Illinois Wesleyan Reviews

Reset
4.2
Richard F. Wilson

1. Easy going

Pros

I work at school while having class.

Cons

Takes up free time I could do homework.

Advice to Management

none

2. Decent culture and environment, low pay as expected

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Bloomington, IL

Pros

Work as a TA is fairly easy to do and it won't destroy your work life balance.

Cons

Grading is a pain in the rear, and often times a lot of students only care about grades. Being a TA is a minimum wage job, so don't expect glamour and enough wealth to pay off your student loans, and you won't get a ton of hours either. But that's the sacrifice you make if you're also a student and have other assignments to do.

3. Student Worker

Pros

Good resume building opportunities and staff really looks out for students

Cons

Minimum wage, as most schools

5. Good place to work, if middle aged

Pros

Small collaborative environment, great leadership in the student affairs division.

Cons

Lack of diversity and younger staff/faculty, leadership composed of all white men, except for one woman.

6. Student Grader

I worked at Illinois Wesleyan part-time

Pros

Was able to work my own hours and did not have a difficult time working with individual professors

Cons

Was never able to get the full 10 hours per week given the amount of work, sometimes was given a short time limit for grading

7. Ames Library Circulation Desk Student Assistant

Current Employee - Circulation Desk Assistant, Ames Library in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Circulation Desk Assistant, Ames Library in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Illinois Wesleyan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a great job-mainly shelving books for a bit and siting at the desk checking out/checking in books. Friendly staff and you are even able to do homework when you're not attending to something, which happens more so than not

Cons

None I can think of. Good place to work i must say. Good place to work I must say. Good place to work I must say. God place to work i must say

Advice to Management

They don't need to change things every year, I suppose. Change for the sake of change is not all that necessary and seems like a wasted expense. Things are working fine and don't require such wastes.

8. Student with Work Study Position

Former Employee - Desk Aide in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Desk Aide in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Illinois Wesleyan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as a residential desk aide all four years I was there. Easy application process. I had really nice RCAs and RDs (supervisors) in all the halls I worked in. I was able to get to know so many people who lived in my building or, when I lived and worked in two separate halls, in other halls. Great for my resume.

Cons

There were some issues when I applied my last year--email response on whether I got the job or not, and where I would be working was slower than usual. Other than that, no other cons.

Small team, terrible pay, decent benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Illinois Wesleyan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff receive 20 vacation days a year on top of time off between Christmas and New Years. Unlimited professional development time (if your position has a budget for that). Unlimited sick time, too. It's a pretty small school, so job descriptions are all but worthless; you'll end up working on lots of different things based on your interests.

Cons

The pay is absolutely terrible, and we haven't gotten a raise in something like eight years, so a lot of our best employees are bailing.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to keep people around. Stop plugging the budget hole with attrition; you have to be strategic with your cuts - say, by cutting a whole office or department - rather than making the job bad enough that individuals just decide to leave.

10. Student Worker

Pros

Nice work, nice environment, good students

Cons

Not much to do unless you have researches coming up

11. Good to see if you like Teaching Math

Current Employee - Math TA in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Math TA in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Illinois Wesleyan part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good to see if you like teaching math. Can be relevant experience if you want to be a teacher or go to graduate school.

Cons

IWU isn't as selective as it used to be. Some kids will be too lazy in Calc so you'll have to fail them (please don't let them slip by). There is always one kid who doesn't know say, FOILing or something. Also IWU doesn't have tons of name recognition when you graduate. Which SUCKS. It makes me wonder if I should've gone to U of I. How bad\good TAing is varys greatly on the professor you work under and what class you are teaching. An intermediately hard class is best. The HW is super hard to grade, but not everyone takes it.

Advice to Management

Please stop destroying the academic prestige of IWU. Almost every Alumni who is likely to donate is upset about this. We already have a really bad alumni donor rate.

RSS Feed </> Embed