Imperva

Imperva President and CEO Shlomo Kramer

Shlomo Kramer

Poor management

I worked at Imperva full-time

ProsThey have some great hardworking people that are experts in their field.

ConsThe management is lost with no direction. They hired managers with lots of experience who still manage the way they did 20 years ago. In this culture it is ok for managers to disappear for months and come back to only harass and demean everyone around them while being no actual value to the sales cycle.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts hard to give advice when the management is the problem. Poor managers only deflect the problems they create on the people below them.

Has potential, needs serious development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Imperva full-time for less than a year

Pros- Technology has lots of potential
- Still under the radar of most big players
- Some unique selling points

Cons- Still immature
- Work environment very different from anything I have seen in the past 15 years

Advice to Senior Management- Allow professionals to be professionals, or don't onboard them!
- Think big!
- Listen!

Great technology but a horrible place to work - LOOK ELSEWHERE!

Direct Sales (Current Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Imperva

ProsIndustry Leader in their space.

ConsImperva is VERY cut throat and regularly terminates top performers for mysterious reasons. Imperva is also, very, very difficult to do business with from a customer's perspective. Succeeding in this very competitive space is tough enough without constantly having to replace departing team personnel and then playing catch-up to make the ground lost by the rediculous termination of top performing employees. It's always "one step forward and two steps back" and has been this way since 2003 / 2004.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your team members sufficient time to complete their projects and quit changing personnel every 3-6 months.

Not a best place to work

Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

I worked at Imperva full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people, challenging work, good product

ConsMiddle management (team leaders/team managers) have no idea what they are doing or what they should do, put a lot of pressure on team members, as a result of bad management and wrong commitments

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing in management couching, pay attention to your employees, reward them

Worst Job I've ever had. Ever.

Sales (Former Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Imperva full-time for more than a year

ProsGood CEO and great innovative product, Good technical and marketing support when you can get it. Great Tech staff.

ConsManagement maintain a high pressure "boiler room" style environment. Everybody is stressed out even guys who have been there since the early days. Super high staff turnover given the team size. Very much a boys club, Zero investment in staff development or training. Very political.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring talentless low level line managers.

Difficult Place to Work.

Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Imperva full-time for more than a year

ProsShlomo is a leader in the industry and proves it. Great space in the market and top performer in security. The rank and file employees are dedicated and passionate about what they do. Great collaboration in teams and willing to help. Much pride in what everyone does to help customers. Very committed to the success of customers.

ConsThe positive culture in Israel doesn't exist in other locations, especially not in the US. Very long hours, no raises, very short staffed in GA and in services. High turnover in management that leads to a lack of trust overall by the lower level employees and starting over. Work hours are excessive and not recoginized. Travel expectations for field team is unreasonalble due to lack of staff. The corporate office environment is very uncomfortable.

Advice to Senior ManagementShlomo needs to get in touch with the people, seems to be isolated from the field and the issues at hand that will be a deterrent to desired growth.

Senior Product Support Engineer

Senior Product Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Imperva full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's one of the best security companies out there. The CEO is a leader in the security industry and the company is going the right direction.

ConsThe services department lacks engineers, there's a lot of work load and you are expected to work a lot, even if they won't say it officially - there's too much work load and there's not enough people.
In terms of career path they won't invest in their employees, you're are expected to learn about the product and solve cases. They would not send you to other courses and\or certifications. for instance you'd be expected to support auditing on Oracle DBs but they won't send you to an Oracle training (and the list goes on and on).

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring the right people for the job, invest in the people you already have, change the management!!!

High Turnover - there is a reason - check linkedin - don't let them fool you

I worked at Imperva full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some really dedicated and talented people there. Great product and strong marketing team. Shlomo is a key security figure. Salaries are ok, but can be on the cheap end - make sure to negotiate, negotiate, negotiate! Be willing to walk away.

ConsCulture, promotions, they don't really invest in their people...only the select few....who stay. I feel kind of shady company/practices. Management definitely has own agenda, best & only interest = themselves. Bad commute location, bad food, dry environment.

A very political organization

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Imperva full-time for more than a year

ProsImperva was able to attract very smart and skillful people in the past. The pace is very fast and it's a great place to learn. The CEO is very strong and has been very successful in advancing the company.

ConsMistakes are quickly punished, and promotion opportunities seem to be decided more on who you know than what are your skills.

Delay in HR Contract, Crazy Hours, Middle Management Completely Unprofessional- Targets Increase nearly 100 % YoY

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Imperva full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat technology- great CEO.
Good salary and perks

ConsLack of support- no annual reviews- no HR reviews-
Middle management - complete lack of professionalism- sending email alls critisizing staff on several occasions
Huge hours- weekdays and weekends- 70+ hour weeks
Targets completely unrealistic- rose by 80 % YoY- when company is only achieving 30 % growth YoY
Management hiring without any interaction with existing employees where sales teams are very small and getting along is very important- causing much division within teams- shows lack of planning by management
Management ask for feedback, then critisize if any negative feedback given, and do nothing about it

I would not work for this company again if I had the choice- small company feel- complete lack of resources- including presales and professional services to complete orders and assist in POCs during sales cycle. Management live month to month- which will severely impact the companies ability to penerate large federal and state government accounts with longer sales cycles- when I was there Imperva had very high attrition in sales team working in US Canada Fed Govt teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow as the company approaches 500 to 600 employees mew policies need to be enforced to ensure professionalism at ALL levels including management- to ensure professional conduct at all times. Management act unto themselves, not addressing staff concerns- firing instead of fixing problems.
Middle Management must act more professional- or CEO/XO needs to find new middle management who act professional at all times- otherwise staff will continue to leave the organisation for these reasons.

Worked for Imperva? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Imperva reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Imperva CEO Shlomo Kramer. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Imperva employees.