Illumina

Illumina Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley

Jay Flatley

Pros:
  • "Illumina is a fast-paced and exciting place to work with bleeding edge product development"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Some amazingly dedicated and smart people work at illumina"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "The worst middle management I've ever had in my professional career, the work life balance"
    in 17 reviews
  • "No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Project Manager Intern

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat people and atmosphere. It is a huge company that is really at the forefront of groundbreaking technology. The position was fun with a lot of flexibility and responsibility. Great mentors.

ConsDesk job so there was not a lot of interaction with other employees.

Profoundly Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsSome nice, positive people. Great campus and cafeteria. They are into supporting altruistic causes.

ConsDisorganization, paranoia, and sabotage seem to rule the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating employees, contractors with disrespect.

Don't let the great products fool you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIllumina has cutting edge products and is #1 in every market that it competes in.

ConsIllumina suffers from executives who have not grown with the scale of the company and therefore think they are better managers/leaders than they are. It is much different to manage 100 employees vs. thousands. Execs need to lead by example and inspire others for the demanding work they place on their employees desks. The company is a bit of a country club where the execs reward each other and are very demanding of their employees with little rewards other than the stock price continuing to go up. I remember asking an exec one time if we should benchmark against other companies and their response was "We don't need to benchmark, we're Illumina." Overall I would descrite the culture as stuffy, arrogant with a depressing work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementDouble-down on process and leadership. Hold your executives accountable include getting feedback from their employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ProsGood benefits. Great products. My direct coworkers were nice. Very consistent 9 to 5 kind of job.

ConsDidn't see much growth. Hayward felt like the step-child of the company, always had to prove that we were worthy.

Excellent Learning Experience with Good Pay

Technical Applications Scientist (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent compensation
    Great growth opportunities
    Colleagues are very intelligent and motivated
    A great challenge
    On site gym including group classes
    Decent cafeteria
    Beautiful campus

ConsCan feel like a small fish in a big pond
    focus on improving instrument quality
    Improve customer experience by tailoring products to how our customer use instruments and software. Sometimes it feels like these are not designed with customer in mind

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve customer focus

Innovative Technologies

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Proscan grow fast, plenty of opportunities to learn new technologies

ConsHayward facility is not good compare to San Diego

Advice to Senior Managementexcellent work

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Located in the heart of San Diego Biotech center.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsPay rates are very competitive.
    Near UCSD and many other Biotech companies.
    Currently the leader in gene sequencing.
    Good experience for Biochemists.

ConsCompany is growing too fast for management to mature.
    Cheaper technologies threaten dominance in gene sequencing.
    Not a good place to work if you do not have an advanced degree in biochemistry.
    High churn rate. Best employees ping-pong with Life Technologies (competitor).

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

A bit chaotic but worth a look

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Pros- Beautiful campus
    - Many smart people
    - Continuously trying to improve

Cons- No free snacks!
    - Fast growth has led to patchwork levels of maturity in business processes, policies, capabilities. You have to land in the right group.
    - Fast growth has resulted in many people managing more than their skill set supports.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on hiring the best of the best.

Fast paced and making a difference

Scientist I (Current Employee)
    La Jolla, CA

ProsThe people I work with are amazing. Incredibly supportive and brilliant. One of the reasons I enjoy my work so much is because I really enjoy the group of people I interact with on a daily basis.

ConsMany of the projects appear very under resourced. It appears that it is very hard to advance within the company. Illumina hires outsiders instead of promoting within.

Ever-changing constantly, some cool people, thriving, but needs a little more organization & stability.

Planning (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGood thing they have money to keep expanding. The VP is pretty cool. Endless Summer Concerts with free lunches on some Fridays are nice.

ConsThey seem to struggle a bit with stabilizing processes. Why not hire the experts who really know how to set up infrastructure? Maybe there are experts, but people keep finding bugs. Can't seem to get things done right and some of the people who seem great are really not that great. They cling onto job security, are passive-aggressive, but management doesn't even know or let's it continue.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange for the better is a good thing, but things change so often that it's hard to keep up at times. Also, don't just believe that the core team is that great. Sometimes they are the problem. If someone needs people skills, just push them to take management class or ding them on their performance review.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!

Illumina Videos

Illumina – Why Work for Us?

What we do at Illumina may seem complicated, but our vision is simple. "To advance human health by unlocking the power of the genome." At Illumina, we have developed leading edge products and services through the use… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Illumina reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Illumina CEO Jay Flatley. All 125 reviews posted anonymously by Illumina employees.