Icon Identity Solutions

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
2.3

Kurt W. Ripkey

Not a cake walk, be prepared to work

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is challenging and you will never be bored. You get on the job training, not from the company, but from sub contractors. If you take the initiative yourself, you can really learn a lot about the industry as there is a ton of experience there from a manufacturing stand point.

Cons

Well to start this is supposed to be a project management company, or that is what they sell to the customers, yet they don't have a platform to even do so. So what they really are is a sign company, and nothing more. Project management is more like disaster control. They put so much work on you that you can only handle the fires going on at one time, same day. It does not allow for proper project management unless you work extremely long hours. Their is no real reward for working the extra hours, other than for your own personal satisfaction of knowing you are doing all you can for the customers. However once you begin to work the extra hours and they notice it, they will expect you to continue to do it. So to say this is a challenging place to work is an understatement.

Training - essentially consisted of me demanding to go to job sites (because no one had the time in the office to properly train anyone or they didn't have the money to send you to the job sites), and if you didn't demand it, then you would never really get any training. To be a successful project manager and to speak to customers everyday (especially customers who have a basic knowledge of construction) you have to know what you are talking about. To stick a project manger with a ton of sites, with little to no field training ends up costing this company more money than they even know for two reasons.
    A) The Project managers can't have a conversation with a sub contractor and speak confidently and not give away more money to the contractor. Plus they don't know how to properly bid a job to a contractor. You have to know what to look for in advance to properly manage the costs/jobs, and to get all of your costs covered by the customers.
    B) They can't feel confident going back and explaining a situation to the customer and identifying areas where the custmomer should in fact pay more. Most of the times this is done at a loss or a break even as the PM's are afraid to sound incompetant to the customers.

Compensation - Now I have read all the reviews by disgruntled employees complaining about raises/bonuses etc. First off, the starting salary is what it is. If you have a problem with that, don't accept the job. You will work long hours, and to get compensated more you do have to go above and beyond to show you actually deserve to be compensated more. Just showing up and doing a good job, in your opinion, does not mean you are entitled to anything more. That is you just doing your job. Now on the other side it is the companies responsiblity to reward people who actually do put forth the effort, and actually work with employees on their career path. This is major short coming for the company. Most of the time they are so concerned with just keeping employees, that they don't invest much in their employees due to the constant turn over. Which goes back to the old saying "What if we invest in people and they leave? Well what if we don't invest and they stay?" They have a tendency to keep employees who shouldn't be there, and they let the good ones leave for other positions. Now I put in the extra hours, and I was rewarded by the company. But it was not handed to me, and I did have to threaten to leave a few times, but if you demonstrate your value to the company, they will try and reward you for it. Bonuses? Well the company should not even offer them or make mention of them (not all employers even offer them these days) as they don't follow through on them. So instead of looking like you are selling potential employees on this bonus potential, just elminate the conversation all together. I saw many different plans laid out, yet never got anything no matter if you actually met all of the goals set out for yourself and team. The raises were 2% across the board regardless of performance. So don't expect any more than that, just deal with the situation knowing this before you accept the position.

Work Life Balance - Well I was single when i worked at Icon, so the extra hours (sometimes 55 hours a week) didn't really bother me too much. But I don't know how a person with a family is supposed to work these types of hours on the base salaries provided. So since family employees just can't afford to work there, you are basically left with college grads with no job training or very little training. Now to get up to speed properly in this industry, you need a lot of training for this job, and if you don't have any project management background, you will be lost working here. So if you don't work the extra long hours to properly educate yourself/train yourself, you virtually have no way to ever get ahead here. Plus you get labeled pretty quickly at this place, so if you don't show a basic knowledge or understanding of the industry in the first few weeks, you will get passed over consistently when it comes to any promotions/raises/bonuses. So just be prepared if you aren't prepared to work a lot of hours at a low base pay to get an understanding of an industry, then this is not an opportunity for you. However, if you are able to stick it out for a year or two, you will have a good understanding of an industry and getting it at an entry level is not something that is available for new grads. Just be prepared to put in the hours and probably live with Mom and Dad for a while.

