Immersion Corporation Reviews

4.3
Immersion Corporation President and Chief Executive Officer Vic Viegas
Vic Viegas

1. Featured Review

Best company I've ever worked at!

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Software Development in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Immersion has been sort of a dream-come-true. First of all I work on haptic technology, which is to bring the sense of touch to our digital world, which is really cool. Haptics is a hot topic right now, which makes working at Immersion very interesting. Our customers are big name OEMs (e.g. Samsung), which makes the work challenging and exciting. To top it off, Immersion feels like a startup company in a good way, meaning the Engineering department is relatively small (40 people or so) spread across two geographies (San Jose & Montreal). The engineers are split in smaller sub-teams of 3-4 developers + 1 QA and a technical lead. Each team is fairly independent and follows the Agile process quite closely. Finally the compensation is I would say quite competitive in the industry, with great benefits, a bonus program that pays every 6-months, stock-based compensation ended out annually, and an employee stock purchase program that allows you to buy IMMR stock with a rebate. One of the best confirmation that Immersion is a great company to work at is by looking at the number of employees that have been there for 5+ years. I would say it's almost half of the employees, with some having been there for up to 15 years. In the IT industry, that's almost unheard of!

Cons

Sometimes it feels that we could double the size of the engineering department and yet there would still be things we wouldn't be able to do based on resources. This means that our PMs have to make very hard decisions about what we should be focusing on, and what work we postpone for later.

2. Immersion is AMAZING!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Immersion has been very flexible with work/life balance and my work schedule while I finish my last semester of school. There is so much room for career development and I have no doubt that the leadership team cares about my growth within the company. The people are very intelligent and truly believe in Immersion's mission and vision. The work is challenging yet attainable.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to reach our goals!

3. Intern at Immersion

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Immersion Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with really cool haptic technology; work hours are very lax and the people there are extremely bright. Medium-sized company that retains a lot of the cool aspects of a smaller company.

Cons

Not many other interns; social aspect of the company was missing

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

5. Tentative leadership with a lack of vision

Pros

The people there were very smart. Everyone wanted to work super hard to make good things happen. The benefits were great.

Cons

The leadership didn't seem to have a vision other than creating patents and then protecting them. When they acquired the medical simulation company they didn't seem to know how to foster and grow that business into what it could have been.

Advice to Management

Put all of those patents to use and actually build some products. Assess the market and actually take some risks.

6. Good culture, good work

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time

Pros

More than anything, Immersion is striving. It's investing a lot in new technologies, new employees, current employees, and innovation. And it does all this while maintaining a very reasonable work/life balance. The company is small enough that you can know everyone across all departments, yet large enough to benefit from highly skilled individuals. There is a lot of opportunity to make an impact, both in the company and in the markets the company serves.

Cons

There are some growing pains, especially around managing. As roles grow, and duties change people are sometimes finding themselves managing at a level above their experience.

Advice to Management

Maintain the atmosphere of striving, innovation, and support of change.

7. Its ok

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time

Pros

Great variety of things to work on... Can be really busy and rewarding

Cons

Very less collaboration, people rarely talk to each other

Fun place, supportive management, new technology designed to please customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work with a fun group of professionals who care about designing products that delight end-customers. Management also spends a lot of time making sure that its employees are happy with their jobs while firing on all cylinders to achieve innovation breakthroughs.

Cons

Ability to get on the most interesting and high-visibility projects sometimes limited

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing with the pay, benefits, and great communications, but also keep giving all employees chances to show how they can shine over and over again

Great people and Company has a great future.

Current Employee - Financial in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Financial in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Immersion has great people to work and to collaborate with. There is a great new program where people can share and put in place innovative ideas. It really allows one to make a difference. Also Immersion is small enough that you can get to know people well. The technology is very exciting. Its Haptics technology which is all about touch. The technology gives a lot of feeling to cell phones and makes games more fun. And now there is a lot of market acceptance. Very big customers such as Samsung and Sony pay Immersion for the technology. Immersion has a great future. The Company has now reported significant increases in profitability at the end of 2013. They also have no debt and a lost of cash in the bank. Its great when a company can concentrate on what they do and not have ot worry about not having enough money. Immersion also has great benefits. Those include stock options, restricted stock unit (RSU) grants, a bonus plan, a discounted employee stock purchase plan, a 401k with a great employee match, a great medical plan for employees and their families, a dental insurance plan, a vision plan, a tax free 125 plan for health care and child care, and even free breakfast. A lot of companies seem to have cut back in these areas these days, but not Immersion. Immersion has a lot of people with families that work there. So most all are sympathetic to work/family balance. That is honestly hard to find these days. Immersion people like to work hard for Immersion, but they also enjoy having a lot of time with their family which is so important. Immersion continues to be on a growth trajectory. So there are lots of opportunities in Immersion's future.

Cons

Immersion is a small Company. Every department is small. Hopefully with all of the planned growth there will be more opportunites for advancement as time goes on.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee suggestions. The program to take innovative ideas from employees is great and should be kept and expanded.

Great people, culture, opportunities for development...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at the company full-time for over 4 years now. What keeps me engaged and happy to be here are the people, career development opportunities, relationship with my manager, and being a part of a growing technology company that is in exciting and interesting markets. I get to interact daily with employees in the US, Canada, Asia Pacific and Europe. Due to small company size and having a supportive manager, I’m able to work on company-wide projects and stretch assignments that I might not get the opportunity to work on in a larger organization. There are also great perks and incentives such as a bonus plan tied to individual and company performance, stock, ESPP, great health benefits, fun company events and the monthly breakfast and lunches are always nice too. But the part that makes me look forward to coming to work each day are the people; they are a group of smart, talented and friendly people.

Cons

Due to small company size, resources can be limited at times and some processes could benefit from being automated.

11. Positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Immersion Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming environment, exciting team. Positive experience.

Cons

Location is a little tough if you are on the younger side

RSS Feed </> Embed