Identity Marketing & Public Relations

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Winter

A great place to learn with very high expectations

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time

Pros- High level of expertise in all areas of marketing, public relations, branding and creative design
- Identity has a good reputation in the area--you can be proud to say you work there
- Very supportive of continued professional education
- Entrepreneurial environment that seriously supports ideas you bring to the table
- Very collaborative team that is always willing to step in when you need help
- You will have your hands on a lot of different things and you will gain a ton of experience in a very short amount of time

Cons- The environment requires thick skin--high expectations are set on everyone and you are expected to deliver
- Because the agency is set up based on specialties, it can be difficult to get a well-rounded experience outside of the department you are hired in
- Passionate, type A personalities abound--not necessarily a bad thing if you can handle it
- Very different management styles with the leadership team can sometimes cause confusion and frustration
- This is not a 8-5 job--you will be expected to always be responsive

Invaluable lessons. You'll learn more in a year than in five somewhere else.

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time

Pros- Diverse workload, client portfolio
- High level of expertise in a wide range of disciplines
- Tough work environment that asks a lot of its employees, don't come here if you're not prepared to work hard
- Great perks (free pop/snacks, fun outings/happy hours, employee giving program)
- Continuing education opportunities (PRSA memberships, media visits, etc)
- Collaboration opportunities are endless, as are opportunities for innovation

Working for a small company, you have the opportunity to be nimble and make decisions quickly and efficiently. You can work between a variety of teams and learn a ton, while shaping cool client initiatives. I learned so much in my time here that apply to both work and life in general. I'll always be thankful for those lessons.

Cons- Can be cutthroat, lots of passionate and difficult personalities
- Work hours can be grueling and it's expected that you're working longer than 8 to 5
- General lack of consistency in messaging
- Reward and feedback structure was random and inconsistent
- Compromised values when it suited bottom line

The reality is to be successful in this job you must be comfortable in a sales role and that's not for everyone. Right or wrong, the business always comes first, not the people that work for the business. Know that going in and you won't be disappointed.

An exciting way of life, interesting and perfect for people that want to be in the middle of the storm!

I have been working at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time

ProsMeet a lot of people. See a lot of new ideas and get to market them

ConsCan get a little too intense at times

Every experience is meant to teach you something.

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time

ProsEvery young and eager PR professional can experience a taste of the “agency world” at Identity. It’s a fast-paced environment with a variety of clients and industries to learn about. As someone who is now on “the other side,” I can tell you there is a lot to learn at Identity.

ConsUnfortunately, the taste of the “agency world” at Identity you will receive is very little about feeding your hunger for the big, exciting campaigns, relationship building with executives and media, and skill development—but the taste you’ll likely receive is a bitter reality that it really can be a dog-eat-dog world out there. And if you don’t learn how to protect yourself, you won’t survive. But, like our parents always say, “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”

Coming from Identity I did learn a lot. I learned how to have a very thick skin. I learned to establish my own ethical code as a public relations practitioner. And, I learned to trust my gut and build up the strength to resist pressure to be unethical—even if that pressure is coming from agency leadership you thought you could trust.

I’m all about start-ups and learning as you go. But this company seems to “reinvent” and “rebrand” itself every time staff or clients stand up for themselves and call Identity on its crap. Clients pay a lot to retain a public relations and marketing agency, and I often felt Identity took advantage of those businesses looking for help and trusting in our expertise.

I’d advise anyone who gives working at Identity a try to remember your mentors before you got there—professors, professionals you’ve networked with/shadowed, etc. Remember WHY you looked up to them and how they inspired you to join the industry. If one day you’re at Identity, fried from work-overload and lack of recognition, look around. If there’s no one you aspire to be above you in the hierarchy, leave. You’ve gotten what you can from the agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how many assignments you expect to be handed in one day. Could you, yourself, replicate that day and all the skills needed to accomplish all those tasks? Could you eat lunch and still get them all done before you go to bed? Now, do all those tasks directly benefit the mission of the client’s company, or do they only serve as another slide in a year-end presentation bragging about the things you’ve done—that may or may not be valuable to their bottom line? You are talented people with the skills to do great things if you put your priorities in the right places. Think about how many people you’ve lost the last few years, and think about how many bridges you’ve burned. But, rest assured, we’re all happy, mentally healthy and likely earning much more money now in places that truly value our great work.

Work Hard and You Will Be Rewarded

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFast-paced agency with a diverse client list allowing employees to gain experience in a number of different tasks, roles and industries. If you are committed to working hard, you will be rewarded--opportunity for growth is greater here than most agencies. Great team environment with everyone working together and always willing to help each other.

ConsHas grown quickly and would benefit from a trained HR professional on staff.

Great place if you are a committed and talented professional.

Account Supervisor (Former Employee)
Bingham Farms, MI

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI am very surprised to read some of these reviews. I have been in the PR field for more than 25 years, mostly in agency work, and found Identity to be one of the most inclusive and supportive teams I have ever had the pleasure of joining. That being said, if you are not willing to work hard and fully commit, this is not the place for you. If you are, however, there are great opportunities for growth and challenge.

ConsNot necessarily a con -- but the culture is very, very young. Something to consider if you are a more experienced professional.

