Illumina

Updated December 20, 2014
4.0

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley
Jay Flatley

Pros
  • Fast paced, well well-thought our solutions/processes (in 15 reviews)

• You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, challenging to get ahead with all the great people (in 19 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic high growth company

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Illumina is experiencing tremendous growth. Coworkers are very supportive and flexible. There is a sincere interest to change the world of medicine. The campus is beautiful and there is a lot of energy around the campus.

Cons

No issues or challenges to report. The company is solid overall. They just need watch after their culture and retain talent.

Keep moving forward and as you grow resist the desire to become a slow large machine. Maintain the great culture and values you have. Remain independent and invest in innovation

Good work-life balance but limited upward mobility

Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist II in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist II in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Upper management listen to complaints and act
    Good benefits and employee services
    Almost all employees have 9-5 schedule

Cons

More than average internal politics
    Upward mobility limited so no incentive to work harder
    Big and slightly disorganized, particularly due to absorbing recent acquisitions

Great IAspire internship experience

Current Employee - Process Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

IAspire internship experience gives me a good opportunity to look inside the company, know illumina's culture and pruducts, work with many smart people. The program have a few activities such as talking with senior leader, strength finder, Mock interview, outreach activity which are all well designed for us. I highly recommend the IAspire internship program.

Cons

Not a con, but a hard thing is the pace here is really really fast. Every one is very busy every day, you need to have a good adaptbility skill as well as good communication and team working skill to "survive" at illumina, which is a "beneficial challenge" to students.

Recent new hire, enviable onboarding process & great company culture

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

From the moment I first made contact with Illumina, I have been greatly impressed with the company's ability to deliver... the hiring process was straightforward and streamlined, the Talent Acquisition team expertly managed and communicated important details from start to finish. This is very much a company of the future, and Illumina seems to doing everything it can to stay in the lead.

Cons

Illumina has enjoyed tremendous success in the past few years and is experiencing rapid growth and transformation as it builds its organization and operations to scale for continued expansion. Things are changing quickly and deeply, this is probably not the best place for those seeking permanence. But for the rest of us, thougm this is an exciting place to be at the moment.

iAspire Intern 2014

I worked at Illumina as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Illumina is an excellent company with a genuine drive to be on the forefront of clinical genomics. My internship program was an immensely useful and productive learning experience. The teams work fast-paced, interns and full time employees both work closely together and receive immediate feedback. The HR team is extremely friendly, easily approachable and as new interns, I was systematically reviewed for feedback during each step of our internship program. The highlight of the iAspire Program is the highly supportive HR team which organized multiple career-development related workshops that were relevant and highly useful. I greatly enjoyed this first industry experience and would gladly recommend this internship program and Illumina for all future employees.

Cons

It will be great to have more opportunities to meet senior leaders in your departments. We usually worked closely with/amongst our own teams, with minimal interaction with heads/members of other teams.

Great Company with Great People, a place where you want to be!!

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Illumina is a great company to work for. Very innovative and fast paced environment, one can feel the energy in the environment as soon you enter the facility. It is fast paced and relaxed at the same time. One can find people sitting outside and working while enjoying the great campus. Illumina hires very highly educated smart people, nowhere in one place I have seen so many Phds people working together at the same time. Company has a great vision and wants to make a difference in the field of personal medicine which is such a noble field to work in.

Employees are very motivated to do their best and they get rewarded too for their hard work. It’s not just work and work, people also get time to participate in sports and other activities on the campus itself. Company has a really great campus it feels like a university with amazing facilities. Illumina really cares about the employees and has very transparent and open working culture. Every month they conduct meetings business unit wise to share progress towards goals. It help the employees better understand their role in Illumina's vision. HR people are also very supportive and always willing to help. After my joining I had lot of questions as I was new to many of the new benefits, the HR and Benefits people were very helpful and always had time and patience to answer my each any eveery questions, really appreciated that a lot. They not only conduct employee surveys but also share the results with employees!! I have never ever seen that in any other company.

