Iha of Ann Arbor

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
2.5

CEO

Learned a lot, but unable to grow.

Former Employee - Medical Receptionist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Medical Receptionist in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Iha of Ann Arbor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, PTO, set schedule, clean work environment, always progressing to use new technology, friendly coworkers and executives, HR department is great.

Cons

Limited time to mentor and teach, limited space to move up, more interested in people established in their careers rather than giving a chance to an up and coming person .

Mentor more people and give current staff and chance to advance further.

Under paid

I worked at Iha of Ann Arbor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good basic foundation. The company values are good.

Cons

Upper management doesn't have a clue.

Upper management needs to get a clue and pay attention to what is going on in their business.

An abysmal job within a company that seems to lack leadership. I am looking for ANY way out of this place.

I have been working at Iha of Ann Arbor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only thing that has kept me from walking out of my job is the wonderful relationships I have developed with my direct co-workers.

Cons

The concept of a work-life balance at a "growing, fast-paced" organization is laughable. "Growing" means that the organization will absorb doctors from other organizations and change the clinic hours at the expense of the employees. When I was hired in I was told I would have only one late night of work a week and we could volunteer to work the Saturday hours. All of a sudden we have several late nights a week and since we are short-staffed "leadership" backs us into awful schedules that we initially would never have agreed to. Fast-paced means you will be expected to work feverishly every minute of every day with no relief doing boring repetitive work for little pay and while getting zero respect or appreciation.

Opportunities for advancement? Zilch. The only ways to rise in this company is to become a medical receptionist supervisor, practice manager, or some other type of employee at the corporate level. Those jobs are few and far between.

The pay is laughably low for all of the work we are required to do and all of the sacrifices we have to make. We kiss the patients' behinds, never hold them accountable for their own health or mistakes and they keep taking away benefits. Case in point, retirement funds were done away with under the guise that we would instead get quarterly bonuses. Guess what? Last quarter the company decided they were not profitable enough to give us a bonus at all.

The health insurance is way too expensive.

My major problem with this organization is that when someone does have a complaint, there is nowhere for it to go. Each time you send an email to say, an HR rep, they automatically send a copy of it to your practice manager. Practice managers seem to get to their position based on who they know as opposed to merit. I have no idea as to how my current practice manager got her job because she is simply awful.

You might want to be more thorough when you hire managers and when you promote people to higher positions. You have a lot of people in high positions that don't appear to have a clue as to what they are doing, but they'll have meetings all day like they are really getting anything accomplished.

You might want to occasionally solicit ANONYMOUS feedback from your hourly associates and allow for them to have ANONYMOUS channels to complain. I don't understand why everything goes through the practice manager.

It would be nice to have at least ONE solid policy on the books that the practice manager cannot bend. I have worked for other companies and I am appalled at how sloppy IHA is in terms of how PMs can just bend rules and make new rules at the expense of the employees.

You will continue to have postings for the same jobs (i.e., high employee turnover) until you start treating your employees better.

Prepare for high school all over again

I have been working at Iha of Ann Arbor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay for the most part.

Cons

No breaks, over work, coworkers from cliques, and if you don't belong don't expect to keep your job, if you do belong you can basically do anything you want. They will fire you for no reason and always at the last day of the month so you can't use what little benefits you do have that you paid too much money for.

Grow up and graduate high school already!

Prepare to be overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Medical Secretary in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Medical Secretary in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Iha of Ann Arbor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have great coworkers. Most of us do support one another. The doctors are very competent.

Cons

Low pay, policies subject to change with little to no notice, benefits are nonexistent, little opportunity for advancement

I am not sure how it can be done, but for someone who aspires to be more than a medical secretary, there ought to be more options available than just practice management or jobs within the central office... The practice manager jobs are few and far between. It is like we are stuck with crappy low pay and the benefits are nonexistent. No retirement matching? The super-expensive health insurance on top of that? It is difficult for me to recommend this company to others for anything other than coming in as a patient and getting great care.

great experience taught me a lot

Former Employee - Medical Receptionist
    Former Employee - Medical Receptionist

I worked at Iha of Ann Arbor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

very flexible, understanding company cares about employees

Cons

not much room for advancement in my position