Illumina Reviews

Reset

Project Managers beware

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Growing industry, hiring loads of employees, fabulous building and campus with cafeteria and gym, great benefits

Cons

Poor office politics with lots of gossip, very cliquish environment among employees who have worked there for years and do not accept new employees or new management processes. The Marketing dept actively rejects project management processes. I keep hearing the phrase "that's not how we do things here." It's a shame such an innovative company is so short-sided to corporate management processes.

Advice to Management

Don't promote emotionally unstable people to management.

2. Illumina treated me fairly, and in addition to learning a lot, I had many positive experiences with my colleagues.

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Illumina is the leader in its industry, and is keenly aware of, and responds to, competitive threats.

Cons

Unless you are in the San Diego office, you are effectively a "second-class citizen". Communication to other offices is poor.

Advice to Management

Don't pay lip-service to developing the management skills of employees who are managers - actually do it, and take it very, very seriously. It would dramatically reduce turnover. While turnover is not great, it could be much lower.

Fading Into Mediocrity

Former Employee - Various in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Various in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Illumina is a fast-paced and exciting place to work with bleeding edge product development. There are a lot of great people still working there which can help make it a fun environment.

Cons

Illumina has lost quite a bit of what made it special in their growth from a little start up to a dominant genomics company. They hire very good people, but then management doesn't trust them to make their own decisions. Top level management is still trying to tightly control everything. The transition to a diagnostics company, while important, is not really going anywhere. It likely won't until they make a radical move (ie, buying a diagnostics company or getting bought by a diagnostics company).

Advice to Management

Trust the people you've hired. Establish a path for career development and give the middle managers more authority to go along with their responsibility.

Illumina Inc. Review

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Diagnostics Instrument Manufacturing in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, motivated and hard working employees, great people on a personal level

Cons

Same management team since early in the companys growth. Transitioning from start-up to small company to medium sized company with same management team has been challenging since they started as a Life Sciences company and are currently transitioning to add diagnostics and medical devices which are regulated by the FDA. Management often "doesn't know what they don't know". Without former experience with the FDA, sometimes management has overreacted to minor observations and not reacted enough to the need for more robust quality system needs. They are getting better but it has been more painful than it should have been.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who have former experience with the FDA and other regulatory agencies. It may not seem needed initially, but will pay itself back ten fold if 483 observations are minimized and product recalls are prevented.

An intense ride that will keep you on your toes during your tenure,

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Disclose in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Disclose in La Jolla, CA

Pros

Although the benefits and perks at Illumina are amazing it's the the employees at Illumina that keeps the company strong. The yoga/gym/recreation on site and the monthly happy hours / half yearly sponsored corporate parties allow us to network with so many individuals from various pars of the company. Illumina does know how to care of its own. The salary is pretty competitive with stock options, bonus, raise, etc. You learn a lot of valuable skills at Illumina in such a small amount of time. They expect you to hit the ground running. 1 or 2 years at Illumina is the equivalent of 3-5 years at a regular company.

Cons

When I came on board with Illumina, I was hired specifically more certain skill sets. I have seen myself and others included have their positions radically evolve into something completely different. Regardless of whether or not you are satisfied with the change. Projects and priorities could shift instantly, leaving things a bit chaotic at the office. Illumina's core values don't seem to align with your personal goals and end of year review, which tends to lower your raise/bonus. Whether this is on purpose or not I leave that to the employee. There seemed to be a disconnect in communication and goals between upper/middle management and rest of the teams. Advancement and movement across the organization was difficult and hard get approval of for some employees. No structure was in place to show you a path to becoming a senior person on the team or move into a manager or assistant director role. Although Illumina does hire outstanding employees, there seemed to be a lack of basic MS skill sets or analytics for some of the employe thereby having no understanding of their data the to create presentations critical for senior management on how their business line is doing. Turnover is quite high. The burnout and level that you are running at Illumina can be exciting but also stressful.

Advice to Management

Structured and concise path for growing and advancing to the next level at our position. Find a way to keep top talented employees from turning over after several years. Turnover is quite high.

Good place to work, however lack of communication between management and employees hurts.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good People and work environment. Fast Paced and Challenging. The compensation seems right for the positions being held (if negotiated well)

Cons

Lack of communication between the management and employees about the exact direction of the company. Plenty of broad spectrum directional communication that isn't really clear. Plenty of lateral movement, very little upward movement. Very little recognition and very high demand on employees. Seem to be drawn into work even during "off" days.

Advice to Management

Some major changes need to happen, especially in the mid/lower management. Sometimes you need to step back before going forward.

Market Lead, but Overvalued

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good job security as the company is intentionally understaffed to increase margins. Compensation still a bit above market, but weighted towards equity

Cons

Stock price has little upside Sequencing is becoming more commoditized and Illumina relies on high margins which will likely dwindle over time Poor work-life balance A tremendous lack of leadership below CEO level, still acts like a $100M revenue company

Good people, questionable job satisfaction

Current Employee - Technician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in San Diego, CA

Pros

Flexible Hours (you can come in whenever you want as long as you get 40-50 hrs a week) As many overtime hours as you can stand to do Genuinely good hearted, down to earth people who work here Diverse employee group (both racially and age-wise) Good in-house cafe Higher-ups with occasionally buy us lunch

Cons

3/4 of the workforce are "temps," which allows the company to hire us for 40-50 hours a week without benefits, so no paid time off, no vacation, no sick days Typical corporate culture (i.e. culture-less workplace) Production process an environmental disaster (tons of trash with minimal recycling program) Job involves starting at a computer screen about 90% of the time Job nature is pretty boring - assembly line type atmosphere with 0 creativity involved Mostly a solo job - you work in solitude most of the time Poor gender ratio is bad for everyone! (10 to 1 guy to girl ratio in my department)

Advice to Management

Stop treating your manufacturing floor employees like unimportant temp workers! We work our asses off to make the machines which make you millions of dollars, you could at least hire us on with benfits! The "economic downturn" is no excuse for unethical hiring and unfair compensation. Allow us to choose our own vacation time - don't ask us to work the weekend to "make the numbers," and then force us to take off a full week for christmas when we dont get paid for it! I dont even celebrate christmas!

All decisions are made by the top management, the rest are robots trained to obey.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Hayward, CA

Pros

Work on cool bio tech equipment

Cons

Promotions based on favoritism. Idiot managers in high positions.

Advice to Management

Loosen the controls.

Not a bad place to work, but needs improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

You will work with energetic, friendly and very, very smart people. You will market products that are advancing scientific research in amazing ways. You will be empowered and supported should you wish to learn more about your trade.

Cons

Very hectic work atmosphere where working long hours are necessary, with not a lot of down time in between projects. Not a lot of opportunity for upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Provide clear paths for the smart people you hire to advance in their career. Hire more staff to support the workload so the dedicated workers you hire do not get burned out.

RSS Feed </> Embed