Illinois Tool Works Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
146 reviews filtered by
2.9
E. Scott Santi

Pros
  • Great benefits, Challenging projects, Executive management actively involved (in 13 reviews)

• Decentralized business units; standalone companies yet still under the corporate umbrella (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They are going through a major consolidation at the moment, reducing the 800 business units down to 150 or so (in 11 reviews)

• There's all these pillars but no one is really seeing any movement (in 5 reviews)

1. This company is a proven leader in the industry. It is, and will always be a tremendous experience working with ITW

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company with all the benefits of a small/medium sized company. Growth within the company is also available.

Cons

Limited training and high pace environment. Management is constantly shifting as well.

Management shifting for movement sake is not always the best option. The companies are run well, however, the constant battle of dealing with new management every few months is overwhelming.

2. Complete Joke.

Former Employee - Sourcing in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Sourcing in Glenview, IL

I worked at Illinois Tool Works full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You could sit and stare at the wall 8 hours a day and nobody would say anything. The pay/benefits were good.

Cons

This is a complete joke of a company - at least at the corporate level. Executive leadership and middle management refuses to move into the 21st century and are some of the most incompetent people I have ever met. Never before have I seen executives at a Fortune 200 company show such a basic misunderstanding of fundamental economics and finance.

The company makes tons of money through simply being as cheap as possible. They have 1 person to do what should be 5 jobs and are continuing to lay off more at the business unit levels. At corporate, they brag that employees may bring their own coffee to use in the company provided coffee machines. The most money I ever saw them spend was on the "holiday brunch" which was supplied by the on-site cafeteria...and started at 7am.

Sourcing is a complete joke - nobody in the company can give you a list of all the ITW locations, and they most definitely can not even give you a good guess as to the spend. We spend all our time putting together presentations with incorrect data that we are making up, only for the segments and business units to shut us down. 100% completely devoid of any process or logical thinking. Leadership was completely disengaged, only to be seen every other week where he asked for an update from everyone, to which we informed them of the exact same issues we have been facing for the last several months.

In such a decentralized company, with no spend visibility one would think that maybe we would need to travel to the actual business units to try to get some visibility. In 9 months there, I was out of the office for 6 days. God forbid we actually spend a little money to try to do our jobs and save a lot more.

Quit pinching pennies and take your company into the modern age. The new building looks like a strong gust of wind would blow it over. How much could coffee really cost you? And take a basic economics class.

All large corporations have started to understand the importance of strategic sourcing in the future. It's very clear there are exactly 0 people here that understand anything about strategic sourcing. You need to commit and spend the money to bring in someone, likely consultants, that know what they are doing. It will pay for itself many times over in the long run.

Great working experience with great people!

Current Employee - Analyst in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The great people and the working environment is what I enjoy most about ITW. New corporate headquarters is not in a bad location either.

Cons

Not a company with too many people in their 20's it seems. As a younger person you will not meet too many people your age.

5. Time to clean house

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hebron, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hebron, IL

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works

Pros

Great benefits eight hour shifts most days good people

Cons

Often asked to work last minute overtime not very good on preventative maintenance very very shorthanded of people often like to do more with less no matter what the cost or the sacrifice to the employee is. Very poor raises always find some excuse to use to not get you one

Need to start fresh they have supervisors there that they know were bad but they still keep them around start promoting with in your company and fasting in your people and you're going to start having a great company again

6. Awful place to work. Right next to a funeral home too.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carol Stream, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carol Stream, IL

I worked at Illinois Tool Works

Pros

None what so ever

Cons

The company merged with 2 other companies so everything is chaos, no proper training, no communication, alot of lay offs.... This job wasn't what I expected. Management's expectations are unrealistic for such a small company to manage 3 different companies, I felt that my work load was too much, & I saw departments doing tasks that didn't make sense for them to be doing.

More training for employees instead of just throwing them into the job without formal training or support.

7. It was great when I first started

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Frankfort, IL
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Frankfort, IL

I worked at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good hours, paid vacation,benefits. Management was good when I started years ago. Work was pleasant I enjoyed the work making plastic parts for cars.

Cons

Management has taken a turn for the worse. People who are not qualified getting promotions just because there favorites. Pay could be better also.

8. Fair compensation with an old school attitude

Former Contractor - Information Systems Technician in Glenview, IL
    Former Contractor - Information Systems Technician in Glenview, IL

I worked at Illinois Tool Works as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The company pays fairly well and the majority of employees are happy to work there. Business trips are plentiful depending on your job a company phone and computer is provided.

Cons

The general management practices and styles are a bit old fashioned. ITW has a history of undergoing major changes which end up with significant restructuring and layoffs.

9. great great great, in every way!

Current Employee - Internal Audit in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Internal Audit in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great people, great pay, and great benefits

Cons

there could be too much travel for some people

10. ITW

I worked at Illinois Tool Works

Pros

The pay was acceptable, but you earnt it

Cons

poor management, style was out of the 1960

11. Manager Strategic Sourcing

I worked at Illinois Tool Works full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company. Very profitable. Continuous growth. Bright future. Very strong financially sound company that does a great job growing through acquisition on a global platform.

Cons

Sourcing Dept has no real time data. Company is decentralized. Every company does their own thing that works best for them. Very difficult to central and leverage their spend. Much of the data is estimated including the savings they report to management. They are trying to tie things together, but still have a long way to go.

Either mandate sourcing programs or go back to 100% decentralized procurement.