Illinois State

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
3.9

Larry Dietz

Pros
  • The work/life balance is really commendable at Illinois State University (in 4 reviews)

• Great work family balance, great benefits, very nice people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage pay and time management (in 3 reviews)

• early work hours make it difficult (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Normal, IL

I have been working at Illinois State as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of time off, good benefits great environment being among college students. The town is very good, great public transportation. Recently recognized as one of the top ten towns to live.

Cons

Still maturing in IT Project Management processes. In the middle of a large legacy sunset project, so extreme stress to meet deadlines, high turnover of management and team. We have time-off benefits but approval to get time off is hard at this time

Bring in Project Managers before starting a project, do not promise dates to the world before planning the work. Promote good workers and qualm the team's fears that this high paced work and the push to complete is temporary and is highly appreciated.

Graduate Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Normal, IL

I worked at Illinois State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being a research assistant was a great experience which paid for my graduate school at ISU. This job has given me a lot of opportunities that wouldn't have been available if I did not take it.

Cons

You are assigned a random teacher to work under each semester and depending on who you are assigned, it may be very unorganized or overwhelming. The pay is not great but I think benefits outweigh this issue

Lifeguard

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Normal, IL

I worked at Illinois State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible hours to work around class schedules, excellent management staff that were very personable and helpful.

Cons

Working with the same coworkers may get boring at times, as you have a set schedule for each semester.

Earned Bachelor's of Science in Apparel Design

I have been working at Illinois State

Pros

Great professors and coursework.

Cons

Wish there were more courses available for design construction, especially menswear.

Illinois State is an awesome employer.

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Normal, IL

I have been working at Illinois State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work schedule is very flexible. The professors I worked with are very professional, supportive, understanding and helpful. The benefits I get from work helped me a lot in supporting my studies at the University. Workload is very much manageable.

Cons

Minimal professional growth. The sole purpose of the job is to support my studies financially so there is not much of an opportunity to grow professionally.

Worked as GA at the college of Applied Science and tech

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Normal, IL

I have been working at Illinois State part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, applied and acquired a wide range of skills. Helpful and cooperative manager. Worked part time 20 hours a week, flexible schedule.

Cons

There were no cons for working part time. Was very satisfied during my time working as a grad assistant at the college of applied science and technology

If you find a position you like, the overall experience is pleasant, simple, and convenient.

Current Employee - Student Worker in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Normal, IL

I have been working at Illinois State part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Freedom to work at your own pace
    Trusted to do your best work and enter your work hours
    Build rapport with your employer (teachers, administrators...)
    Helpful peers

Cons

With much freedom comes a lack of direction (if you're self-motivated and don't have a problem with creating work for yourself, this shouldn't be an issue)
    Insufficient source of professional experience

It is what it is

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Normal, IL

I have been working at Illinois State full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid and stable. You get to work with great students. Nice but not spectacular benefits.

Cons

Definately a two-tier work place: faculty ar treated preferentially over other staff. Little to no opportunities to advance. This is a dead-end keep this job until you retire type job.

Very limited opportunity within Administrative Technologies

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Normal, IL

I have been working at Illinois State full-time

Pros

The medical/dental/vacation benefits are the best pros for ISU. If you are hired as a civil service, there are also retirement options that may be beneficial (assuming the state stays solvent, which is not a certainty). Its also a wonderful diverse tolerant community. Working with students is always dynamic and exciting. ISU is also in good fiscal health compared to other universities.

Cons

Within Administrative Technologies there are a number of issues: 1. The movement away from hiring people with a civil service classification (which makes it difficult to get laid off) to one/two year contracts. You take much less pay working for ISU, the typical tradeoff use to be job security, that is now changing. 2. Lack of clear upward advancement -- Many people keep the same job duties forever. There is almost no potential for advancement. Hand in hand with this is no way to move up in salary. If you are taking a job at ISU, make sure your starting salary meets your future needs, you will not have anything more than a 1% to 3% raise, depending on the health of the university. 3. Enterprise mentality - In the last two years, there has been a movement towards treating people as they were working within a large enterprise. This has meant mandatory overtime for large numbers of IT staff. So be prepared to be asked to work evenings, weekends, and have blackout/brownout periods which limit your ability to take time off. 4. Poor morale - As for Fall of 2014, morale is poor within Administrative Technologies and most competent people that are not tied into the civil service retirement are leaving. Administrative Technologies has had about 40% turnover in the last 2 years. 5. Politics - Every job has office politics. The issue with ISU is that there is no bottom line, so it is very easy to make decisions based on friendships, instead of ability

Need to take care of your workers. Clear advancement would be a first and offer raises when people acquire new skills and responsibilities.

Great professional development

Current Employee - Admissions in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions in Normal, IL

I have been working at Illinois State as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership, professional development, networking, public speaking, organization

Cons

advancement opportunities, salary rate, long work hours for low pay