Illumina Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
3.8

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley
Jay Flatley

Pros
  • Fast paced, well well-thought our solutions/processes (in 13 reviews)

• You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, challenging to get ahead with all the great people (in 19 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Right choice - will not regret it

Current Employee - Curation Scientist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Curation Scientist in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very supportive and friendly environment. Monthly company meetings to help the employees better understand their role in Illumina's vision of making personalized medicine a routine in the clinics. The managers trust the employees in doing their jobs instead of micromanaging, this helps the employees to give their best. The team is really nice and everyone is always willing to help each other. My manager is also very nice. The HR team is amazing is arranging the interviews and communicating important decisions. Always willing to help.
    Illumina hires the best candidates. The interview process is very rigorous. I applied on the companies website. Few days later I got a phone interview scheduled directly with the hiring manager. A day later I was scheduled for a phone interview with the HR following which they decided me to call onsite.
    Onsite: it was half a day interview including presentation, a written exercise and one-on-one interview with each member of the team.
    I will definitely recommend Illumina to candidates who are willing to challenge themselves with a fast pace and a very satisfying job.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

N/A

Interview Process

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined Illumina due to the promising work environment here. The HR who interviewed me, Nathalie Becker, was able to help me see the great opportunities to improve my career here. She also showed me how illumina was helping to make this work a better place to live in. The contributions illumina was making to improve the life of people was really overwhelming. I believe it is a great privilege to be a part of an organization like Illumina.

Cons

Space constraints, and company is actively working to improve it.

Recent new hire, enviable onboarding process & great company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

From the moment I first made contact with Illumina, I have been greatly impressed with the company's ability to deliver... the hiring process was straightforward and streamlined, the Talent Acquisition team expertly managed and communicated important details from start to finish. This is very much a company of the future, and Illumina seems to doing everything it can to stay in the lead.

Cons

Illumina has enjoyed tremendous success in the past few years and is experiencing rapid growth and transformation as it builds its organization and operations to scale for continued expansion. Things are changing quickly and deeply, this is probably not the best place for those seeking permanence. But for the rest of us, thougm this is an exciting place to be at the moment.

iAspire Intern Program - QA Intern

Former Employee - QA Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - QA Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at Illumina is incredible. Everyone I met during my three months with the company is incredibly driven and intelligent and very willing to lend a hand and teach you about what they do. As an intern, you will have a major project, but otherwise you can enjoy all the perks the full-time employees get, like gym access and fitness classes (highly recommended; nothing beats coming back to work cleansed after a yoga class!). But the intern program provides even more; different workshops, strengths finder, the ability to meet and talk with senior leaders at Illumina, and otherwise quite a bit of exposure. I had the opportunity to present to the VP of my division, as did my friend in marketing. Illumina cares deeply about it's interns, and it really is an incredibly valuable experience. And outside the internship program, the company is very unique. I'm hoping to get hired after I finish gradate school because Illumina is such a open, innovative, and creative company, and I truly believe the next-gen technology is the future of personalized medicine.

Cons

As an intern, particularly at the beginning, I was very overwhelmed. Everyone works very hard at Illumina, so prepare to do so as well. The learning curve is pretty steep, particularly if you are not very familiar with next-gen sequencing or the operations of the department you will be working for. I was very new to QA, so the first weeks were very tough, but with some persistence, you get a feeling for it. Another con is that during the summer, a lot of full-timers go on vacations, so a lot of your coworkers may be in and out, which can be frustrating.

Great work environment

I worked at Illumina full-time

Pros

Team work oriented and really strives for personal career growth.

Cons

takes a while to convert temporary employees to full time

A Company of Contradictions

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, SW tries to maintain somewhat of a relaxed, fun startup culture. Lots of opportunity to learn new skills and build resume. More PTO for first year employees than anyplace I know of, good stock benefits.

Cons

Low salary for industry, chronically understaffed projects, and the expectation that exempt employees work frequent OT to makeup for understaffing. Promotion based on personality contributes to inexperinced/immature SW middle management. SW test department lacks experience/understanding of test documentation. A systemic problem due to relience on science graduates over professionals with solid understanding of what creates quality.

Train existing testers to understand what quality documentation and testing entails. Staff projects adequately or risk continuing talent drain. Don't mistake education for experience, or growth will be exceedingly more painful than necessary.

Innovation and progress on the forefront of genomics

Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Illumina values innovation and progress greatly. The work environment is quite dynamic and allows for growth of the individual. It is the frontier in a fast-growing industry.

Cons

Depending on what team/part of the company you are in, you might have to deal with some internal politics, but then again that is the case almost everywhere.

Changes Science and Medicine

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Illumina offers the ability to be part of a company that is truely changing the was people will be treated with life threatening diseases from personized medicine and therapy to early diagnosis. Also, the culture here is very collaborative and offers opportunities in all different areas as the company continues to grow and expand into new markets such as Oncology, Software, Reproductive Health, Life Sciences, etc. This is company for people that like change....that like a challenge....that like to learn!!

Cons

As the company continues to grow and expand, we are constantly looking at ways to more efficiently scale. This sometimes forces us to be reactive vs proactive.

Keep hiring great people and diversifying who we hire.

Great

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Illumina is a good company to work for. The work is fast paced and engaging. Good benefits and nice campus, and smart coworkers.

Cons

The work here can move really quickly which makes prioritization very important, and understanding that you can't get everything done all the time.

Back-breaking and Soul-crushing

Former Employee - Just Another Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Just Another Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They actually paid pretty well. I was even told once that there was some concern that I might have been getting paid too much. Lot's of pretty, young folks.

Cons

Back-breaking work. Unrealistic expectations. No real chance to forge any lasting relationships. Horrible communication. Horrible HR. Projects are *extremely* well-guarded. Preference is definitely given to the younger, more attractive women. Expect to deal with a senior management staff more concerned about popularity, politics, and extra-curricular relationships than with actual production.

Don't terminate someone the very next day (without any written reason) when they bring up possible non-compliance with FDA regulations.