Imprev

www.imprev.com

Imprev Reviews

4.7

Renwick Congdon

Excellent technical leadership. Great people.

Current Employee - Software Engineer/Dev Lead in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer/Dev Lead in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Imprev as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Imprev is probably the most congenial place you could hope to work. From top to bottom the company is filled with good people who cooperate daily to get things done.

My experience is mostly with the software side of the business, which is very well led. Development is "pull" scheduled, and it is uncommon for developers to work overtime. A healthy sized QA team ensures that developers have plenty of support testing releases prior to customer release. The operations side is buttoned up and developers do not have on call rotation.

Cons

Developers must work with a significant legacy code base, although work is in progress to re-platform some parts of the system. The consensus based culture results in a somewhat conservative environment.

Continue allowing the technical team to modernize the system. The business is being held back by decade old code.

A challenging and engaging place to work

Former Employee - Java Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Imprev full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, a diverse set of technologies, challenging problems, and a strong desire for process improvement.

The team I was on was always seeking to be more Agile and adaptable. My opinion, and those of everyone else on the team, mattered to management and they would actually act on our advice. Imprev is the type of company where you can be a catalyst for change.

The culture is also a very positive experience. Everyone is friendly and there were plenty of company lunches, events and beer o' clocks.

The management is also easy to talk with. You can walk into the CEO's office and soapbox your new great idea or chat about a frustration you are having. The management also wants to do everything in their ability to make you productive.

Cons

The culture is very interactive and might not fit for someone that is used to working in isolation.

My advice to management is to keep pursuing excellence in engineering and not lose the desire to continually iterate and improve.

An excellent learning environment

Current Employee - Front-End Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Front-End Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Imprev as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small, collaboration-minded technology team. Positive atmosphere fosters a community-feel in which I've never feel uncomfortable asking questions or stating my [many] opinions. Have never heard of anyone being forced to work much more than the standard work-week's worth of hours - which lends itself to having a team of happy developers.

Cons

Imprev is a relatively-small company, which means that developers may end up wearing several hats. While this is sometimes good (I'd like to think I like to learn new things), I have found myself in the need of specialists (an in-house designer and UX expert) that Imprev doesn't yet have.

Work hard to keep the great managerial and development talent that you already have!

Great summer internship experience

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Imprev as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The interview process struck a good balance between examining technical skills and getting to know the Imprev team.

The daily stand up meeting each morning really helped me stay on track with my work.

I was primarily hired for QA testing, but I was given projects in other areas from time to time; These projects were great in that they provided variety in my work at the company.

Co-workers were always ready to answer any questions I had about test cases, tool, etc.

Cons

I remember that the job posting was somewhat vague, but a little independent research clarified any questions I had about the company.

My experience with the management was great. The aforementioned stand up meetings helped keep my work in perspective. Also, my some of my projects branched out into other areas of the company, and the management did a good job of facilitating those interactions.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Developer

I worked at Imprev

Pros

1. Not a sweat shop like other start ups. It's a very relaxed environment
    2. Lots of great technical skills on the team
    3. Very team oriented - great acceptance of Scrum, XP - pair programming and self managed
    4. Very accommodating when time off is needed.
    5. Company paid lunches and Celebrations
    6. Company investment in the growth of the developers (trainings, conferences)
    7. Excellent hardware and tools!
    8. Plenty of opportunity to learn new technology stacks and introduce what you know.

Cons

1. Being a small company - there isn't much room for Career growth. This will improve as company grows and expands.

In bigger more structured companies, employee reviews occur quarterly or sometimes even more frequently. Imprev did one review a year - a more frequent feedback is always appreciated.

Otherwise - keep up the good work!

Imprev is a growing company, but management was unresponsive. Couldn't get feedback -especially positive feedback.

I worked at Imprev

Pros

Small office in good location near freeway, shopping centers, etc. Easy free parking. Some of the work is fun and satisfying to see in action. Free lunch once a week, nice co-workers.

Cons

No positive feedback, not enough guidance, favoritism, nepotism, they are "clock-watchers" when they claim not to be, stingy about time off (make you feel guilty for taking time off). Not clear who is the boss of whom. Managers don't offer the support you need. The software was buggy and hard to deal with. All take and no "give". No room to grow.

Get new managers (I think they have, so maybe things have improved).