Imperial Tobacco Reviews

Reset
3.8
Imperial Tobacco CEO Alison Cooper
Alison Cooper

Money driven forget about the people (Avoid).

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco

Pros

-Friendly staff. -Good organisation of the company. -Good track record. -Salary is good. -HAD an attitude of put their staff First. -If u want to dedicate your life to Imperial Tobacco then progression is a option.

Cons

-All about the money, in the process they will eat there own staff to achieve this. -Feels like your owned by the company from the moment you join. -Greedy. -Set unrealistic goals. -Goals keep changing. -Boys club enviroment. -Due to the way the company works, senior staff have no CARE for staff, -The whole atmosphere is extremely NEGATIVE. -If IMPERIAL TOBACCO was a person I reckon they would sell their mothers but only if they made a profit.

Advice to Management

Think about your people that work for you. Dont treat us as battery hens.

Awful experience, every person is miserable, worried about losing their position to others they work with, would never g

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Imperial Tobacco full-time

Pros

The money is excellent as is the benefits but you are selling a product that kills people and that lingers in the place in tearms of peoples attitudes

Cons

cant trust anyone. managers are ruthless cold and a little nasty. never know where you stand and was so happy to get out of the place

3. Neutral with pluses place to work

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Kiev (Ukraine)
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in Kiev (Ukraine)

I worked at Imperial Tobacco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good atmosphere, friendly people, balanced

Cons

lack of innovations, kind of soviet

Great money terrible and repetitive work

Former Employee - Retail Development Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Retail Development Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Imperial Tobacco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary and other benefits and great people to work with.

Cons

Poor management, face fits right job, bullying by managers, nepotism is rife

Advice to Management

Promote best performers and invest in your people

6. Definite pros and definite cons, depends on what you value out of your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time

Pros

This review is for ITUK. They do look after their staff well - good salaries, with an above average pension package as well. The work is challenging, but really interesting and we work with some great big name brands and large customers, which obviously looks great on the c.v.! We have a lovely, new, modern office as well now (free gym, great cafe - delicious food!); the working environment I feel is a definite plus point. The vast majority of people I work with are great; I believe that people you work with can make or break a job. My particular manager is good: collaborative, open to debate and flexible.

Cons

This review is for ITUK. The life balance can be more tipped to the work side, especially as when people leave the company, they tend to not fill the gaps so you find yourself doing 2 jobs. Whilst the company values are in theory good, they are very americanised and as an organisation they better value people who talk the talk rather than those who get their job done. They also offer quite a range of training and personal development (pro), but you may struggle to find any time to attend these (con). There are a lot of people who are 'lifers' and don't realise that the way Imperial works it is not necessarily the way other companies work, so it can be difficult to implement positive changes.

Advice to Management

It is widely acknowledged amongst employees that there is a fundamental lack of decision-making that comes from ITUK senior management. It takes far too long to get stuff signed off!

7. Work life balance

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco

Pros

Teamwork, staff benefit is the best in town

Cons

No business strategy at all

8. lack of opportunities

Current Employee - Procurement in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Procurement in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment and great colleagues. The company is always reinventing its strategies and there is opportunity to make a change and influence

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities at the moment and decision making is very slow, very political and you need to know how to play the game

Advice to Management

Don't promise performing employees about opportunities that will likely not come

Bureaucracy and Ivory Tower syndrome holds back the potential for growth and limits success.

Current Employee - Sales Development Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Outstanding Medical benefits. Somewhat flexible with time. Employees are always open to adapt and follow new strategies. There's will. Stock could be higher if practices are more organized all across the globe.

Cons

They have an Ivory Tower syndrome: Trying to decide from the UK what's best for every market in the world when THEY DON'T KNOW THE LOCAL MARKETS. If you reflect on this, you can see why they're limiting growth and success. Career aspirations are not taken seriously. It is mandatory to include them in the performance appraisals but nothing happens after that. There are no serious budgets for training. Disorganized/ Bureocratic/ politically charged company. Sales and Marketing strategies are weak at best. They keep changing every quarter or so (how are you going to measure success with so little time). The process to get investments approved is ridiculously bureaucratic and inefficient (they confuse being 'cost conscious' with fiscally responsible). Example: You can get a budget approved for a project by all levels. However, they can take away those funds at any point during the project. This creates a lot of risk of work not being delivered as planned and affects many areas of the business. I don't think they believe in best practices.

Advice to Management

Stop the 'DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO' modus operandi. You have great people who are willing to follow leaders with charisma. BE MORE FLEXIBLE WITH MANAGEMENT IN LOCAL MARKETS (especially the US = now your bigger market ) Embrace change

10. personal development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechelen (Belgium)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechelen (Belgium)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco

Pros

people development, constant change, individual contribution

Cons

post integration issues, short term vs long term

Advice to Management

manage change, look at long term, focus on organisational growth

11. Great Company

Current Employee - Sales in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Autonomy, Engaged team. Pleanty of challenge but the ability to get things done and to have fun doing it despite being a controvercial industry. If you come to work here you will be pushed and challenged - but well rewarded. Having worked in other industries, if things get me down, I just think about how much better it is being here!

Cons

Can take a long time to get things done in terms of decisions. Very few cons in my view working in this business

RSS Feed </> Embed