Imagine Learning

Updated October 6, 2014
Updated October 6, 2014
4.2

Joe Swenson

Great people, positive environment, great cause, good culture

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomous, good product, good pay structure, freedom within budgets

Cons

lack of marketing, unknown product, constant technical problems, lack of field support, no strategy regarding quotas

give more time and resources to building new territories

Great Company -- everyone should want to work here

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is an organization with a mission that you can get behind and feel great about -- helping kids learn to read so they can get an education and have a shot at life. Additionally: Flat organization means anyone can talk to leadership about anything, friendly people, plenty of celebrating & food, and (from what I can tell) slightly above average pay. Good benefits and time off policies.

Cons

Because we have to respond to the market (like successful and real companies have to do), sometimes we have to adjust priorities and change what we are doing. I know some people don't like that.
    Promotion opportunities exist, but not to the same degree they would in a Fortune 100 company.

A Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time

Pros

Working at Imagine Learning has had a huge impact on my life. I have felt so appreciated for the work I do and feel like the work I do is making a difference. The compensation has been better than I expected and more opportunities have come my way. I have enjoyed my work so much I continue to pass on other job opportunities. This place has a great culture and I feel like the leadership team really cares about my family and me.

Cons

There aren't a ton of opportunities for advancement.

A good stepping stone in your career path.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

With a casual business environment, it's easy to have a good time and work hard at Imagine Learning. Co-workers are good to work with. Benefits are on par with other companies in the area.

Unlimited sick days provide a way to ensure you fully recover. Weekly stocked pantry is nice. Possibly an annual bonus (provided they keep the program going).

Cons

An open office structure may be marked as a pro for others but not for this engineer. I value time when I can focus on coding but an open office (read: no cubicles) cause frequent distractions and headphones on/in the zone has no meaning here.

No management between directors and engineers. So any issues you have have to be taken directly to senior management and senior management is very busy.

Pay scale leaves plenty to be desired. 401k matching is a bit of a joke (50% of 3% = 1.5%; over 4 year vesting). Vision and dental insurance seem low end/cheap (opinion there). No more stock options (company was purchased early 2014).

Get some managers to help focus on your employees and ensure their success. It's in your own interest to do so!

its tolerable but there are better places to work at

I worked at Imagine Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Imagine learning has some incredible yearly events that are way fun. Overall though the best reasons to work here
    -The mission of teaching literacy to the children of the world.
    -Flexible schedules
    -The conferences

Cons

The cons of working here:
    -Lower compensation
    -Take serious abuse from coworkers especially sales.
    -High stress
    -No opportunity to move up in the company.
    -Constantly setup for failure

Ways to improve are:
    - Don't allow sales to run the roost instead create a way where everyone is working together as a team.
    - Allow for more opportunities for employees to move up in the company.
    -Compensate Better(Right now Imagine is way behind the curve when it comes to monetary benefits but on par with health and dental)
    -Recognize high employee performance across ALL departments not just for sales.
    -For the teams other than sales there is no real incentive for hitting hard goals other than not getting fired. Its demoralizing when we accomplish a huge goal and we get nothing more than a thanks and what have you done for me lately especially when sales gets yearly trips to international destinations.

decent enough company

Current Employee - Educational Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Educational Support Specialist

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working in the field has some enormous advantages. I would highly recommend it. Working with teachers / principles is great, best of all is seeing actual progress and growth with students in schools.

Cons

very difficult to advance. Nepotism is rampant, although shrinking. Sales runs the roost. many support folks are treated as 2nd class to the sales organization. Nobody polices what is fairly abusive behavior by the sales team as long as they reach quota, they are untouchable.

allow input from employees w/o retribution. create policies for both sales and support, follow them, and stick to them. abusive behavior should not be tolerated.

They're moving slow, but they'll get there...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Imagine Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Open pantry. Frequent company celebrations/parties. Great location. Excellent sales team. Heavily oriented toward family.

Cons

Always feels like I'm begging to be paid industry standard. Slow to adopt new technologies and embrace change. Hard to move vertically.

Great perks, but a LOT left to be desired.

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible schedule; expense account to cover all associated work costs (including meals); and warm, helpful, and intelligent colleagues.

Cons

Lack of communication across departments; base salary not sufficient to retain high-level talent; and disconnected values and goals.

As a 10-year old company, Imagine Learning should be a lot more evolved in its organizational operations. Lack of communication across departments often results in duplicated efforts and time wasted. My advice is to find the best and brightest among your ranks and ask for and listen to their ideas. Give them the freedom to push beyond YOUR comfort zone as leaders. Trust in their expertise and pay them well. Be the "employer of choice" that Jonathan Grayer wants you to be. Then sit back and watch your business SOAR to give the big boys in this industry a run for their money.

Great company, one of the best I have worked at.

I worked at Imagine Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family-friendly work environment; supports work-life balance. Excellent leadership and people throughout the entire organization. The people work-hard and play-hard, super fun place to work. Most importantly, the mission and values are engrained in the company's culture, they are not just words but they are truly upheld. It is extremely fulfilling to work for a company that has a position impact children’s futures.

Cons

Company based in Provo, UT, therefore, the predominate religion is too much apart of the company culture.

Great job, great company

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Provo, UT

I have been working at Imagine Learning full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There's always work to do, great people to work with, fun, free food, lot's of growth, great benefits.

Cons

In my job position, there is usually more to get done than there is time to do it. But that is kind of just accepted and we do as much as we can. Everyone also helps each other out, which makes it easier.

Keep the company transparent. They do a great job of this.