Icing by Claire's

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
2.9

CEO

Pros
  • 50% off discount, very cute and appealing merchandise (in 10 reviews)

• Employee discount (50% off everything) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management violating policies left and right and nothing being done about it (in 8 reviews)

• This becomes a serious issue when trying to pierce ears, ring customers, apprehend theft, and fix the frozen computer all at the same time (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

GREAT!

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

I have been working at Icing by Claire's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is great! 50% off everything! You most likely work by yourself.

Cons

The pay is not that good considering you most likely do the same jobs that is in a higher position than you.

Raise the pay for keyholder's , just a little bit.

Not a good experience

Current Employee - Third Key in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Third Key in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Icing by Claire's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% discount, work with the public, get to do ear piercings, good as a first job but not as a career

Cons

Do same job as assistant manager get paid $2 less as a sales lead, almost no in-house promotions in my 2 years of being with the company, shady store managers and shadier DMs

Improve your policies, show employees you appreciate them, increase wages

it's a joke

Current Employee - Third Key
    Current Employee - Third Key

I have been working at Icing by Claire's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great discount, 50% off, pretty straightforward job requirements, lots of autonomy as you work alone frequently

Cons

standard to substandard product that is prone to breaking, yet we take hits for the returns caused by items that have broken as soon as they're used. the shifts are either pointlessly short or like 8 to 9 hours long, no middle ground. i have frequently worked 8 hour shifts with no extra coverage and no breaks. holiday hours are over busy and way understaffed. last black friday i worked from 2am to 9am completely by myself. i have never had an SM or DM treat me with outright rudeness, but the upper management's lack of regard for the time and effort of ASMs, keys, and associates spend and put into the store is disrespectful and a great source of dissatisfaction within the store and the company as a whole. I get a 15 cent raise every 6 months, but its not enough of a dent to make any kind of real change in my income. hardly any promotion from within. over frequent promo changes - as soon as you put one promo up on one day, it's something totally different the next. the planograms that come from corporate are sloppy and always include focal items that are no longer in stock, on clearance, or simply aren't being shipped out any more. i worked alone a lot, which i enjoyed because i was able to be in charge of myself, but during prime business hours working alone was the worst because you had to greet, assist, and ring all customers, pierce any ears, unlock and relock sterling silver and body jewelry cases, prevent and deter theft, keep the store front clean and organized, work through any shipment, markdowns, planogram, promo changes, or paperwork all by yourself.

your employees do way too much work for the pay they're making. either pay them more or hire more people to lessen the workload.

Average company to work for. Not wonderful, but not horrible.

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Icing by Claire's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

50% discount, cute merchandise, attainable sales goals, no store credit cards or rewards program to hound customers about.

Cons

low pay, all black dress code, 30 minute lunches, not easy to move up in the company because there aren't multiple management positions available, bad/no incentives, no health insurance or benefits for part time employees, on call shifts required, returns and exchanges count negatively against you, have to work by yourself during the week, closing procedures are tedious and involve a ton of paperwork. Planogram often requires switching entire walls of merchandise which made no sense to me. There are also a ton of blackout dates during which you cannot request off, I've worked in retail for many years and have never worked for a company with blackout dates that weren't around the holidays.

Everything is micromanaged. Keyholders aren't respected as members of management. You will be passed over for promotions unless you are buddies with the DM or store manager. Merchandise is low quality (especially footwear and cosmetics) but you have to talk it up to customers. There is way too much focus on selling cashwrap add-ons. Even if you have a $50+ purchase your manager will be mad at you for not selling cashwrap. Way too many metrics to keep up with. Average Dollar Sale (at least $18), Units per Transaction (at least three), add-ons, ear piercings (it is frowned upon if the customer gets a stainless steel package instead of the 14K).

The last straw for me was being told weekly, if my numbers were lower than company, that I was "not worth anything to the company" that week and that I was "losing the company money". What a horrible thing to say to employees and a terrible way to try to motivate employees.

I feel like Icing can't decide whether it wants to cater to college aged women or young girls. We were supposed to be the "older" version of Claire's, but carried flasks and tiny hair bows at the same time. Customers more than once commented that they were confused as to which demographic we were targeting in the store.

