Imagine Communications

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.1

Charlie Vogt

Starting as a contractor, loving it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Imagine Communications

Pros

It's a laid back atmosphere. Everyone is very friendly. The office is beautiful, with nice views of the Capital building and the mountains. No micro management and my boss is always available whenever I have questions. My boss has already expressed interest in my growth with the company and career path. The executives are personable and friendly. There are ping pong and foosball tables in the break room. Awesome culture all around!

Cons

Contractors don't get parking perks so commuting to downtown can get costly. I hear the full time employees get great benefits, so that is the goal!

Exciting industry leader, new management team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Imagine Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice new offices, dynamic management team with lots of drive to succeed and give value to private equity owners.

Cons

You must cross boundaries if you are in Dallas to get to office.

Look out for your staff as they hope to be compensated for their daily effort.

An all-around horrible experience. I only managed to stay for 10 months and that was 10 too many

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Denver, CO

I worked at Imagine Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The new office downtown is really nice. The work environment is also pretty laid back with ping pong tables in the break room

Cons

The pay is not up to par
    All development is outsourced to CTS, which is an India based contracting company. It isn't easy to work with offshore developers with the language barrier and time difference, but it is necessary
    Alarmingly high turnover rate
    Not enough creative or "out of the box" type thinking
    HR will try to say that it is company policy to not pay unused but accrued vacation upon departure. While it is company policy to try not to, the state law in Colorado saying it must be paid overrides that. No telling how many people were lied to or bullied on their way out to not be paid what they are rightfully owed

Downhill fast

I have been working at Imagine Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hard to find real ones...

Cons

Managment is complacent especially on Engineering. CEO came in and made aggressive changes on executive level, sales, IT, marketing and legal. When it came to Engineering, engineering got a new head of Engineering, an advisory board (which nobody can tell you effectively what they do, but they are ex-managers who somehow have saved their jobs) and that's it. No flatenning of the dept. Too much managment and not enough people working to meet deadlines/projects/deliverables. Nobody has seen a raise in year and management doesn't care to keep their employees or retain them. I was told the door is there and to leave if I wanted to. Years ago, management cared and did what they could to retain.

Instead of bonuses (which are taxed heavily and not guaranteed), give real raises. You can't hire someone who doesn't have the same experience as a person you have had working for you for 10+ years to get paid less than the new guy who is less skilled and be happy about it.

A challenged company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Imagine Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Private equity ownership can have its benefits including a wallet to possibly acquire additional companies with right products.

Cons

The company has struggled with the fact that it has a few dominant high market share products and a whole bunch of mediocre products. Evertz has really made inroads over the past several years especially during the sales process and separation from Harris. As in all technology businesses, prices continue to decline. They are trying to change their business model to services and solutions but that's tough in a slow moving industry.

Even with new team, that is a tough road to hoe.

Unless you love broadcast technology, look elsewhere.

Visionary Leadership - Clear Focus

I have been working at Imagine Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Charlie Vogt our CEO provides unquestioned leadership and focus. In just one year our CEO has become a leader within the broadcast, MSO and Telco delivery of TV Everywhere solutions. The company has shown a willingness to grow both organically and through M&A activity. Private Equity ownership, Gores Group LLC are willing to invest when opportunities arise.

Cons

If you're not located at a design / product center or located at corporate headquarters, your chances for opportunity and advancement are limited. Remote locations are only viable for sales, sales support and some marketing functions. The company has become top-heavy with proxies for every function located mostly in Frisco Texas or sometimes in the Denver CO office.

Invest more in Product Development, Technical Sales, Deployment and other functions that drive revenue directly.

New Software Developer - New Hire Perspective

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Imagine Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The development culture at Imagine seems very progressive and open to moving with the flow of the industry. Key people are in place to succeed and grow into a top-notch software development group. All the right decisions have been made and those in management positions are very open-minded and willing to let their engineers work to create the best product, and offer suggestions for improvement.

The company culture appears to be evolving as many changes have occurred in the company and upper management in the last year and a half. That said, the company appears to be poised to be very successful in the future. The company has made an obvious decision to offer compensation and benefits to attract top-notch talent. The work environment is casual but there is a notable push for high performance and productivity. If you like working hard, as most in the tech space are, I see little to be concerned about.

Cons

I see none at this time, except for the struggle to find great talent to bring on board.

Be more pro-active in approving offers to potential candidates in the hiring process. Empower managers to move forward on candidates for positions that have been previously approved.

It's a Sunny Day at Imagine

Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at Imagine Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Our leadership team has brought new ideas and new enthusiasm to the company. They have built a pay for performance culture. Those that perform are rewarded. The company is constantly innovating and investing in new technologies and acquisitions. This is a company that is growing. Employees who are willing to work hard will be rewarded.

Cons

Imagine Communications was owned by a federal DoD company very early in 2013 and some of the folks who were part of the 'business as usual' DoD culture still work at Imagine. These folks are not used to an innovative environment and have had trouble adjusting to all of the new initiatives.

I hope your leadership and investments in the company will continue. We are on the precipice of industry domination and need to continue taking risks in order to reap the potential rewards.

Please continue to be patient with the 'old guard' that still work here as they helped us build the company that we are today.

I have been working at Imagine Communications.

I have been working at Imagine Communications

Pros

Good work culture with many diverse opportunities to learn and grow.
    Great exposure because of the recent growth.
    Conductive work environment that encourages proactive employees by being flexible and caring about the well-being of all employees.
    Leadership has a great vision and passion for the company.

Cons

Growth often dependant on experience

Great Hardworking Team

I worked at Imagine Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Surrounded by hard working smart people
    Customers like the products

Cons

Size of the company was an issue with some

Needed more people to really take the technology to a broader base of customers

Imagine Communications Photos