Imagination Publishing

Imagination Publishing Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

James Meyers

Truly values employees. If you are a positive person, you will love it here.

I have been working at Imagination Publishing for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great benefits
    -New projects to work on all the time
    -Great, friendly coworkers
    -Opportunities to move up

Cons

As with any company, there are a few negative people that find a reason to complain (about anything...not just work related). But, overall, this is a company that is interested in it's employees, tries to maintain work-life balance, and is a fun/creative place to work.

Look to interns for FT positions. Continue to give people true autonomy.

Resume builder, nothing more

I worked at Imagination Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual work environment, amazing coworkers, decent benefits.

It's a great place to gain experience at an entry level. You'll work hard and learn a lot. You'll be given a ton of responsibility that should probably be given to someone more experienced than you, but it's a great resume-builder nonetheless.

Cons

As much as the leadership team seems to not want to admit, the company has no direction. In the two years I worked there, the company vision completely changed twice. It made it very difficult for employees to feel secure in their future at the company. On top of that, the humiliating and dishonest way recent layoffs were carried out has permanently affected morale and created a constant feeling of unease (which leadership and HR continued to provoke by prefacing emails or meetings with "Don't worry, this isn't a bad meeting–I promise!"). And many are still wondering how "eliminated positions" in the layoffs were listed as job openings in the following weeks. For a leadership team that prides itself on being open and honest, something is not quite adding up.

The dwindling number of employees combined with the "say yes to anything the client asks" mentality left us all grasping for straws to find hours and people to get the work done. It forced employees in one department to report to a manager in a different department, who has no connection to the work they do or their career goals. It's made an already complicated management structure even more counterproductive, contributing to the huge problem of unclear career paths.

The sad fact is, Imagination is just a good place to develop skills for a couple years. When you realize there's nothing more for your career to gain, you'll move on and be replaced with someone else in their 20s who is willing to accept 30k/year. The even sadder fact is that this seems to be Jim and the leadership team's business plan. With the company's limited investment in its employees, they aren't going to stick around long.

Ask for your employees' input. Do 360 reviews. Make your employees feel valued and reward them with bonuses and promotions (not Starbucks gift cards). Give actual holiday bonuses ($100 is a joke). Stop the ridiculous favoritism. Invest in helping your employees grow.

Good Comapay

Current Employee - Factory  in  Toledo, Ozark, MO
    Current Employee - Factory in Toledo, Ozark, MO

I have been working at Imagination Publishing full-time

Pros

Freedom from the management team

Cons

Logistics too hard to bring in materials

Help the young

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly culture, good place to get real world experience

Current Employee - Digital Media Editor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Digital Media Editor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Imagination Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice co-workers, young vibe. Very talented people as far as digital goes

Cons

Still a cubicle type job, not a whole lot on interdepartmental communication, and room for upward mobility is limited.

Well known, diverse client base to get foundational work experience

Former Employee - Web Analytics Strategist  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Web Analytics Strategist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Imagination Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Young company, fun culture. Decent office layout in an up-and coming neighborhood

Cons

Leadership lacks any clear vision for the future. . . classic case of old school thinking of management, and the disconnect with the young millenial workforce

Performance management is a clear issue. Top performing employees were undervalued and gave pretty mediocre "perks" like a $10 gift card to Starbucks. Really?

Great agency internship experience

I have been working at Imagination Publishing as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Fun office culture, friendly and knowledgable coworkers, diverse clients/interesting projects, opportunities for growth (especially for self-starters). During my internship, I had the opportunity to work on projects for a number of different clients, and I was able to take on more responsibilities over time.

Cons

The company was/is growing and evolving quickly, so there were some growing pains. At times, there seemed to be a lack of communication between different departments - work seemed to be siloed and teams tended to not collaborate.

Just OK for an intern

Former Employee - Editorial Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Imagination Publishing as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The work wasn't bad and the environment was ok.

Cons

The people are so boring and it has an abnormally high turnaround for employees.

Foster a more exciting work atmosphere. Maybe get people to talk to each other.

So Much Potential, So Little Action

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Imagination Publishing full-time

Pros

You will work with some of the most talented, hard-working, collaborative and personable people you will meet in your career. Unfortunately, they will all be incredibly undervalued.

Cons

There is a lack of company vision, transparency, support from upper management, fair compensation, career opportunities, land earning opportunities. There is a larger turnover than anything I have ever imagined or experienced and it is not seen to be any sort of odd situation or time to rethink things.

Solid internship experience, great colleagues

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Imagination Publishing as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, I was given a lot of responsibility and my supervisor made sure I was getting all I needed out of the internship experience. Everyone working on my account was helpful about answering questions and giving feedback. I got to dip my toes in most aspects of the account I worked on, giving me a solid background in the way an agency functions.

Cons

Huge turnover, even during the 12 short weeks I was there. Seems like not many people stay here for long. Unpaid internship (just a transportation and lunch stipend).

The huge turnover seems to be a symptom of a larger problem and I think it's important that management look into it. You really need to pay your interns, even just $10/hr which is still way cheaper than hiring full time. I worked 40 hours/week contributing real work to the account and I think I should interns should be compensated for that.

Great people, Fun Environment, Good clients.

Former Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Imagination Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at Imagination for several years. I started as an entry level associate and eventually moved up to a director position. The people and environment are fun. Most people I knew there are friends still and all the people I know that worked there and left are still very good friends with people from the company. Its amazing how many lifelong friendships are fostered there. It says a lot about comradery that exists in this place.

Leadership is open and honest. They share everything with you, even down to all the financials, which I had never seen done in my past jobs. They believe in you and want you to succeed and feel comfortable where you work.

Clients are great and the work can be very rewarding. The hours are sometimes long, but I think that's true with most companies and I don't think they expect unbearable hours.

Great 401K program and health and dental benefits. I don't work there any more, but I sure wish I had these benefits back.

I really am surprised about some of the negative feedback here. Imagination does a pretty good job of weeding out the dead weight, so perhaps some of these negative reviews are from people who are were let go and unhappy about it? I really loved my time at imagination and wished I could be back.

Cons

There are a few undesirables that work or have worked at imagination. But if you are being honest with yourself, you can find those in every single company you've ever worked at.

If you want to succeed at Imagination you will have to work hard and be willing to do whatever. It is still a smaller company. Some people think certain tasks are "beneath them" and at a smaller company you have to do things and tasks that you might not have to do at other companies. This isn't a bad thing -it's just the way it is. Be willing to pitch in, don't have an attitude.

Continue to be honest with employees. People do enjoy the Orange meetings and hearing about the state of the business.

Worked for Imagination Publishing? Contribute to the Community!