ImageTrend

Mike McBrady

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company, Fun Atmosphere

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lakeville, MN

I have been working at ImageTrend full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Was given a job out of college with the ability to learn on the go. I learned more working here than I did during my time in school. A lot of very smart people working to solve really interesting problems.

Cons

Sometimes deadlines are tight and you're expected to put in a long night or two, possibly coming in on the weekends, but that's to be expected from any development job.

More transparent career paths

Fast-paced fun environment

Former Employee - Software Developer in Lakeville, MN
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Lakeville, MN

I worked at ImageTrend full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits, young professionals, owners are really nice people, fun activities throughout the year

Cons

mediocre pay, not much room to grow, not much training opportunities for professional development

provide training opportunities for all

It was a nice place to work, but the pay was not competitive

Former Employee - Web Developer in Lakeville, MN

I worked at ImageTrend full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people there were nice. I enjoyed most of my coworkers. I enjoyed talking with them and the atmosphere is open and relaxed enough that you can joke around and have some fun while you're working. Most of the software Imagetrend produces has a "feel good" quality to them--software for hospitals, schools, etc. It doesn't feel like you're writing software for a faceless corporation.

Cons

The pay is definitely below average. From what I hear, now they're trying to be more flexible about working from home or having variable work schedules, but when I worked there, it was strictly 8:30-5. Also, you don't want to program in ColdFusion. strictly as a professional decision. Companies don't want to hire you if you have experience in a dead language like that.

Switch to a more modern language and pay your employees more fairly and evenly.

Great place to learn fast about the software development process

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MN

I have been working at ImageTrend full-time

Pros

You get to drink beer. That is the great part of the job. The environment is very open to allow for ping pong and air hockey and just about however you want to spend your day. You also can learn a lot, fast, if you apply yourself. However, don't expect anyone to be pushing you to do bigger and better things. If you are a self-motivator and aren't afraid to push the limits of expectations, you will do very well.

Cons

There is not much accountability in the office. The people that work hard and apply themselves often find their workload to be tremendous because others lean on these people quite often. This is shown by many positions of leadership becoming vacant often by people leaving for more opportunity. It becomes apparent that the lack of accountability is not recognized when products continually miss deadlines and produce lower quality work. This has become the norm, and those peers that are putting the time and effort needed into their work do not get recognized, but instead are made to pick up the slack.

Reward and recognize those that do well, and keep accountable those that don't. People in the office have become complacent and are not doing the quality work that they need to (including myself) because an air in the office of "The harder you work, the more work they give you" has become truth. Management need to acknowledge and take action and has failed to do so despite many opportunities

It simply ok to work

Former Employee - Web Developer in Lakeville, MN

I worked at ImageTrend full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work environment. Friendly co-worker. its easy to talk to the senior management. Only reason for my low rate is low salary. Company's philosophy is to hire new graduates and pay less.

Cons

Low salary and there is not room for career advancement.

Great people, great location, challenged leadership model

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MN

I worked at ImageTrend full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generally good family oriented environment. Good benefits. Located in a great spot just off of 35W. Nice facilities with many recent updates. Owner is building a castle.

Cons

Ownership challenged to allow others to step up and lead within the company. Often erratic behavior including verbal abuse from senior leadership.

Build trust among your management, allow them to take more responsibility & give the autonomy for them to run your business. Decrease the span of control. Focus the business in order to sustain growth, you can't be everything to everyone.

Amazing opportunity to grow

Current Employee - Software Developer in Lakeville, MN

I have been working at ImageTrend full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a smaller but professional company, ImageTrend offers it's employees a structured development environment where you can learn about the latest industry development practices, as well as the freedom to pursue your own flavor of development style.

Cons

Poor middle management means sometimes the grunts end up coding in circles. However, that also indicates a power vacuum, so it may not be a con at all!

Overall sentiment in the office is that compensation is low. Don't be afraid to get rid of the low performers, they drag everyone down.

I have learned a lot, done a lot and enjoyed being part of this community.

Current Employee - Lead Programmer in Lakeville, MN
    Current Employee - Lead Programmer in Lakeville, MN

I have been working at ImageTrend

Pros

Welcome compensated
    Lots of educational opportunities
    Great benefits
        Condos
        Cabins - 4 boats
        Lots of beer and socialization
        In house day care going in
    A chance to work in a positive environment with good friends and very little bureaucracy

Cons

There can be a fair amount of air travel at times.
    You are expected to work pretty hard.
    You have to be pretty smart to keep up.

Keep leading the way and growing the business with an eye on quality and long range planning. Keep the employee/customer interaction as high as possible.

Can't retain talent pool

Current Employee - Integration Specialist in Lakeville, MN
    Current Employee - Integration Specialist in Lakeville, MN

I have been working at ImageTrend

Pros

Company culture is fantastic; the owners do a lot to provide for company activities and functions to blow off steam and relationships with family. Very attractive employer for anyone starting out from college (or internships during). They provide access to company cabins and town homes for anyone looking to get a start in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

Cons

Management seems to only value developers to the detriment of morale in any other role. During crisis situations less than constructive communication tends to take place on part of most of the leadership team.

This company has all the makings of anything/everything someone would want - and there are plenty of things I enjoy bragging about in regard to my job. Just because you're not a developer doesn't mean you should be paying people in specialized roles the least (from what I can tell from GlassDoor.com and what I've heard). I love this company, I enjoy coming into work and give everything I've got - but people doing (literally) 50% of the work I do are getting paid much more. I hate that it comes down to money, but it does.