Imation

www.imation.com

Imation Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014
Imation – Oakdale – “Imation Headquarters”

Imation President, CEO, and Director Mark E. Lucas

Mark E. Lucas

Fighting through a difficult transition into a new company - rooting for you!

Marketing Director (Former Employee) Oakdale, MN

ProsThe company has a well defined strategy, and a very hard working team of employees, managers and executives. Inorganic acquisition strategy is the only way forward. Mark Lucas allows acquired companies to decide if they want to integrate or operate as separate units - which is a rarity. Excellent communication and town hall meetings led by Mark and Executive Staff. Everyone is incredibly nice at the company. Management team is knowledgeable and works hard to hear input from employees through different formal and informal communication methods.

ConsIntegrating acquisitions has been a challenge - nothing unusual here - similar to any large company acquiring smaller ones. Product Line Management team needs upgrading of talent for directing new product development for complex technologies (e.g. security, cloud storage, etc.). Too much expertise in older technologies and lack of understanding of integrated software and hardware offerings. Causing key executives and managers from acquired companies to leave because junior PLMs are calling the shots but don't have the expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep executing to the plan. Try to think and act more like a small business. Upgrade the PLM team and hold them more accountable for their decisions. Scale back unneeded processes and meetings so that you can make decisions more quickly and timely.

Hopefully the bad times are over....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oakdale, MN

ProsDecent pay and most employees are easy to work with.

ConsImation is the leader in a dying industry (optical). They tried offsetting those loses by pursuing CE, but failed. Now they are focused once again on storage only in B2B. Overall they do not have any edge over the competition and stopped growing their IP years ago. They need a large scale transformational change to remain a player long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace current management, develop a vision and strategy for the company that will last long term and execute. Stop making decisions to hit targets for the short term at the expense of long term success.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly working environment with a flexible schedule to help students that are attending college.

ConsNo real direction. Many employees afraid of layoffs and there is not much opportunity for growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mobile Security team.

ProsGreat, leverage-able portfolio of technologies.

ConsNo corporate strategy - what's a tech portfolio without a strategy!! Weak corporate leadership. The business rests on tape media without expansion into other areas or other ways to leverage media.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company badly needs new leadership.

Lots of opportunity for amazing experience.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Oakdale, MN

ProsDynamic changing environment, opportunity for change and adding value is near constant. Great place to work if you enjoy change, making a difference and gaining a wealth of experience.

ConsPay is consistently under market, too many directors/executives, management is over compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate those employees you wouldn't want to leave appropriately with market.

Up and down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary and benefits, good PTO time

ConsManagement keeps changing strategies and buying worthless companies

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Company in a state of confusion

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mid-level management team - although many have left. At the time great technology - although most has been sold off.

ConsThey are in a mad scramble to figure out how to make money other than optical disks and tape. They buy a company, try to integrate it, fail, and then buy another. No commitment to the technologies, no direction, no understanding of the industry they are trying to penetrate.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the CEO - he is way over his head.

Bleeding Out

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay and very flexible

ConsFinancial situation isn't getting better.

IronKey Division: Low morale, high management turnover, no clear vision

Sales (Former Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsIronKey is a good product and the parent company has been around a long time. The company culture is ok.

ConsZero communication about product launches, comp structure, expected quota. Very high management turn over. Very low morale among employees

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a clear roadmap with solid communication of company goals/strategies and stick with it for more than a few months

down the drain

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Oakdale, MN

ProsThere is nothing to mention.

ConsThe company is in shutdown mode. If you are looking for a long-term career DO NOT work here. Layoffs are happening every month, and people who haven't been cut are actively looking for employment elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current CEO has driven Imation into the ground. Any advice he was offered he wouldn't understand. The CFO has been in over his head for years and is just biding his time until he can start drawing on his 3M pension.

Worked for Imation? Contribute to the Community!