Icon Identity Solutions

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
2.3

Kurt W. Ripkey

Not a cake walk, be prepared to work

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is challenging and you will never be bored. You get on the job training, not from the company, but from sub contractors. If you take the initiative yourself, you can really learn a lot about the industry as there is a ton of experience there from a manufacturing stand point.

Cons

Well to start this is supposed to be a project management company, or that is what they sell to the customers, yet they don't have a platform to even do so. So what they really are is a sign company, and nothing more. Project management is more like disaster control. They put so much work on you that you can only handle the fires going on at one time, same day. It does not allow for proper project management unless you work extremely long hours. Their is no real reward for working the extra hours, other than for your own personal satisfaction of knowing you are doing all you can for the customers. However once you begin to work the extra hours and they notice it, they will expect you to continue to do it. So to say this is a challenging place to work is an understatement.

Training - essentially consisted of me demanding to go to job sites (because no one had the time in the office to properly train anyone or they didn't have the money to send you to the job sites), and if you didn't demand it, then you would never really get any training. To be a successful project manager and to speak to customers everyday (especially customers who have a basic knowledge of construction) you have to know what you are talking about. To stick a project manger with a ton of sites, with little to no field training ends up costing this company more money than they even know for two reasons.
    A) The Project managers can't have a conversation with a sub contractor and speak confidently and not give away more money to the contractor. Plus they don't know how to properly bid a job to a contractor. You have to know what to look for in advance to properly manage the costs/jobs, and to get all of your costs covered by the customers.
    B) They can't feel confident going back and explaining a situation to the customer and identifying areas where the custmomer should in fact pay more. Most of the times this is done at a loss or a break even as the PM's are afraid to sound incompetant to the customers.

Compensation - Now I have read all the reviews by disgruntled employees complaining about raises/bonuses etc. First off, the starting salary is what it is. If you have a problem with that, don't accept the job. You will work long hours, and to get compensated more you do have to go above and beyond to show you actually deserve to be compensated more. Just showing up and doing a good job, in your opinion, does not mean you are entitled to anything more. That is you just doing your job. Now on the other side it is the companies responsiblity to reward people who actually do put forth the effort, and actually work with employees on their career path. This is major short coming for the company. Most of the time they are so concerned with just keeping employees, that they don't invest much in their employees due to the constant turn over. Which goes back to the old saying "What if we invest in people and they leave? Well what if we don't invest and they stay?" They have a tendency to keep employees who shouldn't be there, and they let the good ones leave for other positions. Now I put in the extra hours, and I was rewarded by the company. But it was not handed to me, and I did have to threaten to leave a few times, but if you demonstrate your value to the company, they will try and reward you for it. Bonuses? Well the company should not even offer them or make mention of them (not all employers even offer them these days) as they don't follow through on them. So instead of looking like you are selling potential employees on this bonus potential, just elminate the conversation all together. I saw many different plans laid out, yet never got anything no matter if you actually met all of the goals set out for yourself and team. The raises were 2% across the board regardless of performance. So don't expect any more than that, just deal with the situation knowing this before you accept the position.

Work Life Balance - Well I was single when i worked at Icon, so the extra hours (sometimes 55 hours a week) didn't really bother me too much. But I don't know how a person with a family is supposed to work these types of hours on the base salaries provided. So since family employees just can't afford to work there, you are basically left with college grads with no job training or very little training. Now to get up to speed properly in this industry, you need a lot of training for this job, and if you don't have any project management background, you will be lost working here. So if you don't work the extra long hours to properly educate yourself/train yourself, you virtually have no way to ever get ahead here. Plus you get labeled pretty quickly at this place, so if you don't show a basic knowledge or understanding of the industry in the first few weeks, you will get passed over consistently when it comes to any promotions/raises/bonuses. So just be prepared if you aren't prepared to work a lot of hours at a low base pay to get an understanding of an industry, then this is not an opportunity for you. However, if you are able to stick it out for a year or two, you will have a good understanding of an industry and getting it at an entry level is not something that is available for new grads. Just be prepared to put in the hours and probably live with Mom and Dad for a while.

