Illinois Tool Works

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

E. Scott Santi

Pros
  • Great benefits, Challenging projects, Executive management actively involved (in 9 reviews)

• Decentralized business units; standalone companies yet still under the corporate umbrella (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They are going through a major consolidation at the moment, reducing the 800 business units down to 150 or so (in 6 reviews)

• Inablity of Management team(HODs) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Enterprise strategy is destroying day-to-day business

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood benefits. Until the restructuring started, great management team and great colleagues to work with.

If you're a college graduate, great opportunity because you'll get preferential treatment over everyone else--with no accountability.

ConsSince restructuring started, most are uncertain if they will have a job in a month, even upper management. The environment is very untrusting, in fighting between departments and very frustrating to get day-to-day things accomplished because no one will make a decision. Every little thing has to be approved by several people. All authority has been removed from middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, especially the ones who have been around a long time. They've seen things just completely fall apart because every opportunity/opinion is given/taken from a person with no experience in the market or business. Most often they are college graduates who can't "see" the whole picture or think long term. Plus most of them don't truly care about the business, they are just trying to get to their next position.

Marketing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalaries above industry averages. Decent benefits.

ConsSlow to move ahead with opportunities.

Shakeproof division employee for 15+ years

Production (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits are great. "Some" internal growth opportunity. If you're looking to work with historic technology, this is the division.

ConsManagement not responsive to employee suggestion. Disconnected from production floor. Internal growth limited. Upper management seems more intent on creating/finishing "projects" that have minimal impact on production. Looks good on paper, though. No investment in equipment or maintenance.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper mgmt…...talk to the employees, not middle mgrs. They are trying to please you, not build a company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Jump right into the fire, learn a lot on the business

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Proshard workers, tenured workforce, colleagues support each other, stable company, opportunity to learn the business

Constoo slow to change and implement necessary programs to help leadership and employee population, HR and management does not invest or develop talent, does not train management to be effective

Advice to Senior Managementput your egos to the side, allow for workplace flexibility, invest in your talent at all levels

"Culturally rigid turnaround environment."

During Which Reorganization? (Former Employee) Troy, OH

ProsIf there's nothing else available, you can work here until you find something better. They are serious about training, even if not targeted toward your job.

ConsStagnant management. Technologically challenged. Some of the long-time workers have one thing going for them: longevity. Turnover and restructuring are their methods of change-for-growth. Usually don't employ an action plan well, but the reaction plan is always in play.

Advice to Senior ManagementJoin the 21st century.

Overall good employer, great benefits

ProsGreat benefits, Challenging projects, Executive management actively involved

ConsCompensation is moderate, Corporate red tape often block necessary changes at the division level

Advice to Senior ManagementPush to execute and follow through on operational changes that are critical instead of being idle. Often times the same issue is discussed in several meetings but nothing changes.

Many challenging opportunities for self learning.

Factory Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood internal Corporate tools for ongoing improvements to compliment personal growth.

ConsLack of human values and no recognition/appreciation for accomplishments, short sighted in success.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to apply some human values at all levels as investment, and lack of check/balance for upper management at business unit level.

Great opportunity to expand professional horizons with an emphasis on self-actualization.

North American Sales Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsExcellent benefit structure for a Fortune 200 company. Adheres to a program fostering independent judgment and analysis. Extremely interested in continuous training of employees at the managerial level.

ConsVery driven by analyst thinking relative to share price. Does not have a long term mindset in too many cases. The company can have very unrealistic expectations for operating margins in some of their business segments.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster more decision making on long term benefits rather than short term financial considerations. Concentrate more on long term brand development through advertising, particularly in the social media arena.

The company was fantastic, before it restructured...

A Very Technical One (Current Employee)

ProsITW has a decent bonus structure, good benefits and is a good place to get experience. Before the restructuring it, it wasn't a bad place to work. The culture at my business unit was fantastic, but once we restructured it all changed... In my opinion, its not fair to judge ITW as a whole based upon ones experience in one business unit. Ones experience at a business unit could be completely different than another business unit.

ConsIn the division I work, there is some serious miss management. We are horribly under staffed, creating a environment of constant fighting and finger pointing, no one has enough time to finish the work needed for the business to succeed. Upper management at a divisional level seems to be more concerned about what they can do to personally benefit them selves and not what they can do for the company. I feel they are more focused on the size of there office, how they can expense toys and eating expensive meals payed for by the company. There also seems to be a trend of promoting individuals based upon there personal relationship with a vp or gm and not there ability to advance the business. The director of my department has very little experience or skill doing the actual work hes supposed to manage. It doesn't seem as if there is any focus from upper management, thus people have no idea where they should be focused. All these things combined create a very hostile and unpleasant environment. Its a environment of us vs them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat ALL your employees better. Listen to the people who are on the ground level, that's where your business happens. Don't allow your middle management(vp/gms, directors) to run wild. They seem to have no interest in the actual day to day business and how they can improve things. Work on creating a environment where a employee feels comfortable bringing up things that need fixed, they shouldn't be worried about loosing there job if they are trying to fix something. Open a line of communication with your ground level workers to create a check and balance for management.

tax

ProsYou can learn a lot here - more than most places due to th size of the company and types of transactions they are involved in.

ConsLittle or no recognition ...minimal, if any, raises. Lack of promoting from within..Most positions are filled from outside the company. No bonus program for managers and below.

Advice to Senior ManagementIm not sure management will listen. There was an employee survey a few years ago. Management is fully aware of the issues and has taken almost no steps to see that things are better for the minioins...the rich get richer is in full force at ITW.
    Pay attention to what is going on with your staff. Actually, truly care...reward people...give the minions a decent raise for once. Invest in the people you have - the company has a lot to offer, but good people wont stick around for long in this environment.

Worked for Illinois Tool Works? Contribute to the Community!