Idaho Power

www.idahopower.com

Idaho Power Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2014
Idaho Power – Boise – “Electrical Substaion”

Idaho Power – Boise – “Electrical Substaion”

J. LaMont Keen

Traditional Corporate Environment

Human Resources (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsJob Security
    Competitive Salary for the Boise area
    Ethical Leadership

ConsSo traditional, sometimes not up with the times.
    Touts as work/life balanced, but that is only in some areas.
    Depending on what part of the company you are in, you could be held to a much higher standard than everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut HR some slack. Continual cutbacks cause employees to feel less valued. Being told you are valuable only goes so far. Being treated as valuable is something different.

IT Manager

IT Leader (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsPeople are amazing. The company reflects values of Boise and work life balance is great!

ConsVery conservative approach to technology. Risk adverse utility, so the pace can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate! A lot of employees have great ideas listen with an open mind and take a chance on some of them....

IPC is starting to become a "CYA" company. Does not value innovation.

Corporate Headquarters (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsThe pay is good. Benefits are okay. The top three executives are smart, genuine, authentic, transparent individuals. I'll go as far to say they are great leaders.

ConsI think the great leaders are being "played" by HR. HR creates the political environment and can't be trusted. Too much finger pointing and not enough transparency. Some managers rely on "spies" to get feedback about their employees. The same managers listen against their employees and frustrate them to leave.

Job descriptions get "dumbed down" to allow "favorites" to qualify for a promotion.

High performers are penalized by carrying to load of non-performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate incompetent middle managers and recognize the "Super Stars" middle management is holding back. Teach the difference between leadership and management to your current "leaders". Pay attention to HR motives. Ask yourself why inexperienced "new hires" in a department with tenured employees are providing "Strategic Direction" instead of the tenured employees from the same team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Insanely Political Leadership...

Professional (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsCompetitive pay and benefits. Although, the Cons these days seem to outweigh the Pros by a large margin.

ConsJob security is a thing of the past. Over the last several years there has been a "cleansing" of many highly experienced managers. This has resulted in a lack of real leadership and much discontent amongst the ranks. Idaho Power used to be an amazing place to work...very desirable. Unfortunately, management has given in to the pressures of "share holder value" in lieu of long term success. I've been solicited to come back to IPC and have turned them down. The long term prospects (IMO) for Idaho Power are less than spectacular. Look for Warren Buffet to absorb the company within the next 3 to 4 years....

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves. Idaho Power is not your own personal little playground. If you continue to mistreat your employees you can bet that the union will become an attractive option.

Its just a job, I have worked at worse places though

Project Manager (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsWork Life balance is good

ConsNot a great place to work and progress if you already have lots of experience and highly educated

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize experienced, educated people

Excellent company, an Electrical Utility open to innovations and treating it's employees with respect.

Technician (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsThis is the only Electrical Utility in the State of Idaho.
    The Company pays decent salary and provide pretty good benefits package, including pension plan.
    Family-like atmosphere.
    This is NOT a Union shop, so no class warfair between Administration/Management and lower level employees.
    It is possible to get a promotion if you really want it.
    Very competitive - everybody is proud to be a member of a team, so for the most part everything is done fast.
    The Company provides GREAT training.

ConsHardly any, but the benefits could be a bit more competitive as compared to the leaders of the Industry, that have Union run operation (though IMO - unions promote mediocrity, class warfair and stagnation)

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job!

Full of politcs and bullying- you never know how you are going to be treated from one day to the next.

Human Resources (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsCompensation is above average
    Pension plan
    Subsidized downtown parking

ConsBullying is allowed
    Power is obtained by owning and not sharing information
    Training opportunities are only allowed for department pets
    Time off for care of family is "allowed" but then held against you as not being committed to company
    Managers do not know how to lead
    Inconsistent feedback
    You are not given tools to do your job successfully
    Managers rely on "spies" (this told to me directly from my supervisor) to get feedback on your daily activities and perfomance
    Leaders have inappropriate relationships with subordinates (taking vacations together,etc)
    Completing projects on time is more important than completing projects successfully

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the obvious...high turnover in a department (8 out of 13 in 3 years) means that something is wrong with the leadership. Have realistic expectations of your employees and put your money where your mouth is when you say "Family is First".

Great company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsStable, Knowledgable employees, Thoughtful leaders.

ConsSomewhat traditional and male dominated.

Idaho Power is a great employeer

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsTime off, great salary, and commitment to family

ConsPolitics are overwhelming and impedes real communication

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline

employee review

Station Tech (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsTraining, safety, lots of advancement oppertunities, respected by other utilities, generous compensation package.

Conswait time for grievence process to long. out of touch upper management.

Advice to Senior Managementsee above

Worked for Idaho Power? Contribute to the Community!