Icon Credit Union Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.5
CEO

1. I love working for Icon!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

It is a pleasure to come to work every day. Icon invests in employees and their careers. If you are driven, the sky is the limit to where you can go in the organization. Exceptional culture that breeds the success that Icon has experienced over the last several years.

Cons

Growth = change and sometimes that can be difficult for some. If you aren't changing and evolving, though, you can become irrelevant. I think Icon is always looking for ways to grow, improve, and change.

2. Solution Specialist

I worked at Icon Credit Union full-time

Pros

There a great opportunities for advancement within this company. I worked in the call center, but it was not a typical call center. I had vast job responsibilities, and was given the opportunity to learn a lot and be a leader early on. Once you've been there about a year, there are LOTS of opportunities to move within the company, including changing departments is you wish. A lot of great people work there, and the supervisors are great. They also provide a lot of vacation time after being with the company for a year. During the first year you are only given 8 hours of PTO per month, but at the year mark it goes up to 12 and continues up from there.

Cons

Some things about the work schedule are not flexible- for example hour lunches are required, and unpaid time off is prohibited. There also tends to be a lot of turnover- for various reasons, much of it probably due to typical turnover in banking (eg. seeking better pay elsewhere).

Advice to Management

The company has a great vision, but increased flexibility would provide more opportunities for you to get and keep quality employees.

3. Politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Icon Credit Union (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and team work. Pay was good.

Cons

Higher ups don't know what they are doing when they put people who don't understand the departments they are managing. Not dedicated to the employee's as far as loyalty. Loss my opinion of Integrity, as one of the core values.

Advice to Management

Work a day in your employee's shoes.

5. Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Pros

Icon has an amazing culture and team built up of incredibly fun people who are also driven to do whats best for Icon's members. From the top down everyone is real and genuine. Icon's benefits are great and very competitive to a lot larger companies. Icon also takes all staff on an annual camping trip that is amazing!! This is my favorite job and a company that I'm proud to work for!

Cons

Honestly can say that there are not any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

6. Unlike any other place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Icon Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Icon is just awesome. Too many companies talk up a big game when it comes to culture but Icon really lives it, from the top down. Beginning with the CEO, who lives and breathes optimism and enthusiasm, every employee contributes to the culture in some unique way and the individual components of a company's culture (namely the attitudes of those working here) are managed in such a way that we've got the flexibility to be who we are while also contributing to the brand as a whole.

Cons

The only real "con" with Icon is the same one you'll find at any small financial institution - a tendency for constant change. Icon is always growing and adapting to new realities, from new products for members to mergers with other credit unions, and some people find that kind of change unsettling. However, our CEO does an incredible job at coaching and training up individuals to learn to tolerate and thrive in a changing environment, which also really helps better prepare you for life in general. So if you're looking for a job where you can punch in and punch out and just collect a paycheck, Icon isn't for you. But if you want to learn to be a versatile, flexible and opportunistic employee, Icon is a great place to be.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. As Icon grows, don't let up in your strict attention to detail; especially when it comes to maintaining the company's culture. I've seen growth lead to hasty hiring decisions at other businesses and that's usually the beginning of the end for the original culture, which is much easier to maintain with a small group of people in one building than it is with a large employee base spread out over a large geographic area.

7. This company cares about it's employees and growing them, both professionally and personally!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Icon Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

So many companies talk about building a strong culture, but Icon lives it. It starts with the CEO taking you to coffee your first week and genuinely wanting to get to know you and understand your desires and experience. Example, when they say that their cultural standards include Leadership and Drive, they mean it. The review and promotion system supports raises given only if you are growing in the company, and as a result, the employees they hire are engaged and are high producers. Whiners aren't really tolerated or welcomed by their peers. If you want to work hard and play hard, join Icon. If you want to coast in your job, it's probably not the place for you. The leadership also never forgets who they serve, the members, and the mission. I LOVE that they take their staff to camp at a cool place in the mountains once per year and invest in the team building and bonding that makes a cohesive team. Everyone comes back feeling part of a big team. It's nice to be part of a growing company too so their culture is working for the business.

Cons

There is no way you can hide in the background, but then again, it's nice for the majority of high achievers and really motivates the staff to reach a little higher. Also, it is a not-for-profit business, and employees are expected to spend money wisely, so there is not enough money for frivolous things.

Advice to Management

Don't get lazy with culture and keep on driving it - we can only get better.

8. Not your typical financial institution. Great people and opportunities!!

I have been working at Icon Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Icon is way different than working for your larger financial institutions. You get to focus on the customer and not just blindly sell products and services to everyone that comes through the door. If you show a willingness to learn and are a high performing employee there are tons of opportunities for advancement. Volunteering in the community is encouraged and they allow 40 hours paid per year to volunteer for organizations you believe in. Don't forget about all the paid holidays!

Cons

You will advance only if you put in the time and effort and contribute to the organization. Those that think they deserve things without working to obtain them will not advance very quickly.

Advice to Management

Cultural values drive business!

9. Wonderful Culture with no room for advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I worked at Icon Credit Union part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very involved in the community. We team lunches all the time. Nice bank holidays, and friendly staff.

Cons

Their is no room for growth within this company. Don't get me wrong, their is some advancement, but eventually, with this company, you will hit a wall and have to look for work somewhere else. This is due partly to the idea that it is a small, non for profit, business. The department is prone to reprimand you for even the slightest mistake, and makes your position seem threatened. then a few weeks later everything is okay. Following the all clear, they let you go for the simplest of things. If they say part time, better believe it will never move into a full time position.

Advice to Management

If you post a part time position online with the possibility to go full time, please make sure you actually mean it. Pay needs to be very dependent on education, and need a better training program. I felt so lost when i was trained by you.

RSS Feed </> Embed