Illumina Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
172 reviews filtered by

Wrong company to work for if you are from a ERP background.

Current Employee - Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No pros except for brand name.

Cons

Egoistic bosses. Employees are not valued. They are looked down as just bodies who work for brand. Worst part is that switch from this company becomes impossible because of its location

Value employees. People dont stick to company just for brand name

Fix it before its too late

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Cutting edge, great products, niche market

Cons

too much politics, seems everyone is conspiring or watching out to get the bite of the big meat...the office culture is degrading...managers are looking out for themselves and not their teams..finger pointing, scheming.....

Please fix the culture before its too late. Senior Management...Director and above to need to get 360 degree review of the managers from the subordinates....good workers are leaving or feel oppressed....

Great company, excellent co-workers meet low wages and very limited upward mobility

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Company is on top of it's field with exciting projects where there is much to learn and it's rewarding to apply yourself. Modern workplace and good benefits. Smart people in different areas of expertise.
    When the company makes a lot of money, employees are sometimes rewarded with extended time off. Although there is a lot of work, the work/life balance is fine.

Cons

For non-managers, wages are kept low. There is very limited promotion within the ranks due to large number of people occupying all areas of work and continuous hiring at the Senior level. It takes YEARS to move up just a step. While management claims that there is opportunity to grow, it's not the case.
    For those that are promoted, very often it's just in title (and salary) without real changes to responsibilities. People can be stuck doing the same work for YEARS.

Management needs to promote within the ranks and allow employees to grow. This will become a serious problem in the next couple of years.

5. On the rise!

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

30% Growth Year over Year

Cons

Growing corporate-like culture at Illumina

Fast paced, not for the weak

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

You are working on cutting edge technology, advancing human knowledge and improving our lives.
    The managers expect a lot from you, because they can afford to. You get to meet interesting people in lots of influential positions.

Cons

Super fast paced. Keep up or move on. This company has their pick of employees and can easily replace you.
    We are now moving in the medical field, 24 hour support is coming, so expect to work weekends and long nights on occasion.

You used to keep us fully manned, with plenty of people to support the products. Now you are starting to really pinch pennies and looking very hard at utilization/mean time to repair/ etc. and much less at customer satisfaction.

Fantastic high growth company

I have been working at Illumina full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Illumina is experiencing tremendous growth. Coworkers are very supportive and flexible. There is a sincere interest to change the world of medicine. The campus is beautiful and there is a lot of energy around the campus.

Cons

No issues or challenges to report. The company is solid overall. They just need watch after their culture and retain talent.

Keep moving forward and as you grow resist the desire to become a slow large machine. Maintain the great culture and values you have. Remain independent and invest in innovation

Good work-life balance but limited upward mobility

Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist II in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Bioinformatics Scientist II in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Upper management listen to complaints and act
    Good benefits and employee services
    Almost all employees have 9-5 schedule

Cons

More than average internal politics
    Upward mobility limited so no incentive to work harder
    Big and slightly disorganized, particularly due to absorbing recent acquisitions

Great IAspire internship experience

Current Employee - Process Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than a year)

Pros

IAspire internship experience gives me a good opportunity to look inside the company, know illumina's culture and pruducts, work with many smart people. The program have a few activities such as talking with senior leader, strength finder, Mock interview, outreach activity which are all well designed for us. I highly recommend the IAspire internship program.

Cons

Not a con, but a hard thing is the pace here is really really fast. Every one is very busy every day, you need to have a good adaptbility skill as well as good communication and team working skill to "survive" at illumina, which is a "beneficial challenge" to students.

Great Company with Great People, a place where you want to be!!

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Illumina is a great company to work for. Very innovative and fast paced environment, one can feel the energy in the environment as soon you enter the facility. It is fast paced and relaxed at the same time. One can find people sitting outside and working while enjoying the great campus. Illumina hires very highly educated smart people, nowhere in one place I have seen so many Phds people working together at the same time. Company has a great vision and wants to make a difference in the field of personal medicine which is such a noble field to work in.

Employees are very motivated to do their best and they get rewarded too for their hard work. It’s not just work and work, people also get time to participate in sports and other activities on the campus itself. Company has a really great campus it feels like a university with amazing facilities. Illumina really cares about the employees and has very transparent and open working culture. Every month they conduct meetings business unit wise to share progress towards goals. It help the employees better understand their role in Illumina's vision. HR people are also very supportive and always willing to help. After my joining I had lot of questions as I was new to many of the new benefits, the HR and Benefits people were very helpful and always had time and patience to answer my each any eveery questions, really appreciated that a lot. They not only conduct employee surveys but also share the results with employees!! I have never ever seen that in any other company.

Company also has a very good infrastructure you submit the request and you get what you need to get your job done. They believe in work hard and party hard philosophy. My team is really nice and everyone is always willing to help each other. My manager is very sharp and techy. Always guides and motivates us to do things in a better way and despite his busy schedule he finds time to talk with each of us and work with us on regular basis. He is very understanding and supportive too. Right after joining my son was born and needed to be away from office he supported me immensely it was indeed a great help at the time. He believes in getting work done instead of micromanagement, it helps a lot. It has been a great opportunity to be at Illumina and be part of the latest innovations going on in the field of Genome Sequencing while working with the latest cutting edge technologies.

The interview process is very rigorous and thorough so prepare well. I applied on the company’s website after seeing the ad on LinkedIn. Few days later I got a phone interview scheduled directly with the hiring manager. After a week later I was scheduled for a phone interview with the HR following which they decided me to call onsite.
    Onsite interview was half a day interview including a coding test on the system at the end. During one on one interview with team member as well be prepared for writing pseudo code on the white board. It is also worthwhile mentioning that Illumina is generous enough to offer breakfast, lunch and even travel cost to attend the interview. Though I didn't use it as I live in San Diego itself. But before even I attended the interview I had a very positive outlook towards the company that how much they care about even the candidate, sometime small gestures goes a long way.

I will definitely recommend Illumina to anyone who wants to learn, grow and challenge themselves and be part of something so big.

Cons

Nothing really to add so far everything have been positive.

Keep up the tempo and we shall achieve great success. One small comment I have noticed new processes being implemented. Processes are good but management needs to keep these processes also so that there are not too many and lengthy processes as they can become a bottleneck. I have seen this happening in many big companies.

Recent new hire, enviable onboarding process & great company culture

I have been working at Illumina full-time (less than a year)

Pros

From the moment I first made contact with Illumina, I have been greatly impressed with the company's ability to deliver... the hiring process was straightforward and streamlined, the Talent Acquisition team expertly managed and communicated important details from start to finish. This is very much a company of the future, and Illumina seems to doing everything it can to stay in the lead.

Cons

Illumina has enjoyed tremendous success in the past few years and is experiencing rapid growth and transformation as it builds its organization and operations to scale for continued expansion. Things are changing quickly and deeply, this is probably not the best place for those seeking permanence. But for the rest of us, thougm this is an exciting place to be at the moment.