Illumina

Updated March 1, 2015
4.0

Illumina CEO Jay Flatley
Jay Flatley

Pros
  • Fast paced, well well-thought our solutions/processes (in 15 reviews)

• You get to work with a lot of smart people, and the amenities of the new campus are great (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, challenging to get ahead with all the great people (in 19 reviews)

• No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

An invigorating, fast-paced and challenging place to work. Things change quickly here so you have to embrace that!

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very bright and motivational people to work with. There's always new opportunities to gain new experiences.

Cons

Things change quickly and this can be frustrating when you're in an area that is under-resourced or unorganized. You have to keep focused on the higher level mission that causes lower level discomfort.

Keep up with investing in the Operations. Marketing/Sales may be driving faster than we can keep up with.

Great company producing great products

Current Employee - Scientist I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Very smart and driven employees. Great senior leadership

Cons

Long hours and poor work life balance

Fix it before its too late

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Cutting edge, great products, niche market

Cons

too much politics, seems everyone is conspiring or watching out to get the bite of the big meat...the office culture is degrading...managers are looking out for themselves and not their teams..finger pointing, scheming.....

Please fix the culture before its too late. Senior Management...Director and above to need to get 360 degree review of the managers from the subordinates....good workers are leaving or feel oppressed....

good company to work for

Former Employee - Product Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great co-workers, exciting technologies, great culture

Cons

controlling management, few decision-making opportunities at middle management level, decision making limited to top 10-15 people in the company.

Advice to CEO: you are great and people admire you, but your senior leadership team are just looking out for themselves

Great company, excellent co-workers meet low wages and very limited upward mobility

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Company is on top of it's field with exciting projects where there is much to learn and it's rewarding to apply yourself. Modern workplace and good benefits. Smart people in different areas of expertise.
    When the company makes a lot of money, employees are sometimes rewarded with extended time off. Although there is a lot of work, the work/life balance is fine.

Cons

For non-managers, wages are kept low. There is very limited promotion within the ranks due to large number of people occupying all areas of work and continuous hiring at the Senior level. It takes YEARS to move up just a step. While management claims that there is opportunity to grow, it's not the case.
    For those that are promoted, very often it's just in title (and salary) without real changes to responsibilities. People can be stuck doing the same work for YEARS.

Management needs to promote within the ranks and allow employees to grow. This will become a serious problem in the next couple of years.

On the rise!

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

30% Growth Year over Year

Cons

Growing corporate-like culture at Illumina

Fast paced, not for the weak

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

You are working on cutting edge technology, advancing human knowledge and improving our lives.
    The managers expect a lot from you, because they can afford to. You get to meet interesting people in lots of influential positions.

Cons

Super fast paced. Keep up or move on. This company has their pick of employees and can easily replace you.
    We are now moving in the medical field, 24 hour support is coming, so expect to work weekends and long nights on occasion.

You used to keep us fully manned, with plenty of people to support the products. Now you are starting to really pinch pennies and looking very hard at utilization/mean time to repair/ etc. and much less at customer satisfaction.

Fantastic high growth company

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Illumina is experiencing tremendous growth. Coworkers are very supportive and flexible. There is a sincere interest to change the world of medicine. The campus is beautiful and there is a lot of energy around the campus.

Cons

No issues or challenges to report. The company is solid overall. They just need watch after their culture and retain talent.

Keep moving forward and as you grow resist the desire to become a slow large machine. Maintain the great culture and values you have. Remain independent and invest in innovation

IA - no one is driving the bus

I worked at Illumina full-time

Pros

It is a lovely facility. During the interview I found it refreshing that they were more concerned with practical skills and experience. This is a big change from the majority of companies that are more concerned with degrees and licenses that would have been obtained decades ago even though they are asking for an "experienced" employee. Yes, I have a Master's Degree in the field, but not the trendy license!.

Cons

I was interviewed by the 4 people in the IA department, but only worked for one and she had absolute control over what was done to me. This includes firing me for completing a project that when she gave it to me she openly stated she did not know how to do it or where to get the information. There was not any recourse or even any warning I was about to be fired. No one looked at what she did. She was just allowed to act as a spoiled child.

I was under a woman who was in over her head. I was hired as a contractor to take some of the workload off her. I have extensive experience in this area so it did not seem to be a problem to me. It soon became clear she did not understand her job and was going to lash out at anyone who was a threat to her, i.e. know how to do the job. She got to the point where she spent many late night hours (seen on the emails) finding completely ridiculous, petty things for me to change on my work. I made the changes for her without saying a word.

Upon completion I offered to walk her through the project she had told me she did not know how to do. Since it was complex and contained a lot of information it is not easy for anyone to follow. She immediately accused me of insufficient documentation and refused to listen to anything I had to say. In 2 days I had 5 different versions of the spreadsheet from her. She was not even looking at the most recent version I had which was available to her at any time. Clearly she was more interested in picking at it.

Since she refused to accept that I knew anything, she got the person who did the project last year to review mine. She kept insisting last year was "easy" to understand and very consistent so I should just do it like it was done last year. On several occasions I tried to explain to her why this did not work. She was unable to discuss any of it. They, my supervisor and the person who did the project last year, decided to limit me to certain screen shots on the software because they did not know what many of mine were and did not bother to ask or read the explanations/documentation. When they decided to gang up on me for 2+ hours to "show me how to do it", the numbers did not work in the formula they required me to use! We all sat there and saw it. I was then told to use an alternate method and just explain to the auditors what I did when the formula did not fit the back up. Clearly their numbers and "consistent/easy to understand" system did not work. I was about to find out I was going to be held responsible for last year's work being less than consistant.

I went in the next day and began to work on other samples of this test. I believed I had found a way to give her something she could understand as well as make the numbers work as I needed them to do with the formula they required me to use. I will not give numbers that do not work. If the incorrect numbers/documentation were discovered I would clearly and rightfully be responsible for unacceptable work. She did not speak to me the next day. How childish can you be? I worked all day coming up with the new system and combining all the spreadsheet versions she had created. Sat, the next day I received a call from the recruiter saying they claimed I could not take constructive criticism and was fired. No one in the dept. did anything. It seems she was not required to ask anyone before firing me and/or no one thought it reasonable to ask me what was happening or look at my work. Why interview me when you are going to let her be the immature and incompetent person she is and take it out on whoever you all hired? Clearly maturity and competence are not required for a position in this company.

Good work-life balance but limited upward mobility

Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist II in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist II in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Upper management listen to complaints and act
    Good benefits and employee services
    Almost all employees have 9-5 schedule

Cons

More than average internal politics
    Upward mobility limited so no incentive to work harder
    Big and slightly disorganized, particularly due to absorbing recent acquisitions