In-N-Out Burger
www.in-n-out.com Irvine, CA 5000+ Employees

In-N-Out Burger Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Friendly coworkers, great pay, great place for a part-time gig"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Good Pay, great learning experience, teaches good work ethic"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Fast-paced, which can get very difficult, especially in my store, which is just off the freeway"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Selective of full time candidates"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Hesperia, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger

Prosgood pay and opportunities to move up within the company. where good when it came to customer service and cleanliness.

ConsSends employees home after working a hour, Didn't train just threw me out there to figure things out on my own, and wouldnt work around school schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with employees school schdules since you pride yourself on family and school coming before work. And train employees properly.

Stressful and generally not worth it

Associate (Former Employee)
Westwood, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time for less than a year

Pros- The starting pay at this particular store was $12/hour, which is insanely amazing
- Free burger, fries, and drink every day that you work

Cons- Favoritism: If you aren't a manager's pet, you'll see yourself get reprimanded for things other people do all the time
- Expected to be nice and peppy to the point of fakeness while managers themselves are rude and not motivating in the least
- Extremely strict dress code, once got in trouble for wearing ankle socks instead of mid calf socks (oh the horror)
- Some days you get off two hours early, the next you're held over your scheduled time by two hours without any notice
- Sometimes you aren't given breaks at all
- You will personally be mocked and made uncomfortable if you work at this particular store
- You will be shown once, very quickly how to perform a task, and then expected to do it yourself, just as quickly, without making a single mistake. To put it simply, the training definitely needs to improve
- A lot of the store's procedures lack efficiency
- You'll stink of burgers even after a shower
- Managers give you a hard time for things you have no control over
- Employees will actually tell on you for things, and once again, if the manager likes them more than you, you'll get in trouble for it
- Managers behave extremely unprofessionally
- Takes forever to move up
- Every manager acts as though they own the world when they flip burgers for a living

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek new management for store 119 and weed out employees who are terrible at their job but move up because they party with the managers on the weekends.

Great Job for students. Not for someone looking for a stable job.

Order Puller (Former Employee)
Long Beach, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time for less than a year

ProsGood Pay. Starting at 10 an hour with advances at every level.
Lots of responsibility (for a burger joint)
Room to move up.

ConsNo hours. This is actually why I had to leave. I had 6 hours a week by the end of my employment, and I was a good employee; getting 4 raises in 3 months.
If you are a student its great but if you need to pay rent and bills you won't be able to afford to stay with them

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less employees for more hours.

Good experience, not for everyone.

Level 7 (Current Employee)
Hesperia, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey work around your school schedule, and are with letting you have some days off. Starting pay is above average for fast food at $10 an hour. You get free meals when you work. Flexible with hours, and you gain customer service experience in a fast paced work environment.

ConsThe managers have favorites, and will not discipline them, and move them up faster. Stressful work environment, you have a manager yelling at you almost everyday, even if you are doing a good job. Labor intensive work, especially if you are a cook you will be worked very hard. Lots of drama and politics involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you decide you want drama and rumors to end, please don't encourage them by gossiping with associates. I have had multiple occasions where I have been presented with rumors about others from managers who feed into this past-time. Also, they take favorites and can be very rude and unprofessional to those they dislike, almost like I'm in a high school setting.

Great high school-kind of job

Associate Level V (Current Employee)
Tustin, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time for more than 5 years

ProsCo-workers are down to earth.
Everyone wants to see you succeed.
Super flexible hours.
Most associates are in early 20's.
Great business model.

ConsThe work is very hard manual labor and is extremely repetitive.
Every day is a chance of some sort of injury.
Everyone wants to take the role of a leader so there is a lot of disagreements and colliding views.
Sometimes you have to work outside using a handheld in the hot sun for 6+hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers sometimes like to play favorites with their associates. I understand that those who work harder than the rest will be praised more but equal treatment to all associates would allow a more positive environment for growth.

Fun working with friends. If you're just wanting a part-time job, it's great! HoweverI would not recommend a career here

Level 6 (Current Employee)
Orem, UT

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent starting pay
Flexible schedule
Paid holidays (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas)
Really good benefits for full-timers, for part-time they offer good vision, and dental insurance.

ConsIt sucks working late night shifts all the time.
Open until 1am on weekdays and 130am on weekends, so if you close be prepared to become an insomniac.
Managers often make false promises.
Very political
A lot of gossip in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't waste people's time. I wanted to make a career out of In N Out, and have been working towards becoming a manager for the last 2 years. I've been put on the back burner several times it seems like, and have even been passed up by other associates who had done nothing, training wise, to be promoted. Dishonest upper management participates in rumor spreading and gossiping.

good first job when you are still going to school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger

Prosyou can have flexible hours

Consno health benefit if not full-time.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the hours flexible as the way it is right now

Fun, Hard Work, Good Job

Level III (Former Employee)
Simi Valley, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time for more than a year

ProsFree burger per shift, good pay

ConsLow hours, busy days, lots of rude people

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hours would be very nice

Great time!

Level 7 (Former Employee)
Centerville, UT

I worked at In-N-Out Burger full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company really took care of the associates. The best benifits package I have had and fun activities like the "family picnic" are just a few.

ConsSometimes you don't get along with the managers as they are often young and inexperienced outside of In-N-Out.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize outside of In-N-Out management experience. It will help you get QUALIFIED. Managers

INO

Associate (Current Employee)
Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible scheduling helps with school

Cons3 hour shifts make it not even worth going.

Worked for In-N-Out Burger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at In-N-Out Burger reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for In-N-Out Burger CEO Lynsi Martinez. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by In-N-Out Burger employees.