Ideal Industries

Ideal Industries Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014

Jim James

Good company, brand, and people

Former Employee - Product Marketing in Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - Product Marketing in Sycamore, IL

I worked at Ideal Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Encourage lower level decision making but can be tough to justify moderate investments. Work/life balance is possible although higher workload encourages more work hours. Aspirations for growth.

Cons

Very high expectations to grow with too few tools provided to achieve it. Higher level of changeover. Bonus scheme difficult to hit as it's tied to high expectations.

Need to engage with the market at all levels as company direction is leaning more operationally focused. Change should be an evolution so investment in the base business should continue while next big opportunity is being identified.

Big attitude with products that are a commodity

I worked at Ideal Industries full-time

Pros

Used to have good benefits

Cons

If you didn't drink the kool-aid you were persona non grata

Realize you have commodity products. The Ideal name doesn't make a tool any different from another tool

Moving pieces, management silos

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Ideal Industries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

coworkers, family culture, visible leadership

Cons

constant change, development of employees and benefits could be better

Decent internship, stepping stone after college for experience. Not recommended long term.

Former Employee - Engineering Designer in Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering Designer in Sycamore, IL

I worked at Ideal Industries

Pros

-Small but international company with professional hand tools, lots of exposure to different professional disciplines from supplier relations, manufacturing, sales, marketing etc.
    -Upper Mgmt. devoted to domestic American manufacturing, which is rare today.
    -Crank out very decent product with anorexic resources (also a con).
    -Some divisions are better run than others.
    -Decent benefits, still have somewhat of a pension system.
    -Excellent CEO but he's saddled with inept managers under him, surprised he doesn't see that.
       - Robert Lane is no longer CEO. He was ousted in 2009.

Cons

Virtually no respect for engineering. They want to be innovative trailblazers in hand tools, but don't allow engineering to play much of a roll in that, nor do they pay competitively for it.

Middle/upper mgmt. seem blind to the needs for personnel resources and the need to travel if you're going to actually conduct business with China. All talk but no action.

Open your eyes or leave. Competition is hiring people where they need them in order to grow. IDEAL is coasting on a stellar name from the past. There's great pride in the company, but it's quickly running out.

There are better places to work.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sycamore, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sycamore, IL

I have been working at Ideal Industries

Pros

Telecommuting is possible. There is reasonable supervisory and technical support. Being a private company means it's not quite as bottom-line oriented. Good no interest loans available for personal technical equipment, e.g., PC, cameras, phones. There is a 401(k) match. Headquarters is just outside the Chicago suburbs. Supervisors are flexible with work hours and days. There's 4 10 hour days in some work areas.

Cons

Senior management doesn't easily share direction. Their health insurance is poor. There is no profit sharing or bonuses for rank and file. Very little chance for advancement beyond supervisor. There are below average wages. Morale is lower than most places I've worked. There is very little management recognition for workers. It seems as if there's a great divide between management and supervisors, much less rank and file workers.

Be less secretive and let us know what's going on. We live in fear of RIF's.

I have been working with the brand for 6 months in Colombia and it has been a great experience.

Current Employee - Seller in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)
    Current Employee - Seller in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

I have been working at Ideal Industries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best of working with the product of this company, is to know that you are offering a high quality product, let it know to your customers that they are obtaining equipment for life and have the best feedback from them.

Cons

For me the biggest challenge is the language. I´m C2, and I like reading the manujals in english, what I believe it's an advantage. But one thing is reading and other is selling face to face. But I´m single mother of two, and theres nothing that I can´t do for them, they are who push me to be better day after day.

What I can advice for the company in Colombia is the need of having somebody to support the actual distributors, a persona that realy cares about the knowl and correct function of a North American company in South America.
    I realy want to be part of you at the US, but I know that I can begin my carrer in the organizacion here in Colombia.

Great place to work

I have been working at Ideal Industries

Pros

Family owned, Vision for the future. Commitment to growth. Financially sound.

Cons

Changes taking place may make some folks uncomfortable.

Keep up the good work.

not an engineering firm

I have been working at Ideal Industries

Pros

you may have opportunity to invent something
    it is very flexible
    most people are nice
    the management team seems working

Cons

engineers cannot be properly valued.
    business casual is ridiculous to normal non-business people
    there is no path for engineers to go up

Ideal Industries Photos

Welcome to Corporate Headquarters!

+ Add Photo