Idaho State University

Updated November 15, 2014
3.3

Idaho State University President Arthur C. Vailas
Arthur C. Vailas

My experience at ISU has been that it was a really descent job that I have enjoyed.

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Pocatello, ID
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Pocatello, ID

I have been working at Idaho State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They had really flexible schedules. I did not work as a teacher here so I didn't get any benefits or anything like that, but my boss was a great guy.

Cons

It was a little monotonous at times. If you don't enjoy being around people that make fun of you every once in a while then this would not be a good place for you to work.

Poor administration

I have been working at Idaho State University part-time

Pros

The benefits aren't bad, especially if you can get hired on as classified staff while trying to finish your degree, job security, some nice co-workers. The culture varies from department to department.

Cons

Little to no chance of advancement unless you know somebody. Administration is poor. Morale is low. Pay is not competitive. The attitude is that all staff are replacaeable, and if you don't like it, leave.

A good learning experience.

Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Pocatello, ID
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Pocatello, ID

I have been working at Idaho State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Research oriented university
    - Very friendly people
    - A beautiful town to stay energetic

Cons

- Small place
    - City should have more options for traveling.
    - Not many food options are available.

Faculty running high school politics fighting over no resources

Former Employee - Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in Pocatello, ID
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in Pocatello, ID

I worked at Idaho State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The standards are so low you will get tenure

Cons

The culture at this business is abysmal. The Department of Psychology has to hire someone every single year without growth because no one will stay in that backstabbing, backwards department. There are married couples in the department who complain together against faculty for bizarre reasons. Since they do not prepare their graduate students to compete on the national stage, your service gets roped in to awful departmental annual awards. The priorities are completely misplaced. They did not know the difference between a grant and a contract. It is better to take a fourth postdoc than to work here as a TT faculty. Pay was a national-low $50,000/annual. I warn my young colleagues not to apply to their annual openings.

The Department of Psychology has very serious culture problems. Look at the turnover.

OK to work there, but do not expect too much.

I worked at Idaho State University as a contractor

Pros

An opportunity to organize your work the way it works best for you. Generally, the employees are friendly and willing to help.

Cons

Very much teaching oriented with little or no connections with industry. Looks like they have a pretty high employee turnover among the teaching staff.

Make long term goals, connect with industry, give some research opportunities to the faculty.

Great if you are a student

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Pocatello, ID
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Pocatello, ID

I worked at Idaho State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most on campus jobs will work around your class schedule. You choose how many hours you want to work too. I loved my on campus job while I was going to school. Super convenient

Cons

You are on campus so much that you quite frankly get sick of it. By the end of the semester I would use any excuse to get a break from all the big brick buildings.

Biology Department is Great

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Pocatello, ID
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Pocatello, ID

I have been working at Idaho State University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The people in the Biology department are very connected too each other. They are more than willing to help one another.

Cons

Upper management demands a lot and gives very little.

Demand on professors is too high. Consider assigning more grads to teach courses.

ISU experience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Idaho State University

Pros

Benefits are great and hours are usually flexible.

Cons

Management is horrible and treat employees like children. Working environment is hostile at times.

Know what your team can do and let them do it.

I worked as a Capacity Builder directly with Principals and Superintendents to assist with staff and student improvement

Former Employee - Research Assistant Professor in Buhl, ID
    Former Employee - Research Assistant Professor in Buhl, ID

I worked at Idaho State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working directly with school and district leadership to coach and support leadership improvement and system change. I facilitated support for leadership to bring about needed change and also facilitated new and improved teaching strategies and leadership team involvement in data driven decision making.

Cons

In moving to Arizona, there was not a state facilitated support group of leaders so finding how to bring my skills and expertise to schools in need here has been difficult.

Educational leaders need support and coaching from experts in order to bring about system change which in turn will bring about improved staff and student performance. This does not need to be full time but direct support of leaders to assist them in bringing about change, meeting planning and reporting deadlines with effective, monitored strategic plans and providing expertise from those who have been in the trenches and made significant impact is important.

Bad place to work

Former Employee - Grant Writer in Pocatello, ID
    Former Employee - Grant Writer in Pocatello, ID

I worked at Idaho State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Campus and surrounding area are pretty

Cons

Bad administration; shrinking budget; unstable university that is downsizing. Stressful place to work. Stay away from working here if at all possible. Most who work here are not treated well. Also, the university is not run in a way that is good for students. The graduation rate is very low. So, students end up owing a lot for their education and often don't get a degree with which to earn money.

You are destroying a university that was once good by driving off experienced staff and faculty. Make the atmosphere a positive one for students, staff, and faculty. Cease hurting the university that you are supposed to protect.

Idaho State University Photos