Illumina Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
3.9

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley
Jay Flatley

Pros
  • You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 11 reviews)

• cutting-edge research organisation, very nice work culture with decent socialising events for employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The worst middle management I've ever had in my professional career, the work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Illumina is a good company to work for. The work is fast paced and engaging. Good benefits and nice campus, and smart coworkers.

Cons

The work here can move really quickly which makes prioritization very important, and understanding that you can't get everything done all the time.

Changes Science and Medicine

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Illumina offers the ability to be part of a company that is truely changing the was people will be treated with life threatening diseases from personized medicine and therapy to early diagnosis. Also, the culture here is very collaborative and offers opportunities in all different areas as the company continues to grow and expand into new markets such as Oncology, Software, Reproductive Health, Life Sciences, etc. This is company for people that like change....that like a challenge....that like to learn!!

Cons

As the company continues to grow and expand, we are constantly looking at ways to more efficiently scale. This sometimes forces us to be reactive vs proactive.

Keep hiring great people and diversifying who we hire.

Totally satisfied with my work at Illumina

I have been working at Illumina as an intern for less than a year

Pros

liked the work, culture, wide range of opportunities

Cons

I don't see any cons so far.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazingly innovative company - great place to be!

I worked at Illumina

Pros

Smart people, important products, great campus

Cons

No work/life balance, challenging to get ahead with all the great people

Everybody was really passionate about what they did and I loved it!

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Flexible times, good people, nice campus.

Cons

Contractors don't get a lot of the benefits (like using the gym...)

It doesn't get better than this--- great company, great products, great people!

Current Employee - Director  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wow- where to begin..... this is an amazing company- filled with dedicated and genuine people. My colleagues are here because we are changing healthcare in our lifetime. Coworkers are earnest, driven and real. Very low ego company.....it's not about the politics, it's about the people whose lives are changed using our technology.

I've been at Illumina for three years- yes, it has a few growing pains. All companies do. The difference is that management here genuinely cares and tries to remedy pain points.

How many companies do you know that take time out for a competitive dodgeball tournament, concerts in the amphitheater, the occasional happy hour, and gives employees a paid week off before July 4th (in addition to the paid company shutdown in December).

Yes we work hard- but we are doing really important work....and I know that the work done will at some point, change the course of a family member's illness or treatment in the future. No complaints from me.

Cons

None- beautiful campus, competitive pay and beneftis, challenging but rewarding work.

Keep it up!

Great work environment with incredible people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture at Illumina is one of a kind. The company really embraces core values such as innovation and collaboration, allowing them to be extremely agile and move quickly to position themselves as leaders in the market.

This creates an energetic and motivated environment. There are high performance expectations, but with that comes the reward of working in such a positive, exciting atmosphere with INCREDIBLE people.

The leadership additionally, does a great job at recognizing and rewarding employee contribution- both at the management and senior leadership level.

Cons

With extreme growth definitely comes challenge- the organization moves VERY quickly and sets high performance expectations. People who don't thrive in a high-change, fast-paced environment will likely not enjoy it.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Innovative, Smart, Driven and Passionate. What more could you ask for?

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are passionate about what you do, hard working, like to be challenged, and aren't intimidated by working with a bunch of people smarter than you, then you will likely love working at Illumina. The consistent growth at Illumina provides tremendous learning and opportunities for growth. In addition, sr. management really listens to their employee and customer feedback and implements real programs to address concerns.

Cons

Illumina is not for everyone. It is predominantly Type A, driven personalities that typically thrive in a start-up, low structure, high-paced environment. The sense of urgency is always high, and so are the demands on high quality work. This permeates the culture so if this doesn't describe your personality, you are probably better elsewhere. Other than match, the other challenge is that Illumina is no longer a start-up, and now must prove it can succeed as a larger organization with more complexity, increased processes, etc. This will not be an easy process, and some may not be up for the challenge.

Keep up the great work, stay close to the business, and keep listening.

Company that is changing the world and lets you keep your personal life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very open environment, upper management is approachable and friendly
    - Lots of opportunities to stay physically and mentally fit while at work (pickup soccer games at lunch, mindfulness class, organization sports tournaments)
    - Great pay and stock options are very lucrative as the company continues to grow
    - Company is making a major difference in how healthcare will evolve over the next decade, it feels great to be a part of a company that is truly changing the world

Cons

- Many business process are still in start up mode and need to mature (this is being addressed by an internal program, but progress is slow)
    - Some expectation of constant availability

Have a larger vision of where we are taking our information systems and how we can utilize this amazing data we have

Great team dynamic and company culture!

I have been working at Illumina as an intern

Pros

Illumina's open and collaborative culture makes work enjoyable. I can see huge strides in promoting work life balance and more structure. Overall just a great experience and the company just keeps on growing!

Cons

The fast growth needs to be paralleled with established process and structure.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!