Illinois Tool Works Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
152 reviews filtered by
E. Scott Santi

Pros
  • Great benefits, Challenging projects, Executive management actively involved (in 13 reviews)

• Decentralized business units; standalone companies yet still under the corporate umbrella (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They are going through a major consolidation at the moment, reducing the 800 business units down to 150 or so (in 11 reviews)

• There's all these pillars but no one is really seeing any movement (in 5 reviews)

1. Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Illinois Tool Works

Pros

Interesting work. Great colleagues. Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Management attrition, Illinois tax rate changes, and change of focus at the top cause mass layoffs. A project can fall from being company critical to unwanted within a six month time frame. Dedication to stock holders versus dedication to employees shifts quickly.

Advice to Management

Your reputation as a stable employer in professional societies is tarnished and your long term growth is stifled. You have lost tremendous talent, experience, and dedication. But you have reduced your Illinois corporate taxes. Bad decisions in Springfield are greatly changing corporate decisions. You act quickly to save stock holders from losing money or selling by cutting dedicated talented employees. Thus you have fallen from being an exceptional employer to being like most other employers.

2. Constant change - major restructuring underway - need to get onto 21st century

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are self-driven, self-motivated, willing to constantly do new things. ITW places a lot of trust in new leaders - you are given trust and have to work not to lose it. Often able to participate in global opportunities with frequent travel.

Cons

- outdated systems, tools, IT
    - shoestring budgets for most aspects of commercial activity
    - too quarterly-report driven, when the customers we are involved in do not think and operate in 3 months cycles (more like 18 month...)
    - do not leverage their global size (sourcing, IT, marketing)
    - below industry level pay
    - no stock options

Advice to Management

Take your eyes off of the Excel spreadsheet for a moment and consider what is really going on in the world around you.
    Start using IT like your Fortune 200 peers do, you are asking your middle management to run global businesses with 20th century tools at their disposal.
    Hire more people!

3. Validation Engineer

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Illinois Tool Works as an intern

Pros

Working with Automotive companies was great. Being involved with products that would launch and be on millions of vehicles. Relaxed work environment. Close to manufacturing. In-house prototyping.

Cons

Disconnect with upper management. Disorganized at times. Felt more like trial and error than strategic and well thought out moves. It should be said that recently ITW has gone though major restructuring.

5. Choose Your Own Adventure

Current Employee - Human Resources in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than a year)

Pros

ITW's entrepreneurial spirit and lean workforce means it's not only possible to make an impact in whatever position you hold, it's expected. This is true at all levels of the organization - whether you are a contract employee, intern, or full-time employee, your voice matters.

Additionally, its breadth and diversity of products leads to endless opportunities, especially if you are open to relocation. That said, there is no one ITW experience.

Cons

Because ITW is so decentralized and much of the workforce has spent decades working at ITW, change can be a very slow process.

Advice to Management

ITW is built on innovation. Make sure that's not just limited to the products we engineer.

6. Backwards thinking company with good ideas that are not implemented or ignored by ignorant, insecure "supervisors"!

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Hebron, IL
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Hebron, IL

I worked at Illinois Tool Works full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A few good coworkers who were willing to help a new guy get acclimated.

Cons

Outdated, policies and procedures, totally unprofessional behavior tolerated.

Advice to Management

Get serious about being progressive, don't just talk!

7. Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many training opps. Global cooperation.

Cons

Pay is not good enough.

Advice to Management

Keep DECENTRALIZED

8. This company is a proven leader in the industry. It is, and will always be a tremendous experience working with ITW

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company with all the benefits of a small/medium sized company. Growth within the company is also available.

Cons

Limited training and high pace environment. Management is constantly shifting as well.

Advice to Management

Management shifting for movement sake is not always the best option. The companies are run well, however, the constant battle of dealing with new management every few months is overwhelming.

9. Complete Joke.

Former Employee - Sourcing in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Sourcing in Glenview, IL

I worked at Illinois Tool Works full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You could sit and stare at the wall 8 hours a day and nobody would say anything. The pay/benefits were good.

Cons

This is a complete joke of a company - at least at the corporate level. Executive leadership and middle management refuses to move into the 21st century and are some of the most incompetent people I have ever met. Never before have I seen executives at a Fortune 200 company show such a basic misunderstanding of fundamental economics and finance.

The company makes tons of money through simply being as cheap as possible. They have 1 person to do what should be 5 jobs and are continuing to lay off more at the business unit levels. At corporate, they brag that employees may bring their own coffee to use in the company provided coffee machines. The most money I ever saw them spend was on the "holiday brunch" which was supplied by the on-site cafeteria...and started at 7am.

Sourcing is a complete joke - nobody in the company can give you a list of all the ITW locations, and they most definitely can not even give you a good guess as to the spend. We spend all our time putting together presentations with incorrect data that we are making up, only for the segments and business units to shut us down. 100% completely devoid of any process or logical thinking. Leadership was completely disengaged, only to be seen every other week where he asked for an update from everyone, to which we informed them of the exact same issues we have been facing for the last several months.

In such a decentralized company, with no spend visibility one would think that maybe we would need to travel to the actual business units to try to get some visibility. In 9 months there, I was out of the office for 6 days. God forbid we actually spend a little money to try to do our jobs and save a lot more.

Advice to Management

Quit pinching pennies and take your company into the modern age. The new building looks like a strong gust of wind would blow it over. How much could coffee really cost you? And take a basic economics class.

All large corporations have started to understand the importance of strategic sourcing in the future. It's very clear there are exactly 0 people here that understand anything about strategic sourcing. You need to commit and spend the money to bring in someone, likely consultants, that know what they are doing. It will pay for itself many times over in the long run.

Great working experience with great people!

Current Employee - Analyst in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The great people and the working environment is what I enjoy most about ITW. New corporate headquarters is not in a bad location either.

Cons

Not a company with too many people in their 20's it seems. As a younger person you will not meet too many people your age.

Illinois Tool Works Response

Apr 7, 2015ITW Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for your feedback. We think our people are great too! You might consider getting involved in ITW's Young Professionals Network (YPN) - it's geared for employees under 30 and hosts a mix of ... More

11. Time to clean house

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hebron, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hebron, IL

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works

Pros

Great benefits eight hour shifts most days good people

Cons

Often asked to work last minute overtime not very good on preventative maintenance very very shorthanded of people often like to do more with less no matter what the cost or the sacrifice to the employee is. Very poor raises always find some excuse to use to not get you one

Advice to Management

Need to start fresh they have supervisors there that they know were bad but they still keep them around start promoting with in your company and fasting in your people and you're going to start having a great company again

Illinois Tool Works Photos