Imagination Technologies

Updated October 5, 2014
3.2

Imagination Technologies CEO and Director Hossein Yassaie
Hossein Yassaie

Pros
  • Some interesting projects to work on; hw and sw teams are closely collaborated; easy to commute to london; colourful sports and social activities (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • salary is very less as compare to industry standard (in 3 reviews)

• low salaries especially for people living in london (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome but can be better

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Kings Langley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+ Growing company with lots of young engineers, good mix of young and experienced engineers
    + Depending upon which division you're in you'd be encouraged to challenge yourself and others to make contributions for the right reasons
    + Much less politics than some other organizations
    + If you're constructive, people like to listen to you
    + Gym options, sports and social, shares and stock options, private health insurance (free for the employee)
    + You're encouraged to say the truth and do the right thing, in some case you're rewarded for doing so

Cons

+ Training and other processes are somewhat younger than other organizations, but then there is a concerted effort to make things better
    + Generally good with infrastructure, but in some cases have gone overboard with styling and architecture and less focus on providing some essentials such as whiteboards
    + No talent recognition system, no plans to make sure the best employees get rewarded and the not so good ones managed out
    + No individual bonuses to a vast majority of employees
    + Salaries could be better given the proximity to London and cost of living

+ Think about employee retention a bit more
    + Have a talent recognition system
    + Prune the dead wood out

Top notch graphics knowledge but somewhat demeaning compensation

Current Employee - Graduate Hardware Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For the short stay I have had until now with the company I'm more satisfied then not. Mainly because as a young engineer I'm seeking to gain knowledge over money.
    The company gives a unique work experience, it is a top dog on the mobile graphics market. The work tasks are very complex and require a certain amount of time to be spent before even starting doing something as easy as changing one line of code.
    People are in general very helpful and most of the senior and principal guys aren't afraid of sharing the Do's and Don'ts.
    Work and life balance is also very good - no white nights, no excessive extra hours spend after work.
    In general very good company for new comers like me to learn, give back and create valuable relationships and connections.

Cons

The management and hierarchical system is very chaotic and without any basic goals to be obtained before stepping up the ladder. In other words you can receive very good appraisals but be stuck at a position for many years just because your personal manager doesn't stick up to you or don't know how to play the office managerial politics game.
    Salaries are bellow the average for the sector and the company knows it. They also know that the work is very complex but also if you have the passion for graphics hardware or software you don't really have that many options.
    In general a demotivating environment for old employees who work a lot but don't shout it out.

Give clear objectives how and when people should progress. It can be really demotivating for a senior employee to see how the company at least on the side seem to cherish more the new comers. And I'm saying that from the position of a new comer.
    Maybe include a bonus system so teams that do great are rewarded appropriately.
    Obviously salary increases to at least follow the industry average would be nice too.

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, and not hectic work hours

Cons

Salary is really crap compared to what other similar companies pay

You need to start paying more

Needs improvement

I worked at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Varied and challenging work. Teams are helpful and pleasant.

Cons

Lack of promotions. Management don't have a clue and keep changing their mind and make too many mistakes.

Change the management.

Great place for graduate engineers to learn, bad place for experienced engineers to make a living.

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place for graduate engineers to learn a great deal in short time. Freshly graduated engineers can start writing RTL from day 1, while our Cambridge brethren won't let you come anywhere near RTL without a PhD and many years of experience.
    Also, the company takes great pride in caring about the well-being of their employees: a good subsidised canteen, a ride-to-work scheme that allows you to lease a bicycle to go to work real cheap, stress management seminars, ...

Cons

The reason why they can allow fresh graduates to work on the hard things is that the experienced and talented people leave as soon as they realise that they're paid Highland wages while living in an area with London housing prices, and that salary and title progression are just a blurry promise at best and that the shares they give you as bonus (after completing three years) are worth nothing and plummet from year to year.
    The reason why they offer a subsidised canteen and leased bicycles is because they're probably aware that their engineers can't afford a used car, or a decent flat or to feed their child on what they earn.

Managers, you must be proud of your achievements! Just look at your Porsches, Mercedes and BMWs on the car park! Just don't forget that qualified labour has a price or you're going to lose them all. By the way, now that you're on a building frenzy, maybe you could build subsidised company dorms. With your engineers living on campus, it will be more easy for them to work even more unpaid overtime.

Have fun, I'm leaving soon. I finally found someone who values my skills and will double my salary. Double!

Good job bad pay

Current Employee - Leading Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Leading Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good and challenging job
    Good culture

Cons

Bad pay
    Poor management of engineering resources

Better pay to engineers (atleast be competitive).
    Better internal processes

Wonderful people, fantastic culture, low pay, very expensive area.

I worked at Imagination Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great, collegiate atmosphere. Friendly people. Active sports and social clubs. Easy to commute to/from London, only 20 mins into euston station. Fantastic canteen facilities.

Cons

It is located in the London commuter belt, so if you plan on living close to work, you get all of the cons of working in London, without the benefits. It is a very expensive area to live in and they do not pay London wages. Mostly male employees and located in a very quiet area.

