Icing by Claire's

Icing by Claire's Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fantastic pay, benefits, and coworkers, but extremely unrealistic goals from corporate management,

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros50% off discount
    Fun atmosphere
    One on one interaction with great customers
    Learning to pierce ears is rewarding and memorable
    The store offers beautiful accessories at a reasonable price

ConsGoals are unrealistic and almost impossible to achieve
    Micromanaged poorly by corporate
    Expected to juggle ep's, sales, and stylist advice-- alone

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management- know your business, offer more hours weekly to accommodate customer volume

love it

Third Key (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI

ProsAmazing people to work for and with, love the vacation days,great hours, fun enviornment!

ConsYou're by yourself alot, and it can get hectic when you have to do a piercing, ring people up, and watch the store all at the same time.

Advice to Senior Managementmore double coverage

so disgusted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros50 % off discount, the opportunity to help customers pick out accessories

Consrude manager, she use to be so pushy to customers and demand that they buy a second item (hair accessories, earrings and makeup is buy one get one 50%) use to pick and choose what customers she was going to be nice to.

Advice to Senior Managementinstead of picking on sales associates start keeping a close eye on managers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice Enough

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsSurrounded by pretty things, nice people to work with generally, discounts on merchandise. Here and there a satisfying customer experience will come your way, like helping a low-budget bride, or a mystified boyfriend find the perfect items for their needs. If you like helping people you will like this job.

ConsVERY low hours on the outset, less if they don't plan to hire you long-term. Culture can be anywhere from warm to outright catty. Seasonal work very demanding with very little pay. If you have never worked retail, black friday will be a bit of a nasty shock.

Advice to Senior ManagementFewer workers who are paid well will work a heck of a lot better than a lot of dissatisfied temporary/"seasonal" workers who work much too hard to be rewarded with low hours. Also, if you're going to do the low wages thing at least make up for it with good references when they leave, managers change way too often to be a good source.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsEar Piercings, Customer Services, Laid back, discount is 50% off everything including clearance rack

ConsFavoritism, No guaranteed hours, A lot of ON CALL shifts

Horrible company, rude to employees, previous Store Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLove the jewelry, environment and the staff I acquired. Enjoyed the visuals. Easy first job for some just starting out.

ConsWearing all black, not enough pay per work load, DM was harassing myself and other employees, fired me because I was looking for another job due to the lack of professionalism from her. Are not okay with someone going to school while working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees when you know upper management is not treating other employees right. Raise the pay rate or lighten the work load.

Great at first until you get to know the company.

Third Key (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsPay, hours, easy and laid back work environment, $0.15 raise every 6 months

ConsUnprofessional upper management, micromanaged, basically no way to get a higher pay in the company if you're in school,

Advice to Senior Managementbe more professional and caring towards the staff actually in the stores daily..

Don't care about their employees

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDiscount
    Small store to handle
    Great merchandise
    That's just about all of the pros into working for this company

ConsHmm where to begin... The list can go on
    -8+hour shift alone with no lunch break
    -The dumb black dress code
    -UNDERPAID ( employed for three years and just received first raise. Let's just say I can't even get half of a piece of candy with it. Pathetic.
    -want you to devote your entire life to work.
    -As an assistant manager I am doing the managers job while I get the crappy pay and the crap hours. Closing almost every night while the SM has the luxury of not closing and barely working Sundays. (Because I don't have a life)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being cheap and be fair

Third Key Holder

Keyholder (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsPaid Vacation after so many hours worked, great discount, schedule out almost a month in advance, actually training and paperwork certified to pierce ears

ConsWardrobe is all black, non promotions from within, no incentives, lame contest prizes, piercing is hard when a small child comes in and only one of you is there and the child doesn't want to do the second but the parent forces them instead of waiting to come back

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter dress code still mainly black but more colors of mostly black jeans should be allowed dark wash and promoting within and higher wages

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Overworked, underpaid

Store Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-Employee discount (50% off everything)
    -Fun customers
    -Ear piercing
    -Cute merchandise
    -Employee "freebies"

Cons-Health benefits way too expensive for what they cover

-Payroll hours nonexistent ~103 hours allotted for an entire week. Manager uses 40, ASM uses 35, only leave 28 hours to split 3 ways for other employees, but expected to have triple coverage on Saturdays, Mall is open 80 hours per week.

-No training hours for new employees.

-Often work alone with no chance of a break.

-Planograms (floor sets) are to be done while the store is open.

-Expected to pierce ears, prevent shoplifting, complete planogram and markdowns, work out shipment, greet customers and answer their questions, run the register, and answer the phone all while being the only person in the store. If you fail you are told you are not managing your time.

-Corporate is disconnected from stores, sets unreasonable goals.

-Almost impossible to be promoted after reaching store manager level.

-DSM has favorites and doesn't hide that fact. Also likes to single out stores and hound them until management is ready to crack under the pressure.

-Store managers have no power in disciplining their employees. Must go through DSM, who can take weeks to get in touch. Also, cannot reprimand the same employee twice within 30 days, even if they skip work.

-Very "catty" people who gossip to and about each other.

-All black wardrobe makes employees seem unapproachable to guests.

-No work/life balance whatsoever. Managers are on call 24/7 and if they don't answer they catch hell from the DSM.

Advice to Senior Management-Stop being so stingy with payroll! You will make more money if there is (at least) double coverage all day every day. Your employees will also be able to keep up with tasks more properly.

-Spend four days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday) working in one of your stores in the current working conditions, trying tot accomplish by yourself everything that you expect of your employees. You may reevaluate your ways of delegating tasks.

- Make the dress code more like Claire's' dress code and you may see better results.

- Give managers power to write-up their employees without going through the DSM. Also, give managers the option to terminate when an employee consistently breaks the rules (after 3 write-ups)

-Take a good look at your DSM's. They may be getting results, but its by scare tactics more than anything.

Worked for Icing by Claire's? Contribute to the Community!