Assistant Manager, what's next?

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Icing by Claire's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a store discount of 50% off of all items and items that are currently "trending" you get 60% off. You learn how to be a leader because most of the time you work alone. You get an ear piercing license. Free items here and there. Flexible shifts. Usually 7.5/8 hour shifts.

Cons

The fact that you'll work completely alone sometimes makes it hard to balance ringing someone up while having to do an ear piercing and someone wanting body jewelry out of a case plus having to watch if people are stealing. You will have to confront people who are stealing and they'll sometimes get aggressive. It's hard to move up the ladder if no one is going to quit (you're stuck for so long that at times you'll be like should i look for a new job?)… All black wardrobe. You HAVE to wear their jewelry at all times (at least three things), if you're not making much then it's hard for you to always have to keep up and pay your bills. You have to have good numbers or else you'll be pointed out during weekly conference calls between managers and district manager. 30 minute lunches when waiting in line for food is already 15 minutes. Lame store contests/prizes (for example a $5 gift card to your own store).

Start doing more. It's hard when people below you have to do all the work while you keep taking breaks to go talk with other managers or pretend you're actually doing a lot. Notice what the people below you are actually doing and compliment them. Markdowns should be before planogram so the store isn't so unorganized. There also shouldn't be so many updates within one month. When a store starts something new that the company likes and starts having other stores do you should get recognition, but no…never happens.

Third Key

Former Employee - Third Key in Fairview Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Third Key in Fairview Heights, IL

I worked at Icing by Claire's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a job and the pay was decent.

Cons

The hours varied anywhere from 5-30 a week and there was no telling how many you would get a month. Management would tell you that you could move up but then they would string you along for month with out giving you the promotion when you were doing the job.

Treat you employees better and don't threaten their job all the time. Give people who want to move up within the company a chance.

Love Hate

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Icing by Claire's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being miss fashionista and helping out people coordinate outfits with accessories. Fun environment in the store. awesome discount.

Cons

Not very stable. Either working all the time or hardly ever working. Higher management not very concerned with what's happening in the actual stores.

Forget getting any time off during holiday season. Prepare to be there on your days off. Distric managers say one thing and do another. Turn over rate is ridiculous.

Third Key Holder

Current Employee - Third Key in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Third Key in Provo, UT

I have been working at Icing by Claire's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managing the whole store by yourself, managing a small workspace, interacting with people, performing different tasks

Cons

Dealing with customer complaints, low pay, not a good tracking system for incoming shipment dispersed through the store. A lot of the items are low quality and I feel like sometimes I had to lie to customers.

Don't put as much presser on numbers

Worked as Key Holder, Company does not care about employees...

Former Employee - Third Key in Montclair, CA
    Former Employee - Third Key in Montclair, CA

I worked at Icing by Claire's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. They don't even deserve 1 star.

Cons

Low pay. Computer systems are old and outdated. Stores are old and falling apart. Corporate and upper management don't care about anything and never return phone calls. District manager refused to settle store issues and wouldn't take responsibility. Store manager was a control freak and talked down to employees.

CEO needs to fire everyone in the company and hire people who care about the company's growth and store employees. Get a better marketing and financial planning team. Stop changing promotions everyday and make them less confusing. Higher pay for store employees.

Frustrating and a never ending cycle.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Icing by Claire's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If your self motivated its great, you work by yourself a lot. There's almost always something to do, POG, Markdowns, Mark out of stock or a big event.

Cons

A lot of the time alone, not enough hours when you need someone else during the week. The never ending cycle of the same thing. The Company constantly changing promos, as soon as one goes up, you are immediately taking it down. They need more organization and thought processes before conducting last minute sales.
    As a manager there is so much to do, and so little time to do it. There are also virtually NO hours for training, so it become nearly impossible to train your staff they way you'd like.

Managers need to push for more hours. We lose a lot of business simply because one employee can't always balance 3piercings, a line at the cash wrap, a store full of people, and keep teenagers from stealing. They need to add more hours and better protect their merchandise.