Imagination Publishing

James Meyers

Good Comapay

Factory (Current Employee)
    Toledo, Ozark, MO

ProsFreedom from the management team

ConsLogistics too hard to bring in materials

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp the young

Friendly culture, good place to get real world experience

Digital Media Editor (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsNice co-workers, young vibe. Very talented people as far as digital goes

ConsStill a cubicle type job, not a whole lot on interdepartmental communication, and room for upward mobility is limited.

Well known, diverse client base to get foundational work experience

Web Analytics Strategist (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsYoung company, fun culture. Decent office layout in an up-and coming neighborhood

ConsLeadership lacks any clear vision for the future. . . classic case of old school thinking of management, and the disconnect with the young millenial workforce

Advice to Senior ManagementPerformance management is a clear issue. Top performing employees were undervalued and gave pretty mediocre "perks" like a $10 gift card to Starbucks. Really?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just OK for an intern

Editorial Intern (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe work wasn't bad and the environment was ok.

ConsThe people are so boring and it has an abnormally high turnaround for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster a more exciting work atmosphere. Maybe get people to talk to each other.

So Much Potential, So Little Action

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsYou will work with some of the most talented, hard-working, collaborative and personable people you will meet in your career. Unfortunately, they will all be incredibly undervalued.

ConsThere is a lack of company vision, transparency, support from upper management, fair compensation, career opportunities, land earning opportunities. There is a larger turnover than anything I have ever imagined or experienced and it is not seen to be any sort of odd situation or time to rethink things.

Great agency internship experience

ProsFun office culture, friendly and knowledgable coworkers, diverse clients/interesting projects, opportunities for growth (especially for self-starters). During my internship, I had the opportunity to work on projects for a number of different clients, and I was able to take on more responsibilities over time.

ConsThe company was/is growing and evolving quickly, so there were some growing pains. At times, there seemed to be a lack of communication between different departments - work seemed to be siloed and teams tended to not collaborate.

Solid internship experience, great colleagues

Digital Marketing Intern (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsAs an intern, I was given a lot of responsibility and my supervisor made sure I was getting all I needed out of the internship experience. Everyone working on my account was helpful about answering questions and giving feedback. I got to dip my toes in most aspects of the account I worked on, giving me a solid background in the way an agency functions.

ConsHuge turnover, even during the 12 short weeks I was there. Seems like not many people stay here for long. Unpaid internship (just a transportation and lunch stipend).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe huge turnover seems to be a symptom of a larger problem and I think it's important that management look into it. You really need to pay your interns, even just $10/hr which is still way cheaper than hiring full time. I worked 40 hours/week contributing real work to the account and I think I should interns should be compensated for that.

Great people, Fun Environment, Good clients.

Director (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI worked at Imagination for several years. I started as an entry level associate and eventually moved up to a director position. The people and environment are fun. Most people I knew there are friends still and all the people I know that worked there and left are still very good friends with people from the company. Its amazing how many lifelong friendships are fostered there. It says a lot about comradery that exists in this place.

Leadership is open and honest. They share everything with you, even down to all the financials, which I had never seen done in my past jobs. They believe in you and want you to succeed and feel comfortable where you work.

Clients are great and the work can be very rewarding. The hours are sometimes long, but I think that's true with most companies and I don't think they expect unbearable hours.

Great 401K program and health and dental benefits. I don't work there any more, but I sure wish I had these benefits back.

I really am surprised about some of the negative feedback here. Imagination does a pretty good job of weeding out the dead weight, so perhaps some of these negative reviews are from people who are were let go and unhappy about it? I really loved my time at imagination and wished I could be back.

ConsThere are a few undesirables that work or have worked at imagination. But if you are being honest with yourself, you can find those in every single company you've ever worked at.

If you want to succeed at Imagination you will have to work hard and be willing to do whatever. It is still a smaller company. Some people think certain tasks are "beneath them" and at a smaller company you have to do things and tasks that you might not have to do at other companies. This isn't a bad thing -it's just the way it is. Be willing to pitch in, don't have an attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be honest with employees. People do enjoy the Orange meetings and hearing about the state of the business.

Don't wait for someone to tell you what to do; go after it and you'll succeed.

ProsEntrepreneurial spirit; extremely smart doers and thinkers; fantastic office space and location; amazing people

ConsStruggles to embrace a company identity; not a lot of guidance for those seeking clear directions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain middle management so they understand their roles as managers and not as super-doers. Teach them to trust their teams, to praise good work and to address mistakes through teaching instead of passive neglect. Everyone's heart is in the right place, there just needs to be some clarification and training.

Fantastic opportunities and a fun work environment

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a ton of smart, creative and forward-thinking people who work here. Many agencies are swollen with redundant departments and competing objectives that you can get lost in the mix. Here you know everyone's name and are working directly with the people who impact change. You never have to set an appointment with the upper management. They're always ready and willing to talk to you.

With every company there is going to be positives and negatives, and much like college, a job is what you make of it. You can come here and be negative about never getting what you want, or you can think about why you came to work for Imagination in the first place, be proactive about how you approach your work, and if there is something that you feel should be changed, figure out how you would change it, what that solution looks like, and present it to management. It may not get pushed through but at least they know that you're someone who is thinking about the future and is willing to step up to make things happen.

ConsIf you'er adverse to change or adaptation, this is not the place for you (and I'd say an agency environment may not be fore you). Each client is different and each team is different so you won't find a standard framework for your day. This can be a positive thing for many people who like diversity in their jobs, but for those looking for that 9-5 day and need concrete instructions, this may not be the place. If you're someone who has more of an entrepreneurial spirit and a problem-solving mentality, you'll go far with this organization and be rewarded for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs some others have mentioned, the one thing I'd suggest is that there is more management training. There are amazing doers at this company, but that doesn't mean that doers automatically know how to be managers. Since there are some younger employees who look up to those around them, it's good for both retention and mentorship to teach managers what it means to be a manger. It's a beneficial lesson for both sides of the table.

Worked for Imagination Publishing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Imagination Publishing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Imagination Publishing CEO James Meyers. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Imagination Publishing employees.