Impinj Reviews

Chris Diorio

Best. Company. Ever.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is the best place I've ever worked by far. The company is filled with people who are both really smart and really nice. Everyone cares about succeeding, doing an excellent job, and creating an outstanding place to work. Management is strategic and has fostered trusting, productive relationships with employees, partners, board, investors, customers, and other key stakeholders. We have the best customers in the world, and exciting things are happening!

Cons

We need a facelift! Luckily, we're getting one in September with a move to a brand new building!

2. Male centric environment; trying to be Amazon

I worked at Impinj full-time

Pros

Great people, good pay, decent benefits. Lots of autonomy.

Cons

Don't expect to get rewarded for hard work if you're a woman. Women don't get ahead at Impinj because executives don't value/promote them. Lots of passive aggressive vibes and things aren't always what they seem. Good culture comes with caveats which are sometimes unspoken.

Advice to Management

Get rid of negative employees faster.

I love this company!

I have been working at Impinj full-time

Pros

Peter Drucker once said that the culture of a company eats strategy for breakfast. And if that is true, Impinj is going to rise to meteoric heights. The people are fantastic. The culture is awesome. Management has made a conscious decision to foster the environment in the company. And it shows. There is no competition amongst employees. People look out for each other. The camaraderie is great. There is laughter in the aisles most of the time. We go to trade shows/conferences and share great times. As mentioned in one of the other reviews, there is not a whole lot of ego going around. Employees want the company to succeed and are very very loyal. Everyday we (as in every employee in the Seattle office) come together in the afternoon to hear how the company did that day. We cheer when there is awesome news. And when there is not so awesome news, we buckle down and go back to work.

Cons

Company is moving in a new direction of selling solutions based on RFID technologies. Along with a new strategy comes a lot of ambiguity. There is additional strain on resources. Some products get more attention than others.

Advice to Management

Pay special attention to the culture that has been fostered for so long. Do not take your eyes of this main strengths(loyal employees and great community) of the company.

Skillful employees who are team players and leave their egos at the door.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Impinj full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of the people are easy to work with and great team players. They are really laid back and helpful. For example, I was just given a bug to fix in an area I didn't know about and a coworker (on his own initiative) offered to help ramp me up. The culture here is such that we work to help each other succeed and that is a rare commodity. Their Unlimited vacation policy helps reduce my stress level. I work long hours because I want to do a really good job around here and just knowing I can take time off when I need it is a great perk. They are also a Leader in their technology and are developing new game changing products.. It is a really exciting time to be here.

Cons

Resource Constrained.. This is a small company (~160 people). Money and Resources are *tight*. What this means is a new high priority issue comes up and people are reassigned to work on that new projec.

Advice to Management

Try to commit to finishing projects before reassigning to other projects that are new and shiny.

6. Great place to work

Pros

Good people. Good benefits.

Cons

Not all teams are the same

Good people, still a startup

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great people working there, it's very easy to talk to people in other groups and they always make you feel welcome. Very casual work environment, no firm work hours for most of the company. Happy hour get together every Wednesday at a local bar was always fun. Nice holiday parties. Free beers at each company-wide meeting. The free public transit passes they provide are nice. Hard to find a better company that is focused on real electrical/electronics engineering in Seattle.

Cons

It seemed like people were too casual sometimes, making it hard to get work done (especially when another group has formed near your cubicle and started to talk). They haven't made it big time so their compensation isn't incredible, they are still a startup. More recently, scary drastic layoffs by a management that wants to appear proactive by shaking things up.

Advice to Management

It seems like there is a bit of executive/board-level drama going on that isn't well addressed and can seem ominous to the average employee. While it may not be possible to explicitly explain what's going on at that level, it's worth being aware of. A lot of the engineering teams seem overworked and yet Impinj continues to take on new projects and stretch itself even thinner.

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Impinj full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a fantastic team that works at Impinj, some amazing people that quickly became friends. Bagel Fridays and beer at the company meetings were a nice touch. The directors are very supportive of growth and development.

Cons

Very volatile hiring/layoff cycles. Very top heavy. Pay was not keeping up with the market. Stuck on same project for years on end, difficult to change position.

Great company, leaders in a growing industry

I have been working at Impinj full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are awesome - smart, talented, collaborative and overall GREAT. Management displays a good amount of transparency. Perks include unlimited time off, bonuses for biking/busing/walking to work, tuition/training reimbursement, lots of fun events that give you the opportunity to relax and get to know your coworkers.

Cons

For years the RFID industry didn't take off as expected so major career advancements could be tough due to little internal growth.

10. A company with a lot of potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Impinj full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Emerging technology, bagel Fridays, quarterly company events, stock options. Impinj also offers an open paid time off policy that the company values for their employees. CEO has a clear vision.

Cons

Mid-management lacks communication and training engagement with employees, in other words you are pretty much left to fend for yourself and believe it is a result of growing pains. Lots of water cooler talk as well which is not professional.

Advice to Management

Make yourselves available to train your employees and better engagement to make sure new employees have proper knowledge and tools to succeed.

Very good experience with a good company.

Former Employee - Senior Communication Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Communication Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Impinj full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people working in an enthusiastic, supportive environment. Best products in their market. Great location in Seattle's Fremont neighborhood. If UHF RFID ever really takes off, Impinj is poised to take the world by storm.

Cons

UHF RFID market hasn't grown as anticipated. Salaries are ok but not great. Too many layers of management for the current size of the company. Small cubicle workspaces.

RSS Feed </> Embed