Imagine Communications

Charlie Vogt

New Software Developer - New Hire Perspective

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Imagine Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The development culture at Imagine seems very progressive and open to moving with the flow of the industry. Key people are in place to succeed and grow into a top-notch software development group. All the right decisions have been made and those in management positions are very open-minded and willing to let their engineers work to create the best product, and offer suggestions for improvement.

The company culture appears to be evolving as many changes have occurred in the company and upper management in the last year and a half. That said, the company appears to be poised to be very successful in the future. The company has made an obvious decision to offer compensation and benefits to attract top-notch talent. The work environment is casual but there is a notable push for high performance and productivity. If you like working hard, as most in the tech space are, I see little to be concerned about.

Cons

I see none at this time, except for the struggle to find great talent to bring on board.

Be more pro-active in approving offers to potential candidates in the hiring process. Empower managers to move forward on candidates for positions that have been previously approved.

Visionary Leadership - Clear Focus

I have been working at Imagine Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Charlie Vogt our CEO provides unquestioned leadership and focus. In just one year our CEO has become a leader within the broadcast, MSO and Telco delivery of TV Everywhere solutions. The company has shown a willingness to grow both organically and through M&A activity. Private Equity ownership, Gores Group LLC are willing to invest when opportunities arise.

Cons

If you're not located at a design / product center or located at corporate headquarters, your chances for opportunity and advancement are limited. Remote locations are only viable for sales, sales support and some marketing functions. The company has become top-heavy with proxies for every function located mostly in Frisco Texas or sometimes in the Denver CO office.

Invest more in Product Development, Technical Sales, Deployment and other functions that drive revenue directly.

It's a Sunny Day at Imagine

Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at Imagine Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Our leadership team has brought new ideas and new enthusiasm to the company. They have built a pay for performance culture. Those that perform are rewarded. The company is constantly innovating and investing in new technologies and acquisitions. This is a company that is growing. Employees who are willing to work hard will be rewarded.

Cons

Imagine Communications was owned by a federal DoD company very early in 2013 and some of the folks who were part of the 'business as usual' DoD culture still work at Imagine. These folks are not used to an innovative environment and have had trouble adjusting to all of the new initiatives.

I hope your leadership and investments in the company will continue. We are on the precipice of industry domination and need to continue taking risks in order to reap the potential rewards.

Please continue to be patient with the 'old guard' that still work here as they helped us build the company that we are today.

I have been working at Imagine Communications.

I have been working at Imagine Communications

Pros

Good work culture with many diverse opportunities to learn and grow.
    Great exposure because of the recent growth.
    Conductive work environment that encourages proactive employees by being flexible and caring about the well-being of all employees.
    Leadership has a great vision and passion for the company.

Cons

Growth often dependant on experience

Great Hardworking Team

I worked at Imagine Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Surrounded by hard working smart people
    Customers like the products

Cons

Size of the company was an issue with some

Needed more people to really take the technology to a broader base of customers

Don't let them fool you

I have been working at Imagine Communications

Pros

For the real review of this company, look up Harris Broadcast.

This place was once a really dynamic place to work. It started going downhill when Harris Corp. sold them off for pennies of what it's worth. Ever since, Gores - and especially the new Genband management - have created an environment of toxicity, fear, 24/7 work mentality and lack of caring toward it's employees (unless you came from Genband).

Cons

Everything. I'm looking to get out as quick as I can.

The new management team has thrown the line of "creating a new culture." What this really means is you are at management's beckon call 24/7. If you don't embrace the 24/7 work style set forth by the new CEO, in his words "I don't have a position or need for you here." Culture is management by fear. I remember an email chain one day telling the new CEO something is being worked on to get completed. His response "will work faster." This type of management doesn't work anymore Charlie.
    Culture is also planning extravagant retreats to the tune of $1.5million - only a select few (including the Genband team) get to attend. This is in spite of no salary increases or spend related to invest in employees.

Slow down - stop making decisions in a vacuum for the sake of just making one. Recognize your employees (even if they aren't from Genband).

Honestly, there really isn't advice I can give because it won't make a difference with this bunch. They'll end up sinking this ship to the bottom of the ocean before it's all said and done.

Imagine Communications Response

Jun 13, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

I am sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate the frank feedback.

We have had a lot of changes in the past year and have created a new culture. This change was difficult for some but
    ... More

Courteous employer

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Imagine Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Imagine Communications in Toronto was formerly known as Broadcast Communication Division of Harris Corporation. The place was full of very professional people who knew how to conduct their jobs. It was also a nice place to work in with a relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

There were many colleagues who had been there for a lot of years. As such, many of them had a sense of entitlement or a feeling of seniority. Overtime or any advantages was always given based on this seniority. It was all right, as long as the more senior people were actually were better at their jobs.

not the best work place in the world

Current Employee - QA Team Leader in Netanya (Israel)
    Current Employee - QA Team Leader in Netanya (Israel)

I have been working at Imagine Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good peoples , nice technology , close to home , traffic to work is ok

Cons

bad work env , Career Opportunities is poor , bad business decisions

Company

I have been working at Imagine Communications

Pros

Great technology and great people. Nice office and they supply refreshments and snacks for all employees and guest. Some nice perks for upper VP management.

Cons

Lack of mobility. Very top heavy. Need to make better company decisions. Need a HR department. Will be great when company gets bigger.

Need to listen to employees. Need more time off. Need an HR department or person. Need a better upper management structure

Imagine Communications Photos