Icon Identity Solutions

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kurt W. Ripkey

great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood environment, fun people, good benefits, great overall experience while working there

Consi cannot think of any cons

It's Finally Over

Project Manager (Former Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsI had the chance to meet a lot of great people who moved on to much better places than Icon. The company is mostly temp-workers, so I was able to add "trainer" to my resume.

ConsThe company is very short-term focused and is going out of business. When a company is falling apart, employees are the real victims. More and more and more work has been pushed on project managers with no rewards. We've been given 60 plus hours of work every week and most project managers aren't making over 40k a year. We were given ice cream sandwiches for employee appreciation day, but no raises in two years. I actually left the company without having another job lined up. I'll take poverty over humiliation any day. All of the temp workers are taking longer and longer to learn our systems as there aren't any experienced full-time employees left. Icon has pretty much stopped paying its vendors and has lost credibility in the market. Revenues have dropped in half in the last few years so there isn't any room for advancement.

I'm happy it's over and I'm glad to be moving on with my life. The story of me working here will be an interesting anecdote to tell my children some day. Any time they say "That's not fair!," I'll respond with: "I once worked for Icon, you don't have room to talk about fairness".

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to one of the more advanced sign companies.

Death

Vendor Mgt/Licensing and Permits (Former Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsI'll keep my comment to myself

Consif you have a death wish this is the place for you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor company unless you're seeking entry-level experience

Project Manager (Former Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsGood opportunity for entry-level individuals looking to get into project management
    Some opportunity to travel if desired

ConsVery little advancement opportunity
    Poor work / life balance
    Uncertain job security
    Mediocre pay (at best)

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say Management should work harder to keep good, experienced employees but that clearly isn't their business model. They want to quickly develop young employees, work them to the bone and replace them with newer, younger employees periodically.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsGreat learning enviornment and friendly co-workers

ConsHigh turn-over rate and un-stable company. They don't pay thier sub which makes working relationships very difficult and stresses deadlines.

Like A Cockroach

Project Manager (Current Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsIf you don’t like the feeling of being the “new guy”, this is the place for you. There will most likely be someone new right behind you. Plus if you manage to stay with the company for 6 months, you will be near the top of the list when it comes to seniority.

However, when you decide to leave (or the holidays are nearing and management decides it is time to clear house), when you apply somewhere else, other employers are very excited about all of the skills you now have.

ConsYour morals will be tested immediately. Changing dates of invoices, padding hours to jobs and billing projects that have not even been started yet are a common practice. Management will require the fudging of numbers at the end of every month to make it look like they are doing great. Generally they keep billing open for a week or so into the following month and then require you to back date projects to make it look as if it was completed during the prior month.

Icon continues to put the bottom line ahead of its employees and customer’s satisfaction. Starting salary for project manager has dropped from 36K to 32K. Expect a standard 2% raise every year no matter how hard you work. Even if you get promoted to an account manager, expect around a 2-3% increase for a trial 90 days, where they say they will re-evaluate and give you an additional raise. That 90 day trial period will generally turn into 120-150 days, depending on how often you bring it up to management. Even after that, don’t expect to be much higher than 38K to 40K as an account manager. Always remember to get anything regarding your salary increase or review in writing, if you do not, they will conveniently forget the conversation ever happened.

Constant turnover has created an environment where you will be training your co-workers and boss. New hires and promotions used to be based on if you were a friend of management or family, but now they aren’t even hiring family members. They go by that old slogan “money is thicker than blood”. They wont hire a full time position unless absolutely necessary. They use temp workers as much as possible to avoid having to pay for benefits, but the temps are making more money through the temp agency than they do when Icon offers them a full time job.

Payment to contractors – the PO says NET 75 but most sub-contractors wont see any money before 120 days (4 months). Management does not see a need to create a procedure for handling contractors’ constant requests to get money that they earned. Instead they let the project managers and accounting pass the contractors back and forth to each other as an attempt to delay and confuse them in hopes the contractor will stop asking. The only way for a contractor to get paid is to threaten to tell the customer that Icon is not paying; however, if management finds out which contractor told on them, they will then blacklist you from working with them in the future.

Bonuses – These are too confusing to explain and there is no structure that is actually written down, thus making it easy for management to not pay them out no matter how successful the books say they did.

Management has lost all credibility and trust, most employees end up leaving Icon to go to a competitor because starting pay is around 10K higher, but instead of increasing their pay to be competitive. They decide to take the approach of trying to ruin your career by contacting the company that you are going to and talk bad about you or by threatening legal action against competing companies that continue to take their employees.

