In-N-Out Burger

In-N-Out Burger Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

In-N-Out Burger President Lynsi Martinez

Lynsi Martinez

Pros:
  • "Friendly coworkers, great pay, great place for a part-time gig"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Good Pay, great learning experience, teaches good work ethic"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Fast-paced, which can get very difficult, especially in my store, which is just off the freeway"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Selective of full time candidates"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

fantastic

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Temecula, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time for less than a year

Prosvery good food at a great value and fairly quick

Consit can get packed and full

Advice to Senior Managementi think they're doing a good job as is

Good Experience at In-n-out

San Ramon, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time for more than a year

ProsIn n out provided me with a good salary for someone with no experience in the restaurant industry. It was a very fast paced environment which helped me with my customer service skills. I also learned how to multi task here.

ConsThe work environment is extremely stressful and hectic. You are constantly on your feet and sometimes it can be overwhelming and get the best of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Shift Manager

Shift Manager (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger full-time for more than 10 years

ProsConsistent emphasis on training and development and integrity of product quality, exceptional service, and cleanliness of environment. Amazing company culture and history, and ample opportunities for growth and success for its people.

ConsUnder poor leadership, the individual store performance struggles and can be detrimental to store's well being in the long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify discrepancies and investigate more aggressively to minimize damage to stores resulting from poor work ethic or dishonest practices.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for, friendly environment

Store Associate (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree burgers for lunch
Store picnic and parties
good pay for a fast food restaurant
opportunities are always available to move up

ConsAt some stores there is very little job rotation. You will tend to be stuck in the same position all day, or even all year.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinuous training is necessary. And management needs to be trained to respect their associates.

Favoritism Over Hard Work

Escondido, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the employees are lovely people to work with, other employers are happy to hear you worked for In N Out, You get a free meal with each shift (not including shakes, more than two meat patties, or two slices of cheese), everyone is wearing the same outfit, and it's completely unflattering so you don't have to worry about girls/guys judging your body (they can't see it) I liked the forced modesty. Customers were typically friendly and happy to be there, they hold In N Out employees in high esteems. I made some nice friends who are all very different. The diversity is awesome. I respect the Christian faith the C.E.O. Lynsi Torres brings into the privately owned company. The upper management are wonderful people, genuinely wanting to help better the service being provided. There are many different events the company puts on for the employees as well, creating unity. I admire the generosity. One Day I will own a successful business. Working at In N Out has enlightened me on how to improve a grand business.

ConsTo be blunt, the store managemt did not treat majority of the employees well, and let their favoritism over look many things that were considered "unacceptable" to the company. I would like to believe other In N Out stores are far less reliant on favoritism, and valued the hard work, and good character of their employees, but I most certainly cannot say that about the store I worked at. The managers appeared to be reading from a script that mad them politically correct, but when the script was done and they added a few of their own words, it was plain to see the In N Out values were not theirs. When I was hired I was told if I worked hard, asked for help, advice, and was providing excellent service, I could "move up the totem pole." This most definitely was not the case. There was a lot of drama. I suppose it is fast food, but I expected more from In N Out. I noticed the spirit of joy in providing great service fell in many of the people around me as they realized they would have to suck up to the managers and spend time with their favorite group of people outside of work to get promoted. While it would seem a nice idea to have a sense of community, all they really did was talk about each other behind their backs. One manager in particular took a great dislike to me. No one knew why, but yes, everyone appeared to notice, and ask me why I let her treat me the way she did. I came to work to provide excellent service for a paycheck, not to have childish bickering with a childish manager. I have a lack of respect in the idea that someone who behaves so poorly can become a manager and be expected to reap amazing results. That just sounds like and equation for disaster. A manager that is not good with high stress situations should not be a manager, sadly, those are the kinds of managers at this store. The main store manager was very uninvolved in the unity of the store, I wonder if he knew that was on his script. Oddly enough, these are only the very surface details of the problems at store 247. I feel liberated. Now that I don't work there. My hard work is actually appreciated now. When I own my own business, I will surely be on the lookout for mishaps like these that can strain the success of my company, and my employers well being.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management should ask the employees how they are being treated, how their employment can be improved, and most importantly give advice for how us as individuals trying to promote the positive image of In N Out, can better do our jobs, and improve our service. This would put pressure on the store managers to treat their employees equally. I appreciate all the hard work I see in the Upper management, and hope they can gain a helpful perspective.

Good For A While...Then Goes Downhill

Newbury Park, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast-paced, good exercise (depending on what you're doing that day), good food, free meals, better than minimum-wage jobs.

ConsPoor management, increasingly strenuous working conditions, highly repetitive tasks, store closes late (which means working til 2am or later on closing shifts), strict grooming requirements (short hair required, no facial hair or stubble), must deal with the (more than) occasional rude/obscene customer, and employees are not valued above the bottom-line (always driven hard to reach sales goals that give monetary bonuses to management, but nothing to employees).

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value employees more than the bottom line, show concern for their well-being, and regularly increase pay rates according to increases in company profit in order to foster positive bonds between employees and the company. Once your employees believe that doing what is best the company is directly connected to what is best for them personally, both parties will be truly successful. Until then, high employee turn-over rates and low moral will plague In-n-Out and drag the company down in the long-run.

Fantastic starter job for me

Level IV (Former Employee)
Carlsbad, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time for more than 5 years

ProsFast paced job with little downtime to keep your head off the clock. Future employers were excited about my customer service experience learned at In N Out. Other employees are a pleasure to work with and everyone smiles! Josh James is a great guy and a better manager

ConsExhausted after a long day!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up you're doing a great job

Best job ever!

Barstow, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger full-time for less than a year

ProsI Love my job! The people I work with are great! And my managers really pushed me to get to my level two.

ConsI can't think of any cons of working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the employees how we are doing more often.

I am blessed!!

Level II (Current Employee)
Modesto, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time for less than a year

ProsWorking at In-N-Out Burger is a blessing. There is a strong team-oriented atmosphere with your fellow associates and after a while everyone becomes family. In-N-Out values the customer and does not take them for granted. In-N-Out's main priority isn't about money like many other fast-food restaurants, In-N-Out makes sure that it is all about the customer receiving quality food and services in a spotless sparkling environment. As an associate of any level, you are empowered to make sure the customers are taken care of, and you don't have to get the manager for everything. If you are capable of taking care of the customers need (i.e. replacing a wrong order) you have the empowerment to do that yourself. Training is great, everyone has a positive attitude and minimum wage is $10.50!! It is a great job with very flexible hours, great for students or people working 2 jobs.

ConsI honestly have nothing negative to say about this company. I would recommend anyone to apply to work here, it is like nowhere you have or will work at again.

Great place to work at for a Student

Level III (Current Employee)
Newbury Park, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time for less than a year

ProsWorking at at this company taught me how to work hard.
Good pay for working in the fast food industry

ConsHaving to work in a High stress environment
Working late a night
serving large numbers of people
doing the same job over and over again

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Worked for In-N-Out Burger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at In-N-Out Burger reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for In-N-Out Burger CEO Lynsi Martinez. All 198 reviews posted anonymously by In-N-Out Burger employees.