Imagine Learning

4.2

Joe Swenson

Great Company!

I have been working at Imagine Learning

Pros

High caliber people all dedicated to an excellent mission

Cons

A lack of visionary leadership

Fun company, great people, clear and meaningful mission

I worked at Imagine Learning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone truly believes the work they do is important, which lends itself to committed, happy employees. If you love working somewhere that gives your work a sense of purpose, this is the place. Work-life balance is amazing, and I've never worked with people who care more about each other. There is no "we" versus "us" in management, making everybody (all the way up to the CEO) incredibly approachable. The company also values and wants their employees to innovate and contribute in any way possible - even if it is outside your job description. This gives you a lot of opportunity to move around and make a difference. This is a great place to work if you like to take on a lot of responsibility and have changing responsibilities. You also have multiple opportunities for professional development.

Additionally, working here is just a whole lot of fun. There are always activities going on, and the company loves to celebrate successes. You feel appreciated as an employee.

Cons

Growing pains as the company prepares to grow rapidly. In many areas there is a lack of clarity on career advancement - what you need to do to gain a higher title, etc. However, I did find that this was in function only - the company was open about giving you more responsibility if you asked for it. Some disorganization in teams.

Continue being picky about the people you hire and make sure the right people are in the right places. Continue focusing on our values - it makes IL a great place to work. Expand your ideas on certain roles: you may be keeping people back. Continue to work on your agile development practices.

Great company; great people.

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, the positive energy and comfort in knowing that what we do for children and teachers really makes a difference are why I am hooked. There is a strong sense of purpose and direction from top to bottom and back up again with this company. Never have I worked for an organization where the executive team knows us ALL by name and are so approachable. That is something I hope always persists because it makes us strong and keeps us in a position to successfully meet the demands of our partners.

Cons

Growing pains and keeping up with the industry moving at a such a fast pace seem to be the challenge at present. Continue to cast your talent net wider and build our support team from local levels to help keep the pace with our growth - it is our sustainable competitive advantage and a non-negotiable in my humble opinion.

I sincerely hope the executive team continues to be as approachable as they've been since I've been with this organization - not only is it unique, but much appreciated. We all feel like a team - even family from the office to the field and that really says something. My colleagues are an amazing group as well and for the first time I see myself in a place I want to stay for the duration in my career. Thank you for making this such a great place to work!

Imagine Learning has attracted top-notch people and is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The mission of Imagine Learning is really something I can get behind. I've felt a real sense of purpose here because we are changing lives and opening doors of opportunity for children all over. It is great to see so many kids blossom because of Imagine Learning.

Of equal importance to me is the impressive quality of my co-workers. It has been a pleasure to work among so many smart, happy people. Employees are committed to making it a great place to work. I truly feel that my manager and the executive team care about me and my family.

Imagine Learning currently offers a yearly bonus for all employees that is tied to hitting a sales quota. I think it motivates the entire team to work hard to create, market, sell, and support the best product possible. I appreciate the unlimited sick day policy. I think it exhibits a high level of employee trust, and it's nice to be able to take the days off you need to recover.

A great pantry stocked with healthy and not-so-healthy food choices. :)

Cons

In the world of technology, things change fast. We have to not only keep up with it, but be ahead of it, and sometimes this causes growing pain frustrations.

There is a little bit of a sense that the sales team rules the roost.

Others have complained about company communication, but from what I've seen, management is extremely transparent. Weekly company-wide meetings are held where employees are given a chance to ask questions about any topic to the executive team. I've really appreciated the open environment.

In a company of this size, there aren't many chances for advancement. Luckily, it is pretty great exactly where I am.

Continue to communicate to your employees. Focus on producing the best product available and give enough time for testing before releasing it, so bugs can be worked out. Keep celebrating!

Great people, positive environment, great cause, good culture

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomous, good product, good pay structure, freedom within budgets

Cons

lack of marketing, unknown product, constant technical problems, lack of field support, no strategy regarding quotas

give more time and resources to building new territories

Great Company -- everyone should want to work here

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is an organization with a mission that you can get behind and feel great about -- helping kids learn to read so they can get an education and have a shot at life. Additionally: Flat organization means anyone can talk to leadership about anything, friendly people, plenty of celebrating & food, and (from what I can tell) slightly above average pay. Good benefits and time off policies.

Cons

Because we have to respond to the market (like successful and real companies have to do), sometimes we have to adjust priorities and change what we are doing. I know some people don't like that.
    Promotion opportunities exist, but not to the same degree they would in a Fortune 100 company.

A Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time

Pros

Working at Imagine Learning has had a huge impact on my life. I have felt so appreciated for the work I do and feel like the work I do is making a difference. The compensation has been better than I expected and more opportunities have come my way. I have enjoyed my work so much I continue to pass on other job opportunities. This place has a great culture and I feel like the leadership team really cares about my family and me.

Cons

There aren't a ton of opportunities for advancement.

A good stepping stone in your career path.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

With a casual business environment, it's easy to have a good time and work hard at Imagine Learning. Co-workers are good to work with. Benefits are on par with other companies in the area.

Unlimited sick days provide a way to ensure you fully recover. Weekly stocked pantry is nice. Possibly an annual bonus (provided they keep the program going).

Cons

An open office structure may be marked as a pro for others but not for this engineer. I value time when I can focus on coding but an open office (read: no cubicles) cause frequent distractions and headphones on/in the zone has no meaning here.

No management between directors and engineers. So any issues you have have to be taken directly to senior management and senior management is very busy.

Pay scale leaves plenty to be desired. 401k matching is a bit of a joke (50% of 3% = 1.5%; over 4 year vesting). Vision and dental insurance seem low end/cheap (opinion there). No more stock options (company was purchased early 2014).

Get some managers to help focus on your employees and ensure their success. It's in your own interest to do so!

its tolerable but there are better places to work at

I worked at Imagine Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Imagine learning has some incredible yearly events that are way fun. Overall though the best reasons to work here
    -The mission of teaching literacy to the children of the world.
    -Flexible schedules
    -The conferences

Cons

The cons of working here:
    -Lower compensation
    -Take serious abuse from coworkers especially sales.
    -High stress
    -No opportunity to move up in the company.
    -Constantly setup for failure

Ways to improve are:
    - Don't allow sales to run the roost instead create a way where everyone is working together as a team.
    - Allow for more opportunities for employees to move up in the company.
    -Compensate Better(Right now Imagine is way behind the curve when it comes to monetary benefits but on par with health and dental)
    -Recognize high employee performance across ALL departments not just for sales.
    -For the teams other than sales there is no real incentive for hitting hard goals other than not getting fired. Its demoralizing when we accomplish a huge goal and we get nothing more than a thanks and what have you done for me lately especially when sales gets yearly trips to international destinations.

decent enough company

Current Employee - Educational Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Educational Support Specialist

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working in the field has some enormous advantages. I would highly recommend it. Working with teachers / principles is great, best of all is seeing actual progress and growth with students in schools.

Cons

very difficult to advance. Nepotism is rampant, although shrinking. Sales runs the roost. many support folks are treated as 2nd class to the sales organization. Nobody polices what is fairly abusive behavior by the sales team as long as they reach quota, they are untouchable.

allow input from employees w/o retribution. create policies for both sales and support, follow them, and stick to them. abusive behavior should not be tolerated.