Imperial Oil

Be The First To
Add Photos

Imperial Oil CEO Rich Kruger

Rich Kruger

OK company, interesting work environment

I worked at Imperial Oil

ProsI was the Environmental Intern at the Strathcona Refinery. Anyone who enjoys analytical work, law, and computations will enjoy government reporting. Some interesting assignments kept me amused along the way.

ConsOlder work environment, I found it difficult to integrate myself into social circles. I was bored at times, my work duties did not take all of my time.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Plant Operator Co-op student

Plant Operator (Former Employee)

I worked at Imperial Oil as an intern for less than a year

ProsSmart people to work with. Good learning opportunities if you look for the,

ConsRobust learning program needs to be developed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore structured learning plan for co-op students especially plant operators who come in for the first time.

Engineering Intern

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Imperial Oil as an intern for more than a year

ProsWorking with some of the best and brightest engineers in the oil and gas industry.

ConsWork life balance is challenged in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHuman resources skills need improvement in regard to career development.

Great worldwide opportunities

I have been working at Imperial Oil full-time

ProsGlobal link to ExxonMobil
Strong benefits and pension plan
Many careers at same company

ConsLarge corporation and link to ExxonMobil can add some additional management layers.

NOT A PEOPLE ORIENTED COMPANY

I have been working at Imperial Oil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood cafeteria serves descent lightly subsidized meals
On site gym (not free)
Credit Union
Pension plan
Involved with the Calgary Corporate Challenge and United Way Campaigns
Some of the long time employees and managers are amazing
Almost impossible to get fired
Good career change potential
Training (Not all departments)
Work life balance (only select departments)

ConsLow coverage rates for benefits in comparison to other O&G companies
Benefits are hard to claim
HR is nearly useless under all circumstances
Have some extremely under qualified managers
Extremely complex and rigid policies
Compensation is below average (O&G) for many positions
High turnover in many departments
Forced rankings
Corporate infighting
Bad moral
Future office location in the suburbs
Work life balance (Most other departments)
Your job will probably be outsourced in the near future

Advice to Senior ManagementA company with some amazing potential, however lacking the personnel with knowledge, experience, and motivation to make it great.

Excellent

Engineer (Current Employee)
Cold Lake, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Imperial Oil full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunities to expand knowledge and to be involved in one of the biggest companies in the world

ConsRemote locations and pull a lot of hours

Advice to Senior ManagementMore facilities should be provided such as flexibility in transportation.

Serious but stable

Corporate Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Imperial Oil full-time for more than 3 years

Prosstable company with awesome cash position
generally good people, if not a bit stifled
lots of activity and future plans

Consroot bound, older, serious, conservative people unwilling to try new things- the old way has been highly profitable
forced ranking makes for unfairness, and the high flyers get the opportunity
seriously over influenced by majority shareholder ExxonMobil- and they get all the good jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementMajority shareholder does not mean control
Try to break out of the humdrum leadership style
New generation feels smothered by needless checksheet
Controls are good, but sometimes people need to be allowed to be creative
Work life balance not existent for some people

Good to work for, bad for environment

I worked at Imperial Oil as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood pay, many benefits such as travel, training, etc. Good safety culture (can be annoying but stil good)

ConsVery rigid organizational structure. Conservative, obsessed with "company assets" e.g. don't use a company desk to do your own stuff during lunch time.
And, they are one of the worst in the world environmentally, not just by the nature of their industry but they go for compliance and not beyond.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is the 21st Century:
-Rethink how rigid everything is for employees
-Change name to Imperial Renewables and get going with some alternative energy (natural gas doesn't count)

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great experience

Communications Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Imperial Oil full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSolid training. Lots of good people and there is a generous pension plan if you plan to stay with the company for many years.

ConsThe office space changed recently to that of cubicles. There should be more profit sharing and bonuses like other oil and gas companies.

INCONSISTENT OIL

I worked at Imperial Oil full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- Excellent Pay
- Ongoing Training
- Varied cross functional opportunties within Imperial Oil and Exxonmobil

Cons- Poor work/life balance. Although the company encourages work/life balance on paper they do not support it. Employees are continuously expected to attend late night meetings, travel on Sundays, respond to requests from management in the evening/during weekends.
- Inadequate performance appraisal system. Employees are forced into quintile rankings (Q1-Q5). I.e. although a manager may feel that all his/her employees performaed at Q1 and Q2 levels they have to force some of their employees into Q3 or Q4 based on HR's percentage requirements. In addition an employee's annual accomplishments are summed up by his/her manager in a mere 3 minute dialogue with other managers and a HR representative. The more vocal and aggressive an employee's manager is during the session the higher the employee's ranking will be. The current system rewards one based on popularity and company needs (I.e. corporate reolcating employees are automatically ranked as Q1 performers because senior vp or ceo needs to sign off on relocation approval) rather than on factual performance results. This type of forced appraisal system demotivates and pits employees against each other rather than foster teamwork and energize employees.
- Many managers are unfortunately promoted into the management role even though they do not posess the skills and qualities of a leader. Many managers are unfortunately not people oriented and possess a sole contributor focus.
- The company is overly focused on business controls and processes. I.e. there is a process map for everything!!!!. Although I am a strong believer in business controls and processes Imperial Oil overdoes it, more than any organization, including Exxonmobil.
 - Employees with 15-20+ years of experience do not perform the duties they are supposed to but somehow get away with it and are not held to the same standards set for employees with less senority. I won't tell on you and you don't tell on me metality.
- The company believes 'everything' is preventable. As a result, no matter what happens (weather, third party action, etc) managment will not back up the employee although the safety incident or business result was not caused by the employee's actions. This puts many employees on edge and causes uncertainty in one's career.
- Although the company emphasizes that they assist employees in planning their career in reality they do not. Employees are simply moved around from department to department, city to city, based solely on the organization's needs with no formal career planning structure in place. Employees do not know what they are working towards.

Advice to Senior Management- Hold all employees to the same level of accountability despite seniority levels.
- Prior to promoting individuals to management positions ensure they have the want and skill to lead others.
- Get rid of your performace forced ranking system as internal surveys have told you on mulitple occassions that many employees and managers do not like the system. It is also not aligned with other companies in today's workplace.
- Focus less on ticking the box for the sake of ticking the box and focus more on creativity and reacting quicker to the competitive environment.

Worked for Imperial Oil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Imperial Oil reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Imperial Oil CEO Rich Kruger. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Imperial Oil employees.