Ifbyphone Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
4.2

Ifbyphone CEO and CTO Irv Shapiro
Irv Shapiro

A great opportunity to work at a great company

Current Employee - Applications Developer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ifbyphone full-time for less than a year

Pros

The time-off policy is great, and even though I was a new employee I was allowed to take vacation almost immediately. Management at all levels is easy to work with and shortly after starting I was able to work with HR and accounting to help me transition between jobs with different pay periods. There is plenty of work that needs to be done and I was given projects shortly after starting, but there was plenty of time set aside for formal training, and even now that formal training has concluded my co-workers, both management and fellow colleagues, are quick to answer any questions that I have.

The company is very transparent which is great compared to other jobs I have held in the past. I love being able to see when we get a new client and when we lose a client, as well as being able to see at any given moment how much revenue we are bringing in. This transparency gives me faith in the stability of the company, but is also a great way to see the direct fruits of my labor.

Cons

There are definitely some growing pains, and getting my computer configured to start working was a little rocky, but there are already plans being put into place to smooth the onboarding process in the future. Socializing is encouraged, but for the most part I don't really know anybody outside of the technical teams. There is a decent amount of technical debt in some of the older code, which can make some projects more difficult than they need to be.

It would be nice if more insurance was covered by the company instead of just medical, and if there was company match for retirement plans. Tuition assistance or reimbursement would also be a great benefit to encourage lifetime learning and so employees can bring new ideas to the company.

Great technology, mediocre management

Former Employee - Sales  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ifbyphone full-time for more than a year

Pros

The technology platform that Ifbyphone developed is really amazing. The features and functions that are offered at its price point is unrivaled. The company is also staffed, upto but not including the managerial suite with very bright and creative people. The work environment is relaxed and due to the CEO's desire to mimic a west coast start up, the office amenities are pretty good.

Cons

Management claims that there is an open door policy but there isn't.

Pick a market and stick with it

Great place to work with plenty of opportunity for personal and career growth

I have been working at Ifbyphone full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are extremely smart, hardworking, and collegial. Unlimited PTO. Very entrepreneurial culture. Easy access to senior management. Great office space and location (just added another floor!).

Clearly this is a company that's going to be a success story in the Chicago tech community.

Cons

As a fast growing company that's hiring quickly there are a lot of new faces, which can make communication/alignment a challenge.

Training tools for employee onboarding and continuing ed could be very useful.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't come to just collect a paycheck

I have been working at Ifbyphone full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Ifbyphone is hard. Better said, working at Ifbyphone is not for someone who wants to show up and not put everything you have into every day. This is fast-growing tech company which could easily brag about being the smartest company in Chicago. Everyone here is smart, passionate, honest, and ambitious.

The workplace is fun, although the company has lost a lot of it's start-up culture in the past few months. Management has preserved the most important aspects in that culture by ensuring each employee is very well compensated, challenged, rewarded, and heard. Work life balance is respected honestly by Ifbyphone. There's an open vacation policy and lots of non-work activities to do around the office. In addition, it's not every company you have the ability to walk into any executive's office, without a meeting, to ask questions or get input.

Working here has allowed me to take on a lot of unique challenges. That being said, I have failed a lot here too. I have made mistakes and each and every time I sit down with my manager. We identify the cause and work to learn from the mistakes together. This has been one of the best ways to develop industry and product knowledge.

Cons

The entire sales team has to be very agile. The initiatives coming from management are continually changing. This could be due to being on the bleeding edge of an industry Ifbyphone defined but it makes it difficult knowing what the top priority is.

The culture has been recessing to a more stereotypical "corporate" environment. Every day for months has been 'push even harder than yesterday' and the high turnover is evidence of the stress this is putting on salesmen. The entire office in general doesn't have the energy it had just a short time ago.

The way Ifbphone reviews and selects candidates can not change. Right now, the right people come through the door that fit perfectly into Team Ifbyphone. All the employees will agree that their coworkers are what make this company a rewarding place to work.

Best Company I ever worked for

I have been working at Ifbyphone full-time for less than a year

Pros

High energy, fast paced, solving huge business problem, very smart people, new leadership has us going in the right direction. There is lots of trust now and people are excited to come to work. Just added a second floor and company is ready to expand even further.