Interoffice Politics - Now there is more gossip running through this place than the National Enquirer. Very little to none of it is true. However, if you get on the bad side of a few select employees, be prepared to be stagnant the entire time you work there, and no matter what you do, you will get "black listed". Since some of the key players at the company are investors in the company, they are untouchable. It is pretty evident who they are as well, as they can essentially pass the buck on every mistake they are responsible for or their department is responsible for ultimately. For example if a shipment goes out incomplete, money gets applied incorrectly, job margins are low or anything where there is a department head responsible for these items, it gets passed down to the low man on the pole to handle it. Also, that low man on the pole gets blamed for it. When we would have meetings with the investors liason, the department heads would rarely even show up to defend themselves. Since they weren't there or on the phone, they always seemed to get a free pass. Maybe they were held accountable, but from a "perception is reality standpoint" they never seemed to be even remotely held accountable. Or they would say they would look into something and get back to you why something was the way it was, but very rarely would you get an answer, let alone a definative answer. If you happen to ask a question or make a statement to one of these "select" employees in a meeting, be prepared to be looked down upon for an extended amount of time. You must play the work politics game here more than other places. Let me Repeat that YOU MUST PLAY WORK POLITICS AT THIS COMPANY! No exception.

Also, any employee who rates a company on this site as 5 stars is not an actual employee of the company.

Take the necessary steps to properly train employees, and don't just dump them on an existing employee and expect the existing employee to train them while trying to keep up with the mountain of work they already have on their plate. Develop a training plan for employees and take the time to actually develop employees as well. STICK TO THE PLAN TOO. If an employee doesn't feel the employer is invested in them, what motive do they have to go above and beyond for the company? It just turns into a paycheck. The increase in moral would be a big boost if you actually spent money the right way. The travel done by the senior level employees does not go unnoticed by employees. When the employee can't go and get on site training but a senior level manager can go out and see a plant/office/person for no specific project/reason that they have already seen many times, it does say a lot how money is being spent improperly.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a strong team environment. The projects are large and challenging and provide an opportunity to learn new things.

Cons

The atmosphere is high energy and fast paced. If you want to coast through your career and not be challenged to grow, don't apply.

Keep up the corporate training

By far the worst company to work for

Former Employee - Former Service Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Former Service Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None! Unless this is your first job please do not apply.

Cons

Too many to name them all. Raises are a joke the only way you move up is by being a brown nose. Bonuses - there are none. They make you work harder thinking you'll get one but you don't. My team which by the way all left for better opportunities were all mistreated by the GM of maintenance. She is no longer the GM so the maintenance side doesn't have to worry about her anymore. She is now in a different department. She is all about favoritism and unprofessional to say the least. The managers don't care about you they only care to keep you working hard so they look good. Nothing is in the budget. They even stopped having paper cups in the lunch room so now you have to go to the person who purchases them for the company and get asked why too! Meanwhile the VP flies in and out of town first class every week but the service managers get treated like garbage. The benefits are horrible don't even think about having a child with their benefits you might as well apply for the government insurance. The gossip around this place is unbelievable. If you leave the company for a competitor they'll talk about you for the next year, meanwhile the ex GM's son left for a competitor but no one talked about him.
    Conclusion - do yourself a favor and do not work here unless it's temporary until you find something else ANYTHING ELSE.

Just quit and have brighter people lead these poor employees

Does management have a clue

Current Employee - If I Say Theyll Figure Me Out!
    Current Employee - If I Say Theyll Figure Me Out!

I have been working at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My pay check still clears the bank and I don't get yelled everyday.like others.

Cons

Too many to mention really. Our investors are sorry they took us on. We have zero help with our accounts. We are losing accounts to other major sign companies and we laid off all the people who knew anything. This company will not last with the current senior management. Even those who have been here a while are looking for jobs. This company is a joke and please don't apply. Go to grad school and take on more debt, it's better then working here.

Please leave and we'll all be saved. Is there anyone in her that can take over? Please!!! This has to stop now.