Management is also very aware of their poor online reviews and they will create an account and put in a positive review immediately after a poor review to cancel it out. If you don’t believe me….look at the dates on this site.

All integrity and trust in this company is gone and soon karma (or the law) will catch up with it; however, Icon continues to make bad decision after bad decision but somehow will not go away.

Advice to Senior ManagementExperienced and happy project managers can actually make you a lot more money than what you are saving by working them to the bone and replacing them with new inexperienced workers. Thousands and thousands of dollars are being added to POs each month from project managers because: 1. The project manager sympathizes with the contractor and will pay them more than necessary on larger projects that have room for margin. 2. The contractor knows that the project manager is inexperienced and can talk circles around them and ultimately the project manager will pay what is requested just to move onto the next project.

"It's Not in the Budget"

Project Manager (Former Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsGood place to make contacts for future jobs.
    Decent vacation/personal time.
    It gives you something to put on a resume.

ConsWhere to start?
    Accountability - Upper management has none. It does not matter what happens or whose fault it actually is, upper management will push the blame down until one of the four or five people in the company with morals refuses to blame their direct reports for management's screw-ups.
    Lack of Ethics/Professional Behavior - The few people with immunity, top managers & friends of the CEO, have no regard for current or former employees. Most people leave due to layoffs which happen every couple of months, but the ones who leave on their own are bashed and blamed for everything wrong with the company. Management loves when people quit because they get rid of their salary and get to blame their own wrongdoings on the people who had too much self-respect to remain with the company until they are inevitably laid off.
    Salary/Benefits - I use that term very loosely. Starting pay has gone from below average to slightly above the poverty level in the last five years. No one in the company is worth more than a 2% increase across the board (which they did not even get this year) because there are others out there who "need the work." Raises for promotions usually come with some kind of "trial period" which is code for you are not getting an actual raise until you become friends with someone higher up or leave. Promises are made to employees on a daily basis but never come to fruition. And to reiterate, if you leave because of this you are considered a terrible employee and person.
    Subcontractors - It is surprising any subcontractors still accept work from this company. Salesman & dispatchers for subcontractors have lost their job because it is not uncommon to wait 5-6 months to get paid for an invoices. Everything needs to be done yesterday but they will pay you next year if you're lucky. Making subs do work for less than they should is acceptable but paying them for that work in a timely manner is not in the budget.
    Management - Current members of upper management are basically guaranteed a job for life because for the most part they are either investors in the company themselves or they are the hand-selected best friends of the investors. Employees lives and ability to provide for a family mean nothing to them because they are set and their happiness is all that truly matters. Employees are expected to understand and agree with that mentality as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that employees are people and not numbers. Appreciate what employees do and reward them accordingly for hard work. Understand that when employees leave they are trying to better themselves and do not try to sabotage their career. Treat subcontractors with respect and pay on time, the money is there.

You have to be kidding??

ProsI get a pay check every week put I'm waiting for the time they say we don't can't pay you.

ConsToo many to list. This company cares only about pleasing their investors. Their investors don't care if we survive. Only if we make them money. The CEO is over is head and couldn't manage us if he tried. They force their senior people to invest and then they say there are no bonuses. Why??? Who gets the bonus money. They got rid of all their talent to save money. Sad company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy don't you take some more vacations and travel around spending our money. Learn to manage or get out of this industry.

This Company is great and Cares about employees

Project Manager (Current Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsOne of the best an hardest companies I have worked for in this industry. It is hard, because we expect allot from the Executive team, but they also expect alot from us. We were hired knowing that this is not a easy industry to work in with all the different facets to Signage. The CEO is not a typical CEO. He gets in and works with the teams people and incourages them everyday. During interview stage it is relayed how fast pace and how demanding our customers are.

So for all you former and current complaining employees. GROW UP this is the real world and nothing is easy.

ConsStay in tuned with the employees so that you know when someone is not a team player and do not wait to loong to address.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Glad I landed here

Account Manager (Current Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsThere are many pros including benefits, 401k matching, summer hours, and many more. This is an industry like no other I have been in, and while training took some time for me, there have been several classes the last 90 days that has been very helpful to our new hires. A great opportunity to manage my own program and team. While I have a great deal to learn, I have seen a lot of opportunity to apply for advancement opportunities. The people I work with are great and I feel the Leadership really cares and are accessile.

ConsWhile everyone is very willing to help and answer questions, I feel like there is so much that is needed in terms of experience. I would like to do a better job of training my team. Commute is kind of a pain, but the hours makes it more palatable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the training and communication, it is helping us understand more of what we need to do to support you.

Worked for Icon Identity Solutions? Contribute to the Community!