Illinois Tool Works

Illinois Tool Works Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014

E. Scott Santi

Pros
  • Great benefits, Challenging projects, Executive management actively involved (in 11 reviews)

• Decentralized business units; standalone companies yet still under the corporate umbrella (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They are going through a major consolidation at the moment, reducing the 800 business units down to 150 or so (in 10 reviews)

• There's all these pillars but no one is really seeing any movement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

ITW is not a company but It's a Family

Current Employee - Financial Reporting in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Financial Reporting in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Culture
    * My Boss
    * Lateral Changes in Work profile

Cons

It does not have any office to work at my Ahmedabad.

Keep it up for mission of 2020.

tax intern

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works as an intern

Pros

Good hours. Nice people. Good work and life balance. Good pay for the entry level.

Cons

Limited growing space as other industry companies.

Network Application Manager defining use cases for wired and wireless connectivity in food retail scales. Serve as VOC which translated directly into requirements for the NPD (new product development) team. Ran beta user program for first scale management software.

Current Employee - Associate Global Product Manager in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Associate Global Product Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Diversified industrials and growing revenues from non-US markets add increased stability. Ability to laterally move between businesses without hindrance.

Cons

Managers are not trained they are picked because they are too performers. Even if they lack people skills and strategic thinking they are handed the keys to the organization. HR processes are great in theory but not in practice.

Give people more than 3-6 months in professional roles. All your docs say it takes 9-18 months to get up to speed in these positions. Diversity- walk the talk! Decide exactly where you want decentralization and stick to it get managers buy in.

ITW offers a variety of options with good benefits

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time

Pros

Benefits galore. The sector of ITW that I worked in was a very tight knit group that made for a very nice work environment.

Cons

Diverse, yet quick and ruthless paced environment, that is sometimes stuck looking strictly at the profit margin. Surprised to see how quickly employees are let go.

Run now, don't wait at all

I worked at Illinois Tool Works

Pros

Not many, a lot of hours and below average pay

Cons

A lot, let me count the ways

Sourcing Intern

I worked at Illinois Tool Works as an intern

Pros

Great environment and employee relationships

Cons

Work load was often inconsistent

Constantly changing environment

Current Employee - PC Support Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - PC Support Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-good company with long track record
    -new executives are focused on increasing stock price
    -company is well known for promoting from within and having long term employees
    -many of the workers who have been there for awhile make each day worth it
    -collaborating with other business units is enjoyable

Cons

-new executives are focused on increasing stock price
    -company goes through constant shake-ups and org changes to keep up with M&A's, as well as many changes in IT
    -most of the business units are completely separate and thus suffer from not having a common budget or common organziation. Ultimately it makes collaborating harder, and cost of business more. For IT, it makes it harder to get captial expenses approved
    -a lot of changes are currently in the works. ITW just sold off signode which was a huge company for them. It is hard to say what ITW will try to keep in its portfolio
    -not all the managers are created equal. Having a bad manager will really ruin your experience anywhere, but here, it could ruin your life. I've had three different managers, and our current one doesn't know how to handle the day to day. He spends most of his time in meetings trying to collaborate with other units to get his projects done. This is probably a good thing and is something he was brought on to do, however the downside is not having a manager that is really committed to his employees epxereience - and he tends to be very detached from the issues the affect our department, and thus the company.
    -high turnover, and in IT it makes it hard to integrate when everyone is new.
    -alot of the older employees are worried about their jobs, and that affects morale. Even more so, it makes some of them very viscious and defensive about their jobs
    -everyone is overworked, because people have left or quit and were never replaced. Many times you are doing the job of several people. Managers are pretty aware of this, but it doesn't seem like they can do anything - corporate is trying to keep costs down.
    - i was hired at a lower level than the work I was expected to do. This is great for my experience, so it almost is a pro. However, I am getting paid for less than what the IL Bureau Labor Statistics shows is the standard. It also isn't good for me when I want to move on, because people don't have a clear idea of what I do.

Focus on getting the talent that will be able to handle the day-to-day and improve morale in departments. Try not to have huge organizational changes every year. When hiring new managers think about how you will get through the mundane things first, and don't be afraid to break up a single job into several - it isn't always good to give one guy a six figure salary, when you could higher three people for the same price (which would cover more ground). Keep in mind that all the employees are over worked... there is too much that needs to get done and not enough time - either hire more workers or delegate better.

Great career starter.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every division has hard working, intelligent, senior employees that are willing to help newbies.High levels of responsibility are given early allowing you to earn respect quickly. Divisions operate with separately, so even though there are 51,000 ITW employees you get to know most everyone in your own division very well.

Cons

Personal growth is not well defined. You are either on the fast track or you are not it seems. Pay is average or below. Management changes frequently.

Don't change for the sake of change. There are a lot of employees that know how to run a successful business, and have gotten this company to where it is today.

Culture is evolving -- much more draconian around cost management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

I worked at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The executives were down to earth, low ego

Cons

Decentralized culture can be hard to navigate. Focus is more on cost and downsizing now -- do more with less. Cutting into the muscle. Is is sustainable?

Don't forget about people. Make sure you are investing in career growth.

Excellent company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

ITW cultivates creative and high energy people. The management team is very smart and capable. The product lines and customers are great.

Cons

The company is going through many structural and management changes that are good for the future.