It's Finally Over

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had the chance to meet a lot of great people who moved on to much better places than Icon. The company is mostly temp-workers, so I was able to add "trainer" to my resume.

Cons

The company is very short-term focused and is going out of business. When a company is falling apart, employees are the real victims. More and more and more work has been pushed on project managers with no rewards. We've been given 60 plus hours of work every week and most project managers aren't making over 40k a year. We were given ice cream sandwiches for employee appreciation day, but no raises in two years. I actually left the company without having another job lined up. I'll take poverty over humiliation any day. All of the temp workers are taking longer and longer to learn our systems as there aren't any experienced full-time employees left. Icon has pretty much stopped paying its vendors and has lost credibility in the market. Revenues have dropped in half in the last few years so there isn't any room for advancement.

I'm happy it's over and I'm glad to be moving on with my life. The story of me working here will be an interesting anecdote to tell my children some day. Any time they say "That's not fair!," I'll respond with: "I once worked for Icon, you don't have room to talk about fairness".

Sell the company to one of the more advanced sign companies.

great company

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions

Pros

good environment, fun people, good benefits, great overall experience while working there

Cons

i cannot think of any cons

Death

Former Employee - Vendor Mgt/Licensing and Permits in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Vendor Mgt/Licensing and Permits in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'll keep my comment to myself

Cons

if you have a death wish this is the place for you

Poor company unless you're seeking entry-level experience

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for entry-level individuals looking to get into project management
    Some opportunity to travel if desired

Cons

Very little advancement opportunity
    Poor work / life balance
    Uncertain job security
    Mediocre pay (at best)

I would say Management should work harder to keep good, experienced employees but that clearly isn't their business model. They want to quickly develop young employees, work them to the bone and replace them with newer, younger employees periodically.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning enviornment and friendly co-workers

Cons

High turn-over rate and un-stable company. They don't pay thier sub which makes working relationships very difficult and stresses deadlines.

"It's Not in the Budget"

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to make contacts for future jobs.
    Decent vacation/personal time.
    It gives you something to put on a resume.

Cons

Where to start?
    Accountability - Upper management has none. It does not matter what happens or whose fault it actually is, upper management will push the blame down until one of the four or five people in the company with morals refuses to blame their direct reports for management's screw-ups.
    Lack of Ethics/Professional Behavior - The few people with immunity, top managers & friends of the CEO, have no regard for current or former employees. Most people leave due to layoffs which happen every couple of months, but the ones who leave on their own are bashed and blamed for everything wrong with the company. Management loves when people quit because they get rid of their salary and get to blame their own wrongdoings on the people who had too much self-respect to remain with the company until they are inevitably laid off.
    Salary/Benefits - I use that term very loosely. Starting pay has gone from below average to slightly above the poverty level in the last five years. No one in the company is worth more than a 2% increase across the board (which they did not even get this year) because there are others out there who "need the work." Raises for promotions usually come with some kind of "trial period" which is code for you are not getting an actual raise until you become friends with someone higher up or leave. Promises are made to employees on a daily basis but never come to fruition. And to reiterate, if you leave because of this you are considered a terrible employee and person.
    Subcontractors - It is surprising any subcontractors still accept work from this company. Salesman & dispatchers for subcontractors have lost their job because it is not uncommon to wait 5-6 months to get paid for an invoices. Everything needs to be done yesterday but they will pay you next year if you're lucky. Making subs do work for less than they should is acceptable but paying them for that work in a timely manner is not in the budget.
    Management - Current members of upper management are basically guaranteed a job for life because for the most part they are either investors in the company themselves or they are the hand-selected best friends of the investors. Employees lives and ability to provide for a family mean nothing to them because they are set and their happiness is all that truly matters. Employees are expected to understand and agree with that mentality as well.

Realize that employees are people and not numbers. Appreciate what employees do and reward them accordingly for hard work. Understand that when employees leave they are trying to better themselves and do not try to sabotage their career. Treat subcontractors with respect and pay on time, the money is there.