Cons

Brand name not as recognizable as wanted but that is changing

Extremely talented group of people at an exciting company.

I have been working at Ifbyphone full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ifbyphone is a great place to work. R&D is huge and they are always adding new features and products that continue to give the company an edge in the market. The support staff is outstanding and always available for help, training, brainstorming, etc. I can't say enough about those teams. The sales managers are always available for help, even if you're not on their team they'll help you. This place attracts people with a crazy amount of talent from the management team to our Account Development Reps. As long as you understand what your role is, which is clearly spelled out, and do your job, which you have a lot of resources available to help you, you will do well here.

Cons

It would be nice if the 401k was matched. This section requires a 20 word minimum so this sentence was needed.

It's sometimes ok

I have been working at Ifbyphone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Client Support is well maintainted and most people do not have egos across all areas. Office space is pretty nice and well located. Good camaraderie among co-workers.

Cons

Pretty difficult place to be in sales. There has been lots of turnover in the sales area from management all the way to the people on the floor. Three different heads of sales in less then three years. Don't know who is coming or going and what sales directive will be the flavor of the month. Decision makers make a lot of knee jerk decisions and then justify them by saying they are growing/changing rapidly instead of acknowledge lack of seeing a product or an internal idea through completion.

Ifbyphone Response

Aug 4, 2014HR Manager

I fully understand why this individual has the perspective they have. It is very difficult to work in an organization focused on extreme growth. Every great high growth company needs to be nimble ... More

Ifbyphone Rivals The Best Companies To Work For In The World, In Every Way

I have been working at Ifbyphone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ifbyphone rivals top-ranked companies throughout the world as one of the best places to work in every way. Industry leading pay, excellent benefits, a cool culture in downtown Chicago, and interesting, intelligent people to work with. Plus, Ifbyphone offers employees the ability to turn their ideas into concrete projects and solutions, unlike many companies where bureaucracy often stands in the way.

I was recently offered a job from a very well-known search engine, with over 300 offices worldwide. I turned it down because Ifbyphone offered a better overall package and was more understanding of my needs as an individual. Staying at Ifbyphone gives me the chance to grow my career in ways that this large company would never be able to offer. This company pressured me heavily into accepting a position that wasn't right for me personally or professionally. Going through this process I have learned how genuinely Ifbyphone management cares for their employees and I feel a real sense of warmth and well-being because of it. Not many people can say that about the company they work for.

Thank you Ifbyphone for caring about me and understanding how my happiness affects your bottom line. I am confident that my future at Ifbyphone holds exceptional professional development, growth and success.

Cons

It would be nice to see more diversity within the company and more women in management roles.

What is happening?

I have been working at Ifbyphone full-time for more than a year

Pros

This place has all the whistles and bells of a great company from the outside. Drinks and snacks and great people. They want SWANS and have a lot of great people. The product will sell to the right client. You must put in the work but it can be done.

Cons

Not sure what is going on with CEO and upper management. Products changing and not good communication about new products with visibility. Now lost VP of Sales and seems like this company which I thought once was great is going in absolutely wrong direction. Many people are looking to jump ship in all departments which is going to kill morale even more. Numbers seem to be skewed and amount of sales dwindling. I have heard other senior key employees either are leaving or talking bad about company which blows my mind. Makes you wonder if this company will be around next year.

Probably need to evaluate the entire sales structure and moral. Not the easiest or best place to work and communication needs to increase between departments. Looking back I was definitely sold on this position for different job description.

Ifbyphone Response

May 4, 2014HR Manager

As the CEO at Ifbyphone I thought it appropriate that I respond to this comment directly. Yes we have all of the Silicon Valley bells and whistles but that is not what is important to us. A great ... More

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Ifbyphone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, relaxed environment, free drinks and snacks. Unlimited vacation days! Growing company with good career opportunities if you do your job well. Employees are trusted and empowered to succeed.

Cons

Still a startup of sorts, so no bonuses, and not necessarily the highest paying gig in town. Its not such a sexy product (though it does sell well)

Consider more opportunities for employees to benefit from the growth of the company, like allowing them to buy in to funding rounds.

Worked for Ifbyphone? Contribute to the Community!