Interoffice Politics - Now there is more gossip running through this place than the National Enquirer. Very little to none of it is true. However, if you get on the bad side of a few select employees, be prepared to be stagnant the entire time you work there, and no matter what you do, you will get "black listed". Since some of the key players at the company are investors in the company, they are untouchable. It is pretty evident who they are as well, as they can essentially pass the buck on every mistake they are responsible for or their department is responsible for ultimately. For example if a shipment goes out incomplete, money gets applied incorrectly, job margins are low or anything where there is a department head responsible for these items, it gets passed down to the low man on the pole to handle it. Also, that low man on the pole gets blamed for it. When we would have meetings with the investors liason, the department heads would rarely even show up to defend themselves. Since they weren't there or on the phone, they always seemed to get a free pass. Maybe they were held accountable, but from a "perception is reality standpoint" they never seemed to be even remotely held accountable. Or they would say they would look into something and get back to you why something was the way it was, but very rarely would you get an answer, let alone a definative answer. If you happen to ask a question or make a statement to one of these "select" employees in a meeting, be prepared to be looked down upon for an extended amount of time. You must play the work politics game here more than other places. Let me Repeat that YOU MUST PLAY WORK POLITICS AT THIS COMPANY! No exception.

Also, any employee who rates a company on this site as 5 stars is not an actual employee of the company.

Take the necessary steps to properly train employees, and don't just dump them on an existing employee and expect the existing employee to train them while trying to keep up with the mountain of work they already have on their plate. Develop a training plan for employees and take the time to actually develop employees as well. STICK TO THE PLAN TOO. If an employee doesn't feel the employer is invested in them, what motive do they have to go above and beyond for the company? It just turns into a paycheck. The increase in moral would be a big boost if you actually spent money the right way. The travel done by the senior level employees does not go unnoticed by employees. When the employee can't go and get on site training but a senior level manager can go out and see a plant/office/person for no specific project/reason that they have already seen many times, it does say a lot how money is being spent improperly.

By far the worst company to work for

Former Employee - Former Service Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Former Service Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None! Unless this is your first job please do not apply.

Cons

Too many to name them all. Raises are a joke the only way you move up is by being a brown nose. Bonuses - there are none. They make you work harder thinking you'll get one but you don't. My team which by the way all left for better opportunities were all mistreated by the GM of maintenance. She is no longer the GM so the maintenance side doesn't have to worry about her anymore. She is now in a different department. She is all about favoritism and unprofessional to say the least. The managers don't care about you they only care to keep you working hard so they look good. Nothing is in the budget. They even stopped having paper cups in the lunch room so now you have to go to the person who purchases them for the company and get asked why too! Meanwhile the VP flies in and out of town first class every week but the service managers get treated like garbage. The benefits are horrible don't even think about having a child with their benefits you might as well apply for the government insurance. The gossip around this place is unbelievable. If you leave the company for a competitor they'll talk about you for the next year, meanwhile the ex GM's son left for a competitor but no one talked about him.
    Conclusion - do yourself a favor and do not work here unless it's temporary until you find something else ANYTHING ELSE.

Just quit and have brighter people lead these poor employees

A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a strong team environment. The projects are large and challenging and provide an opportunity to learn new things.

Cons

The atmosphere is high energy and fast paced. If you want to coast through your career and not be challenged to grow, don't apply.

Keep up the corporate training

Does management have a clue

Current Employee - If I Say Theyll Figure Me Out!
    Current Employee - If I Say Theyll Figure Me Out!

I have been working at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My pay check still clears the bank and I don't get yelled everyday.like others.

Cons

Too many to mention really. Our investors are sorry they took us on. We have zero help with our accounts. We are losing accounts to other major sign companies and we laid off all the people who knew anything. This company will not last with the current senior management. Even those who have been here a while are looking for jobs. This company is a joke and please don't apply. Go to grad school and take on more debt, it's better then working here.

Please leave and we'll all be saved. Is there anyone in her that can take over? Please!!! This has to stop now.

It's Finally Over

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had the chance to meet a lot of great people who moved on to much better places than Icon. The company is mostly temp-workers, so I was able to add "trainer" to my resume.

Cons

The company is very short-term focused and is going out of business. When a company is falling apart, employees are the real victims. More and more and more work has been pushed on project managers with no rewards. We've been given 60 plus hours of work every week and most project managers aren't making over 40k a year. We were given ice cream sandwiches for employee appreciation day, but no raises in two years. I actually left the company without having another job lined up. I'll take poverty over humiliation any day. All of the temp workers are taking longer and longer to learn our systems as there aren't any experienced full-time employees left. Icon has pretty much stopped paying its vendors and has lost credibility in the market. Revenues have dropped in half in the last few years so there isn't any room for advancement.

