Imperial Tobacco Canada

Updated January 17, 2015
Updated January 17, 2015
3.3

Marie Polet

If your work directly for imperial . great but if you work for addeco then avoid at all cost.

Former Employee - Replishment Agent in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Replishment Agent in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Imperial Tobacco Canada

Pros

The people you meet. Really great people . Only one likeable supervisor . The others need to get off there high horse.

Cons

Where to start... If you work for addeco. No bonuses. Imperial employees get them but you get Nada. You are there during almost every holiday without the 1.5 paid salary . I worked 2 years in a row for saint jean . you have to work one full year before you get a lousy 2 week vacation. Imperial people get a lot of benefits while you get nothing. There is always parties that only imperial people can attend while you get kicked out of the cafeteria they are eating cheese and drinking wine during work hours. Please avoid this place.

Value your employees and maybe you won't have a turn over rate so high

Imperial Tobacco Canada Review

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco Canada full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great work/life balance in terms of flexibility working from home office
    - Compensation has traditionally been above average
    - Fast-paced work environment provides an exciting day to day work schedule

Cons

- Tobacco Industry is quickly becoming commoditized putting pressure on suppliers to drive additional profits year-over-year without down-sizing
    - Head Office located in Montreal vs. Toronto

job over view for account reps

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco Canada

Pros

pay is not bad, flexible work environment.

Cons

can be busy at times. May be difficult moving up to head office.

A great company to work for with great staff

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Account Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good culture , good managers, good pay, relatively stress-free
    A definite plus is free car, gas, insurance and upkeep

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement or growth. Being part of a ridiculously large international organization , there should be way more opportunity for employees to move around and be relocated.
    Company is too focused in the now instead of the future and is failing to set themselves up for long term growth

Less micro-managing

Great environment, little room for advancement

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome coworkers, great environment, free gym and clinic

Cons

Not the greatest pay, low chance of advancement

Don't sell yourself to the D.

Current Employee - Brand Director in Montreal (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Brand Director in Montreal (Brazil)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco Canada full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary was good when I started but is being degraded annually
    I also have a car allowance
    Most people are pretty decent who work with me
    There is a constant promise of mobility- either international or advancement - but have not seen much real movement - more people being terminated for no reason

Cons

I have worked here for several years now ( over 6) in a senior marketing capacity.
    In that time I have seen volumes and share decline , profits grown by increasing prices and cutting staff and quality of the products. This business goes in one direction - down then out.
    I liked the money and the work was fine. I have been looking to leave for over 18 months but it seems that tobacco has such a bad reputation in terms of providing marketing people skills - ( no digital, no media, no creative, no pricing ....) that it is very difficult to get out of this company
    I would advise anyone who can find a role in another industry to jump now ...

Build the business vs cutting it --- your death by 1000 cuts and lack of vision for brands is killing the company. I dont like how you treat consumers like a bank.

very good

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Imperial Tobacco Canada as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation, Flexibility, stability, respect, work life balance

Cons

too much paperwork, drive from Brasil and UK, was better in the past,

find a new place to grow,

Rudderless....

Current Employee - Marketing in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco Canada full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company makes huge amounts of money so will invest in projects and allow you to lead them, giving good experience Global so if you can get someone's attention you may get an interesting international assignment. But be cautious almost 100% of those who leave Canada to do international work get fired.
    Lots of young people.

Cons

Takes their orders from Brazil. President has little authority must deploy what Brazil tells her. Good example is HR wants to be a top employer in Canada ( I guess they use to be in the 80's or 90'?) but a week after the Brazilian regional team told local HR to reduce wages - all base salaries were cut and annual increases were caped at 1%. Canada's best employer ---NOT!
    Industry is dying and people who work in tobacco have great difficulties getting good jobs afterwards especially in Marketing - no media, no tv, no internet experience---- It like having worked in for a horse and buggy company when Telsa is rolling out electric cars....

Learn to lead vs being led

Besides decent compensation, there is no other reason to work for this company.

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco Canada

Pros

The compensation - you get a company vehicle, pension and benefits. They are slightly better than other similar position in other companies.

Cons

- only pays lip-service to work-life balance. There is none. They say it's not an expectation to complete work on personal time but the workload is not completable without significant infringement on you own petsonal time. When you refuse, it is frowned upon and you are label a poor team player.
    - you can not voice any sort of opinion that is in anyway different from the company lines. If you do, it is very "career-limiting"
    - they will nickel and dime you for everything and anything work related citing "it's not a 9-5 job." But they will refuse to acknowledge that that phrase goes both ways.
    - you will have zero real opportunity for advancement without being a superstar. They will never inform you that this is the case.
    - not all but a large number of the management are arrogant and pompous. They talk to and treat you as if you are second rate sheeps that have to believe every piece of nonsense that they spew.
    - you are expected to own you results but you have very little control over the results.
    - You are actually told that doing your job is not doing your job, your job is actually to do more than your job.

Follow through with your "talk" and treat your employees the way that you say they should be treated - your most valuable resource. When you have a happy and content field force that is when you will win. The field force does the work that pays your salaries and bonuses. When you mistreat us (no matter how you spin it, we know), we will mistreat you in the same way.

ITL

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco Canada full-time

Pros

Good forward achieving company Goal oriented while enhancing a team work environment. Keen sense of market conditions creating company growth in a shrinking sales model. Always employee appreciated and paid well in all levels.

Cons

Very flat organization. Little room to move up in the corporation. Production oriented in a way that supersedes all else.