Illinois Institute of Art

1.9

CEO

Adjunct faculty

I have been working at Illinois Institute of Art part-time

Pros

11 weeks/course with 1 week off. Free Lynda and Gnomon workshop vedio access. As an instructor you are able to teach the material however you like as long as you cover the course objectives. Overall a nice place to work

Cons

The corporate online training is tedious. Corporate needs to realize that there are some places to save money and some places to spend money to keep and attract customers.

Uses student workers for things they should not be doing

Former Employee - Student Worker
    Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work around your personal schedule

Cons

Management would take three hour lunch breaks, I have no clue how they remain working there.

Don't take three hour lunch breaks and don't use your workers to cover for you.

it payed the bills...sometimes

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art

Pros

great support between faculty members

Cons

corporate owned - focus is not on education, but on making $$$ for stockholders. Absolutely no possible growth or career advancement opportunities for faculty.

behave less like used car dealers.

Terrible educational institution and place to work

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art

Pros

They pay admissions and a few other positions cushy salaries, but I think that's more out of necessity to hopefully curb their unusually high staff turnover rate. After leaving the school I had several students reach out to me thanking me for my help and updating me that they found out it's a worthless school and transferring elsewhere.

Cons

Admissions is managed out of brute force/fear tactics by someone who should have been fired a long time ago. Quality of classroom instruction is incredibly low (a few exceptions of stellar professors) so students quickly leave. Between slimy admissions tactics ando poor instruction, I encourage any job seekers to stay far away.

Notice the patterns and make staffing decisions accordingly.

Overall expensive yet excellent education for students. But middle managers, staff and faculty beware.

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Talented, creative, and dedicated instructors and students who are proud of their efforts and create an excellent teaching and learning environment. Career placement is in place to back up the education efforts. Most middle managers are supportive to staff/faculty when they are not unavailable due to heavy teaching requirements. Suburban locations and connections to other Ai colleges nation-wide can be supportive.

Cons

This college is part of a for-profit, publicly traded corporation, EDMC. Unfortunately, decisions are made at the top and are motivated by the ultimate goal of making money by bringing in students and keeping them enrolled. There is nothing wrong with making money - but it comes at the cost of abandoning teamwork, not tapping into staff expertise/experience, and substituting haste for smart and informed decision-making. The upper management at the campus level has little leadership ability and takes orders from corporate to dictate them to others with poor communication and zero motivational skills.

You have so many talented people doing great things but you don't know their names or recognize their contributions to your success. You are operating under an old boys club, top-down, hierarchy system. Until you change your traditional, decisions-only-come-from-a-very-few-at-the-very-top culture, you will continue to have unhappy employees until you drive them all away.

It has been rewarding

Current Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Director of Admissions in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Illinois Institute of Art full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Personal growth and purpose, decent compensation

Cons

Hours are not very good, culture is changing for the worst

Trust your employees to be professionals

Nice local people

Current Employee - Academic Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Academic Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Illinois Institute of Art full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Local folks were great until DRay showed up. Corporate folks are morons.

Cons

All about the money--ethical or not

Know and respect your own people.

Not a horrible job, but a horrible culture and boss

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Helping students is definitely the best part of this job! Very satisfying to see a student you work with start their college journey!

Cons

The whole culture is lacking, the position is supposed to be about whats best for the students, but ultimately all that is truly cared about is numbers. Not to mention the specific location of Schaumburg who has the most manipulative and two-faced boss that I've ever worked for. Truly unprofessional in the way that she acted and spoke to her employees.

Actually be about the students and whats best for them. I know its a business and you have to make money, but having happy and successful students will make the school successful which in turn will make you money.

Good Luck!

Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Students who otherwise would have no option to go to school have an open door to higher education.

Cons

Compensation was weak, organizational structure is top heavy and chaotic. Looking only to stay afloat versus long term student success.

The morale at your company is dismal! Do something to change that and maybe prospective students/ continuing students will believe you care. They may even be more inclined to enroll/continue knowing that you care about them finishing their education.

Great company, provides a lot of opportunity for professional grows and excellent team of faculty and staff.

Former Employee - Director of Finance in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Director of Finance in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful leadership, great work condition, employees teamwork to help students to find jobs in 6 month after graduation. Corporate (EDMC) offers good benefits, training opportunity and a room to grow..

Cons

Company offers a lot of opportunity for personal grows, open door policy to discuss any issue with executive members and see the result of the discussions..

As i mentioned from above it is great company to work for and get all attention from upper Management..