I'm happy it's over and I'm glad to be moving on with my life. The story of me working here will be an interesting anecdote to tell my children some day. Any time they say "That's not fair!," I'll respond with: "I once worked for Icon, you don't have room to talk about fairness".

Sell the company to one of the more advanced sign companies.

great company

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions

Pros

good environment, fun people, good benefits, great overall experience while working there

Cons

i cannot think of any cons

Death

Former Employee - Vendor Mgt/Licensing and Permits in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Vendor Mgt/Licensing and Permits in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'll keep my comment to myself

Cons

if you have a death wish this is the place for you

Poor company unless you're seeking entry-level experience

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for entry-level individuals looking to get into project management
    Some opportunity to travel if desired

Cons

Very little advancement opportunity
    Poor work / life balance
    Uncertain job security
    Mediocre pay (at best)

I would say Management should work harder to keep good, experienced employees but that clearly isn't their business model. They want to quickly develop young employees, work them to the bone and replace them with newer, younger employees periodically.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great learning enviornment and friendly co-workers

Cons

High turn-over rate and un-stable company. They don't pay thier sub which makes working relationships very difficult and stresses deadlines.

Like A Cockroach

Current Employee - Project Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at Icon Identity Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you don’t like the feeling of being the “new guy”, this is the place for you. There will most likely be someone new right behind you. Plus if you manage to stay with the company for 6 months, you will be near the top of the list when it comes to seniority.

However, when you decide to leave (or the holidays are nearing and management decides it is time to clear house), when you apply somewhere else, other employers are very excited about all of the skills you now have.

Cons

Your morals will be tested immediately. Changing dates of invoices, padding hours to jobs and billing projects that have not even been started yet are a common practice. Management will require the fudging of numbers at the end of every month to make it look like they are doing great. Generally they keep billing open for a week or so into the following month and then require you to back date projects to make it look as if it was completed during the prior month.

Icon continues to put the bottom line ahead of its employees and customer’s satisfaction. Starting salary for project manager has dropped from 36K to 32K. Expect a standard 2% raise every year no matter how hard you work. Even if you get promoted to an account manager, expect around a 2-3% increase for a trial 90 days, where they say they will re-evaluate and give you an additional raise. That 90 day trial period will generally turn into 120-150 days, depending on how often you bring it up to management. Even after that, don’t expect to be much higher than 38K to 40K as an account manager. Always remember to get anything regarding your salary increase or review in writing, if you do not, they will conveniently forget the conversation ever happened.

Constant turnover has created an environment where you will be training your co-workers and boss. New hires and promotions used to be based on if you were a friend of management or family, but now they aren’t even hiring family members. They go by that old slogan “money is thicker than blood”. They wont hire a full time position unless absolutely necessary. They use temp workers as much as possible to avoid having to pay for benefits, but the temps are making more money through the temp agency than they do when Icon offers them a full time job.

Payment to contractors – the PO says NET 75 but most sub-contractors wont see any money before 120 days (4 months). Management does not see a need to create a procedure for handling contractors’ constant requests to get money that they earned. Instead they let the project managers and accounting pass the contractors back and forth to each other as an attempt to delay and confuse them in hopes the contractor will stop asking. The only way for a contractor to get paid is to threaten to tell the customer that Icon is not paying; however, if management finds out which contractor told on them, they will then blacklist you from working with them in the future.

Bonuses – These are too confusing to explain and there is no structure that is actually written down, thus making it easy for management to not pay them out no matter how successful the books say they did.

Management has lost all credibility and trust, most employees end up leaving Icon to go to a competitor because starting pay is around 10K higher, but instead of increasing their pay to be competitive. They decide to take the approach of trying to ruin your career by contacting the company that you are going to and talk bad about you or by threatening legal action against competing companies that continue to take their employees.

Management is also very aware of their poor online reviews and they will create an account and put in a positive review immediately after a poor review to cancel it out. If you don’t believe me….look at the dates on this site.

All integrity and trust in this company is gone and soon karma (or the law) will catch up with it; however, Icon continues to make bad decision after bad decision but somehow will not go away.

Experienced and happy project managers can actually make you a lot more money than what you are saving by working them to the bone and replacing them with new inexperienced workers. Thousands and thousands of dollars are being added to POs each month from project managers because: 1. The project manager sympathizes with the contractor and will pay them more than necessary on larger projects that have room for margin. 2. The contractor knows that the project manager is inexperienced and can talk circles around them and ultimately the project manager will pay what is requested just to move onto the next project.