Company also has a very good infrastructure you submit the request and you get what you need to get your job done. They believe in work hard and party hard philosophy. My team is really nice and everyone is always willing to help each other. My manager is very sharp and techy. Always guides and motivates us to do things in a better way and despite his busy schedule he finds time to talk with each of us and work with us on regular basis. He is very understanding and supportive too. Right after joining my son was born and needed to be away from office he supported me immensely it was indeed a great help at the time. He believes in getting work done instead of micromanagement, it helps a lot. It has been a great opportunity to be at Illumina and be part of the latest innovations going on in the field of Genome Sequencing while working with the latest cutting edge technologies.

The interview process is very rigorous and thorough so prepare well. I applied on the company’s website after seeing the ad on LinkedIn. Few days later I got a phone interview scheduled directly with the hiring manager. After a week later I was scheduled for a phone interview with the HR following which they decided me to call onsite.
    Onsite interview was half a day interview including a coding test on the system at the end. During one on one interview with team member as well be prepared for writing pseudo code on the white board. It is also worthwhile mentioning that Illumina is generous enough to offer breakfast, lunch and even travel cost to attend the interview. Though I didn't use it as I live in San Diego itself. But before even I attended the interview I had a very positive outlook towards the company that how much they care about even the candidate, sometime small gestures goes a long way.

I will definitely recommend Illumina to anyone who wants to learn, grow and challenge themselves and be part of something so big.

Cons

Nothing really to add so far everything have been positive.

Keep up the tempo and we shall achieve great success. One small comment I have noticed new processes being implemented. Processes are good but management needs to keep these processes also so that there are not too many and lengthy processes as they can become a bottleneck. I have seen this happening in many big companies.

iAspire Intern Program - QA Intern

Former Employee - QA Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - QA Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at Illumina is incredible. Everyone I met during my three months with the company is incredibly driven and intelligent and very willing to lend a hand and teach you about what they do. As an intern, you will have a major project, but otherwise you can enjoy all the perks the full-time employees get, like gym access and fitness classes (highly recommended; nothing beats coming back to work cleansed after a yoga class!). But the intern program provides even more; different workshops, strengths finder, the ability to meet and talk with senior leaders at Illumina, and otherwise quite a bit of exposure. I had the opportunity to present to the VP of my division, as did my friend in marketing. Illumina cares deeply about it's interns, and it really is an incredibly valuable experience. And outside the internship program, the company is very unique. I'm hoping to get hired after I finish gradate school because Illumina is such a open, innovative, and creative company, and I truly believe the next-gen technology is the future of personalized medicine.

Cons

As an intern, particularly at the beginning, I was very overwhelmed. Everyone works very hard at Illumina, so prepare to do so as well. The learning curve is pretty steep, particularly if you are not very familiar with next-gen sequencing or the operations of the department you will be working for. I was very new to QA, so the first weeks were very tough, but with some persistence, you get a feeling for it. Another con is that during the summer, a lot of full-timers go on vacations, so a lot of your coworkers may be in and out, which can be frustrating.

Right choice - will not regret it

Current Employee - Curation Scientist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Curation Scientist in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very supportive and friendly environment. Monthly company meetings to help the employees better understand their role in Illumina's vision of making personalized medicine a routine in the clinics. The managers trust the employees in doing their jobs instead of micromanaging, this helps the employees to give their best. The team is really nice and everyone is always willing to help each other. My manager is also very nice. The HR team is amazing is arranging the interviews and communicating important decisions. Always willing to help.
    Illumina hires the best candidates. The interview process is very rigorous. I applied on the companies website. Few days later I got a phone interview scheduled directly with the hiring manager. A day later I was scheduled for a phone interview with the HR following which they decided me to call onsite.
    Onsite: it was half a day interview including presentation, a written exercise and one-on-one interview with each member of the team.
    I will definitely recommend Illumina to candidates who are willing to challenge themselves with a fast pace and a very satisfying job.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

N/A

Interview Process

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined Illumina due to the promising work environment here. The HR who interviewed me, Nathalie Becker, was able to help me see the great opportunities to improve my career here. She also showed me how illumina was helping to make this work a better place to live in. The contributions illumina was making to improve the life of people was really overwhelming. I believe it is a great privilege to be a part of an organization like Illumina.

Cons

Space constraints, and company is actively working to improve it.

Great work environment

I worked at Illumina full-time

Pros

Team work oriented and really strives for personal career growth.

Cons

takes a while to convert temporary employees to full time