Imerys

Updated January 27, 2015
2.8

Imerys Président-Directeur Général Gilles Michel
Gilles Michel

A frustrating struggle to balance expectations with available resources.

I worked at Imerys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a good benefits package. My boss was supportive and encouraged us to think outside of the box. They are also supportive if you have an interest in continuing education, providing some reimbursement for classes and or professional development seminars.

Cons

The name of the game is lean and mean these days but they tend to be a little too lean in areas. Some sites work all holidays, weekends, ect. Also, very disorganized when it comes to communicating policies/procedures across the various sites.

Developing a new hire training program and a basic employee handbook would be a great next step to help maintain consistency and a clear understanding of expectations across the multiple sites.

Nothing is equal

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Imerys

Pros

Most employees friendly and work well in teams.

Cons

If you are foreign born you will have much more opportunity for advancement and perks not offered to others. Upper mgmt. makes decisions without input or consideration from those actually working the job. Long hours are expected. Medical plans were expensive with not good coverage. You keep hoping things will improve, then realize nothing is "fair" in the environment and you need to move on.

Create a place on the intranet for employees to go to with basic benefit, holiday, HR related forms. It was very chaotic trying to obtain information. When anything major is going to be changing get input from ALL level of the employees involved. so you have a complete perspective.

Imery's

Former Employee - Operations in Andersonville, GA
    Former Employee - Operations in Andersonville, GA

I worked at Imerys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Let it be your last choice for employment. Too much racial divide at this plant!

Cons

No communication between Plants. Great Company employee working relationships are frown upon.

COMMUNICATION IS KEY!!! LISTEN TO YOUR HOURLY EMPLOYEES, THEY ARE THE ONE'S IN THE TRENCHES EVERYDAY!!

Great Place to work.

Current Employee - Grounds Utility in Marble Hill, GA
    Current Employee - Grounds Utility in Marble Hill, GA

I have been working at Imerys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Outside work, with fellow co-workers. The longer I'm with the company, the more I feel like part of the family.

Cons

Very little to add to the con section. For hourly employees, it's a very dirty and dusty job. Dirt and dust are the only negatives.

Diversified learning and positive experience. Imerys gives employees to work on multiple projects and keeps them busy.

Current Employee - Market Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Market Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Imerys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Opportunity to work on multiple projects and learn fast
    *International people - people from all different regions
    * People value your opinion
    * Managers are quite helpful

Cons

*Less Salary
    *Less fun loving environment
    *Very serious environment

*Motivate employees to work here with fun and stay in the company for longer duration

Great Company always looking to grow

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Imerys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great growing company! They really allow the employees to have a impact and changes on the way business is done. Very open door to hearing everybody's opinion. Even as large as Imerys they are always looking at growing and adding divisions

Cons

There is not as much cohesion and communication between the divisions. If done right Imerys should be able to use its Purchasing power among all of the divisions as leverage with their vendors.

Have more inter-division meetings and events. Help organize similar departments to work together to help share ideas and problems to ensure future success as a company.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lompoc, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lompoc, CA

I have been working at Imerys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

very good pay, decent benefits, medical could be better

Cons

micromanaging, lack of communication, are killing this place, management has no appreciation for there employees or their knowledge, would rather rely on non-local sub-contractors who have no investment in the plant, no preventative maintenance, lack of parts for maintenance

Trust the knowledge and skill of your work force, help us to do our job, a job that we are very good at. Give us the tools we need to accomplish our job, unlike sub-contractors we have an investment in this plant and care weather or not it is successful!

High "enforced" people turn over

Current Employee - Middle Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Imerys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Difficult to say, unless sizeable acquisitions come up, company will go nowhere. The get results at any cost short term has been clearly detrimental to support organic growth. CEO and Division Heads really do not care about people, manufacturing or marketing. Innovation is a joke, as at the end products are the same offered by the industry for years just with new fancy names.

Cons

War mentality, even top managers are constantly harassed by unattainable demands, fully blamed by failures even when had their arms twisted to agree with demands. Competitors have been the real beneficiaries of the high turn over, people are not fired but pushed to their limits until they leave....!!!

Should be advice to controlling shareholders......do something, company results is flat for years now, even with all the recovery that took place in the USA and in the top european countries. Imerys has been constantly losing share to competitors, how come competitors grew consistently and Imerys not.....Answer is disruptive management.

Good working environment but old marketing schmes

Former Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA

I worked at Imerys as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

great working environment for interns

Cons

They have old working schemes

be more specific

Move on

I have been working at Imerys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to learn but be prepared to figure out who to gain the knowledge from.

Cons

This is a low paying, high stress company. Reading the reviews earlier, they are fairly accurate as to the cons. Micro managers with little or no knowledge and the negative politics are rampant.

Company needs to revamp the middle level, set a better precedent for collaborative, positive culture.

Imerys Photos

warehouse
Westwood Chalk Pits, Beverley (Photo thanks to Geograph user Paul Glazzard, Some Rights Reserved)
silos on site