm not going to take this crap!

Comply with State Labor Laws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After I talked with the Labor Board they advised I also contact Osha and The Equal Employment Opportunity dept of the U.S Labor Board to complain to them as well about other abuses. With my proven complaint, your in trouble! Fine city and I'm sure a nice news piece about a sweat shop in the US to boot. Straighten up you big bully and treat your employees with respect.....NOW!!!!!!!!!

Nice Enough

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Modesto, CA

Pros

Surrounded by pretty things, nice people to work with generally, discounts on merchandise. Here and there a satisfying customer experience will come your way, like helping a low-budget bride, or a mystified boyfriend find the perfect items for their needs. If you like helping people you will like this job.

Cons

VERY low hours on the outset, less if they don't plan to hire you long-term. Culture can be anywhere from warm to outright catty. Seasonal work very demanding with very little pay. If you have never worked retail, black friday will be a bit of a nasty shock.

Fewer workers who are paid well will work a heck of a lot better than a lot of dissatisfied temporary/"seasonal" workers who work much too hard to be rewarded with low hours. Also, if you're going to do the low wages thing at least make up for it with good references when they leave, managers change way too often to be a good source.

so disgusted

Pros

50 % off discount, the opportunity to help customers pick out accessories

Cons

rude manager, she use to be so pushy to customers and demand that they buy a second item (hair accessories, earrings and makeup is buy one get one 50%) use to pick and choose what customers she was going to be nice to.

instead of picking on sales associates start keeping a close eye on managers

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Ear Piercings, Customer Services, Laid back, discount is 50% off everything including clearance rack

Cons

Favoritism, No guaranteed hours, A lot of ON CALL shifts

Horrible company, rude to employees, previous Store Manager

Pros

Love the jewelry, environment and the staff I acquired. Enjoyed the visuals. Easy first job for some just starting out.

Cons

Wearing all black, not enough pay per work load, DM was harassing myself and other employees, fired me because I was looking for another job due to the lack of professionalism from her. Are not okay with someone going to school while working there.

Listen to your employees when you know upper management is not treating other employees right. Raise the pay rate or lighten the work load.

Don't care about their employees

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

Discount
    Small store to handle
    Great merchandise
    That's just about all of the pros into working for this company

Cons

Hmm where to begin... The list can go on
    -8+hour shift alone with no lunch break
    -The dumb black dress code
    -UNDERPAID ( employed for three years and just received first raise. Let's just say I can't even get half of a piece of candy with it. Pathetic.
    -want you to devote your entire life to work.
    -As an assistant manager I am doing the managers job while I get the crappy pay and the crap hours. Closing almost every night while the SM has the luxury of not closing and barely working Sundays. (Because I don't have a life)

Stop being cheap and be fair

Worked for Icing by Claire's? Contribute to the Community!