Illinois Institute of Art

Illinois Institute of Art Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

ILIA is a poorly run for profit school.

Faculty (Former Employee)

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFaculty are professional and caring

ConsManagement is poor and lacking in numerous areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out. Its about students

Selling an education that doesn't deliver.

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay, relatively easy job.

ConsSales driven environment for education, which doesn't make any sense. This is a purely numbers-driven job. The education offered for prospective students should be questioned. Do your research before accepting a job. Company who operates Ai is in numerous lawsuits for questionable advising to prospective students.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of going after number of enrollments and applications, the school should focus on improving its educational standards (minimum GPA requirement is between a 2.0-2.5 for most programs) and quality of teaching. They should nurture an environment of learning, not one of money and number of applications. People who go here are severely disadvantaged after graduating and have far too much debt for an education that might not pay off.

All about $$$$

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou have the opportunity to meet some very talented students, location is great and pay is comparable to other schools in the area.

ConsThe company only cares about the bottom line and not the students. Career growth opportunities are poor. Management does not have foresight.

Advice to Senior ManagementEducated yourselves on your department and employees. Work with them and not against them. Focus on the students and helping them become successful.

Lay offs due to corporate restructuring

Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStudents and Teachers are interested in learning and education.
Good faculty and motivated students that are interested in ready to work educational programming.

ConsNumerous managerial issues, low stock price, poor management of assets, questionable sales tactics, federal investigation, owned by parent company Goldman Sachs

Ummm if you like sales

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Illinois Institute of Art full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work environment in terms of the team you are around. Good pay, but benefits are terrible. You can learn a lot about customer service and grow really thick skin.

ConsThe hours are not good at all. A lot of cold calling. Bad morals and ethics. It feels like a telemarketing job at times. If you do not mind persuading kids and adults into a "water-downed" degree you will do fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hanging people's job over their head every review. Micromanaging is not effective. The product is not that great so it's really hard to sell. For-profit education is not the route for most people and the goals that are given are unrealistic. Also, everyone cannot be a drone and behave like management wants. People have morals, values, and ethics they want to follow.

Good students, bad management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art

ProsDedicated faculty, some really good students

ConsCompany as a whole just doesn't seem to care.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your students and local staff.

If toxic is what you want, then work here.

Does IT Matter? Having A Job IS Not Good News Here (Former Employee)

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits (401K, medical) are ok.

ConsMonetary compensation is well below industry standard, Management offers little to no support to the staff/faculty, Layoffs have been/are continuing to happen. workload is extremely excessive. Environment is very toxic. Morale is extremely low. The culture of this workplace is one of just anticipating to be the next to get the axe.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suppose selling the company to an entity that cares about more than the bottom line is out of the question?

It was good while it lasted.

Associate Professor (Current Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Illinois Institute of Art full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI had the opportunity to help develop new creatives in the industry.

ConsThe things they were doing well, they stopped doing. It made for an increasingly difficult environment as a teacher who genuinely cares about their students.

An okay place to adjunct

Gen Ed Indstrictor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Illinois Institute of Art

ProsQuarter schedule at AI can fill holes between semesters at other schools. Dept heads are nice, deans are okay (typical bosses). Students make it special - this is a different crowd than a community college!

ConsSalary is okay, limit to number of classes assigned per year. AI faculty needs a union real bad!

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time communicating to faculty in general. Be more visible in committees and try to at least appear more decentralized and open.

Not the worst job I've ever had but...

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at Illinois Institute of Art full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive salary, nice people (not in management though), free coffee (yes!), good support staff. I'm struggling to come up with more positives.

Cons-Management treats you like you're 12 years old.
-Expectations are high and constantly changing.
-The product you are selling is not nearly worth the price ($86,000 for an Animation degree with poor instructors along the way.)
-Constant micromanaging and management via email.
-Passive/aggressive management style.
-To be successful you have to bend if not break the law and lie to students about the quality of the education.
-Fall short of your numbers for 6 months and expect to get fired unless you know someone in management.
-Socializing with fellow employees is highly discouraged, it's seriously ALL about production.
-They have an Open House, Orientation, or Pre-Orientation on about two-thirds of Saturdays and you better be there or they will make snide comments about how you weren't there.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that if you give your employees some time to socialize without scrutiny or give employees some outlets to enjoy their day rather than constantly pushing production that the employees would stay on task when they are at their desk. Without these outlets, many employees find their own outlets by spending a lot of time on Facebook, Twitter, ESPN, etc. because it's the only thing they can do to take a mental break. When management walks by and sees the employees on distraction websites, they shoot a look or make a comment. This is not a healthy work environment. Also, don't dangle the possibility of getting fired over everyone's head as an 'incentive' to do a good job.

Worked for Illinois Institute of Art? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Illinois Institute of Art reviews and ratings. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Illinois Institute of Art employees.