Where you are located, you are competing with a variety of employers in London for engineering graduates. Competing positions offer significantly higher salaries, in better locations, with a structured career advancement and defined pay rises, not just the promise of a pay review. If you want the best, you should do this. The only reason not to give graduates an approximate figure of what they can expect to be earning in a few years time is if the chances are that it won't be much more than what they started on.

There is no shortage of highly qualified, hard working, enthusiastic engineers in the UK. It's just that they work in the city. Unfortunately, there are a shortage of engineering companies in the UK willing to pay staff what they are worth.

Worth doing for a while, no prospect of progresion

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I worked at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job is incredibly stable - you could possibly spend your entire life there if you wanted to, and you do get to be a part of the development of some pretty well-respected products.

Me recommendation comes with the caveat that you move on once your responsibilities and experience outgrow the recognition you get from Imagination, which will typically take a couple of years.

Cons

You probably would spend your entire life at the grade your graduate adjustments ended at with no changes to pay or job title, even if your work responsibilities started to creep up over time. The pay is far below average for the sector and it's supposedly made up by the share offerings (Which Hossein says not to worry about when they hurtle downwards like a gold medallist at Sochi).

The culture has changed over 4 1/2 years - it went from feeling like 'the worlds biggest startup' to giving the feeling that they cared more about projecting an image than looking after engineers (the new buildings would look nice to a customer, but are 100% completely useles if you have to actually produce a product).

Pay better and listen to your engineers - they're a great bunch but they're just leaking away to Cambridge

Great company full of interesting work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly environment with people really passionate about their work. Plenty of variety day-to-day and you never feel without a challenge. Great transport links, easily commutable from London.

Cons

Salary increases are sometimes unclear and perhaps a little less than competitive with similar jobs. Career progression can also be somewhat of an unknown.

Doing a great job, keep it up.

Laid back; hard problems to solve, yet bad pay; management prioritise non-engineering problems in an engineering company

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Kings Langley, England (UK)

I have been working at Imagination Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Almost all jobs here revolve around designing hardware or writing software for that hardware. That's a fun and challenging thing to do if you're into it.

There's a decent canteen, a decent 'campus' including fancy new all-glass buildings, easy transport links. Most of the people there are ok. Bad people don't get weeded out, so if you can't be bothered working you only have to work harder than the bottom rungs of the ladder and you're safe. It's the corporate form of tenure, I guess. (From my point of view: this as a pro. From a corporate point of view it's probably bad for the bottom line)

Also: They give you free doughnuts/pastries on a Wednesday.

Cons

Suffering growing pains as they become a large international company. e.g.

*They insist on buying loads of random companies all over the world rather than paying their current staff more.

* HR + admin continually create pointless and dangerously ambiguous rules and then issue them as some kind of iron-cast declaration. Most of them do nothing but makes managers happy but they all outright ignore the common engineering worker, which is a massive detriment to the company. They're essentially trying to PR spin their own employees into thinking they have it better than they have. We moved into a new building about a year ago and we went from an "anything goes" environment to not having more than X number of PCs present on our desks (In an environment where people regularly have about 3), no more than 2 monitors, NO WHITEBOARDS, no coat hooks, only 1 set of power sockets, no real segmentation of space and privacy as everything is made of glass (in a profession that is probably 90% introvert). Absolutely no thought was given to what the actual software and hardware engineer's environment that we'll encounter on a daily basis. It's completely stifling to work in. This is a huge negative in terms of the everyday working practice, but the people in the admin office think it makes the place look nice (they got some fancy sinks for their fancy new bathrooms!) so it's best we go along with it.

* The wages are generally bad. The CEO and Board are happy to say they don't care about the share price, and yet stock is an essential part of the financial compensation, meaning the overall 'pay' is often terrible and in some years the employees have a massive flux from the last as the stock dives from £8 to £1.50.

* The company has an absolute lack of regard for an employee's progression and skill development in the company. They hardly bother changing anyone's title, even if they've been there years and out-grown their old one. In their small start-up days this would have been fine, but we're a company of 1000+ now, it'd be nice to have some recognition for our work.

* As mentioned, they don't weed out bad and useless people, meaning you have to deal with some complete idiots who are nothing but a waste of time and energy. We've had school-level interns join us, knowing nothing about what we do, and still manage to outperform some of our employees. (coupled with the lack of job titles means you don't know if the person you're talking to in another team is of any use or not)

* Some of the software process is a joke, such as the way bugs are dealt with, and there's a complete lack of respect from management for creating proper tools, even though they're the lifeblood of every employee. The software teams just cobble them together themselves, get shouted at for "wasting time" on this tool, yet receive no praise when the entire company gets years worth of man hours as a result. (e.g. objanal is a saviour, and yet not a single team owns it. Even the hw-sim and hw-design teams use it). There's no enforced teaching material for new people, which just completely wastes experienced engineer's time as we retell people the same thing every time. Any attempt to create a division wide teaching syllabus has been shot down. (protip: Every engineer in the software department works on the exact same thing). We also have entire teams dedicated to completely overengineering our drivers (services!) and due to fearmongering from the higher-ups we can't even open source our drivers, meaning the linux community hates us.

Fire the bad employees. Give their pay to everyone else (i.e. better pay for everyone else). Give more respect to the engineering environment and realise that admin staff who can't even type emails in decent English shouldn't be setting the engineering environment that the company depends upon.