Disaster in the Making

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations

ProsYou will be able to work and work a lot. Attend meetings and dive right in. Great for the beginner just starting out in their career. The culture is unmatched. There will be so many events going you will feel spoiled! Very exciting.

ConsThe external perception does not meet the internal reality. This company is based on pure emotion. Misuse of power on the top level. You may work your butt off and then be thrown away in the next minute. Its a very "disposable" culture. Do not expect that you or your department will be the exception. "Great work" is rewarded with dumb downed versions. It's whatever sells and makes money at the end of the day. Beware, this is a Cinderella story with no glass slipper.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe start a popsicle stand. You have no right to be in the industry and even less to be managing people. Stop your shady fly by the night practices and do what is right for your clients.

Do Great Work!

Bingham Farms, MI

I have been working at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIdentity is a great place to work with amazing opportunities for those who want to advance their careers. Employees are continually exposed to new markets/projects. You do have to work hard and there will be times when you work overtime - but you will be recognized and appreciated for this. You will be challenged and stimulated on a daily basis. The culture is very welcoming and team-based - and there is compassion and work/life balance. Identity is committed to "leave a mark" for their clients and their community as a whole (great "giving back" program). If you want to be inspired and be an inspiration to others - come join our team.

ConsIf you don't want to work hard - this is not the place for you. If you don't like a team environment, definitely not the place for you. Due to change and growth, written policies and procedures are not documented for all areas, which can cause some confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recognize and develop staff's unique capabilities and skill sets. Formalize written policies/procedures for consistency and continuity.

What doesn't kill you, gets you a better job somewhere else

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations full-time

ProsWorking at Identity was one of the best learning experiences I could have been offered so early in my career. There is a diverse workload, and ample opportunities to get your feet wet in numerous different industries. They welcome those with a diverse skillset, and quickly throw you into the ring, as you attend client meetings and begin a hefty workload immediately.

There is also a heavy emphasis on company culture. Holiday parties, company picnics, happy hours, and a dozen or so other little treats are part of the day to day at Identity. As an employee you feel spoiled and as if company morale is truly important to the company.

For someone straight out of college, eager to decide if this is the right industry for them, I would recommend spending a year with Identity. Not only is it a great place to dive into the industry, it is also a great place to learn the under belly of office politics.

ConsAfter spending some time with the company it became clear to me that the emphasis on company culture was a result of poor morale, which was due to the unethical behavior, and negative treatment of the staff. Promotion and incentive was awarded not by hard work or seniority but rather how well someone liked you. Assignments are divvied up based on who is on upper management’s good side that week. Financial incentives have no barometer and lack consistency. Though they claim to hold a benchmarking system, it means nothing if the men and women who sit on top of the company don’t care for you or on the alternative are threatened by you. In the last year and a half their turnover rate has sky rocketed to over 50% and they are only a company of 25. Those on top are not only willing to stab those beneath them in the back, but also those that sit beside them, which is felt throughout.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to humble yourself enough to realize what is happening around you. Refrain from advising employees to change their friends within the company. Take a moment to look at the great talent you lost, and great talent you risk losing if things continue as is. I wish the company nothing but success in the future, but realize this is highly unlikely as word continues to spread about the reality of the work environment and unethical behavior. Reward based on a true benchmarking system, and not on the daily feelings of those who sit on top. Lastly, realize that when you speak ill of those who come in to interview with your firm, you never know where their connections lie. It’s important not to burn bridges especially when your company is going through a crucial rebirth.

Working at Identity Taught Me There Was Nowhere to Go But Up

I worked at Identity Marketing & Public Relations

ProsThis job is great for an entry-level position. The upper-level staff is fantastic at teaching you the ins and outs of public relations, and never turns a question away. If you are just out of college and want to jump deep into the chaotic world of agency life, this job will definitely break you in. It's similar to learning how to parallel park in a large SUV; once you've conditioned yourself to handle Identity, you can handle anything.

Identity is also great at encouraging the administrative team to liven company culture by hosting different events, fun office activities and happy hours.

ConsIn the same way that learning to work your behind off is a blessing, at Identity, it was also a huge curse. The company is run by leadership that has little regard for the well being of the "little guys." It is also a culture that happens to reward the boss "favorites." As you can expect, those that rise to favoritism rise in professional rank as well, and—coincidentally—have no problem trampling on their professional "inferiors."

This job taught me an important lesson, and one that I am lucky to have learned so early in my professional career: working hard, being ethical and being nice won't necessarily get you anywhere. It was only after I left Identity that I realized that all professional environments are not so cut-throat, malicious and gossip-ridden. If you truly believe in integrity and collaboration for the sake of the client and the project, Identity is not the place for you. Individual motives always trump the potential of a project. I encourage all those who are still employed at Identity and are considering moving elsewhere to take a leap of faith; there is a better place out there for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease value and recognize all of your employees instead of the select few. Please take a stand for ethics. Monitor upper-level positions for the abuse of assistants and interns. Be clear about career advancement and salary, and do not expect good employees to remain at Identity if you are not paying them the respect, both personably and monetarily, for the work that they have done.

Worked for Identity Marketing & Public Relations? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Identity Marketing & Public Relations reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Identity Marketing & Public Relations CEO Mark Winter. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Identity Marketing & Public Relations employees.