In-N-Out Burger

Updated January 28, 2015
4.2

In-N-Out Burger President Lynsi Martinez
Lynsi Martinez

Pros
  • Hours are great, fast paced work never a dull moment so work goes by fast, Great pay starts at (in 45 reviews)

• Good Pay, great learning experience, teaches good work ethic (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, hard work , very fast paced, dealing with difficult customers (in 19 reviews)

• Hard to become a full time worker, due to them being required to offer health benefits after a certain amount of hours (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Wow?

I worked at In-N-Out Burger

Pros

Great leadership and great salaries and benefits. I loved working here while I was in college. I would recommend this company to all young men and women

Cons

I really can't think of any.

None

Great company to work for, but be willing to WORK for it.

Current Employee - Level V in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Level V in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of customers can be fun. We get lots of tourists, even occasional celebrities. Free burgers. Get to learn the "secret menu". The pay is great considering it's fast food. INO prides itself in always giving more than minimum wage. Awesome first job (if you're up for it). Family owned (not a chain) so it still has strong core values. Believes in community service/ charity. Everyone gets Easter, Thanksgiving and Xmas off. There's also benefits available and room for advancement. Training is better than other places I've worked, they really push you to move up levels (at least at my store). Most coworkers are friendly, supportive and motivated. Scheduleing can be flexible if you're a student/ religious/ have another job. Offers company picnics/ events and awards (theme parks, gift cards, sport tournaments). Fast-paced environment (can be a pro or con). It's the most demanding job I've had but my favorite so far.

Cons

Expect to work long hours/ late (clocking out at 2am on a closing shift). Strict dress code and policies (pro when it comes to quality). Some people say you gain weight from eating burgers haha but INO does offer discounted gym memberships. I'm part-time so I usually work 6hr shifts. Full time can work 8+hr shifts. So if your schedule says 11-3 they can keep you longer. I learned to live with it (more hrs = more money) but it seems to bug a lot of people. I've noticed management/ advancing can get political and cause drama. Also, seems to be more men than women in management, but that's just an observation. The customers can be very specific and rude or have no idea what to order and then blame you for not getting what they wanted. But you have to learn how to deal with people at any job. It makes the nice customers that much better to serve.

Practice what you preach. I feel some managers are not consistent or clear in their expectations. They always push to be faster yet still want to give customers the best quality/ experience. They seem to forget that there needs to be a balance and they only care about #s for the day. There's big training on communication and teamwork, but sometimes forget to set good examples. Remember that EVERYONE started from the same spot and we are all equals. We need level ones just as much as a level 6.

Hard Work

Current Employee - Level V in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Level V in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay, lots of gifts and parties

Cons

Closing shifts are brutal and you work like a dog.

Very direct path.

Fry cook

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger

Pros

Pay
    Food
    Vacation
    Friends
    Break

Cons

Really Really Hectic schedule during weekends

Great burgers!

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger

Pros

The burgers are above average
    The service was great
    The secret menu is fun, I like the animal fries
    Their milkshakes are good
    The store is nice and clean

Cons

Seating can be hard to find sometimes when it is super crowded, but that's it

Former Employee - Level III Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Level III Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a fun, fast-paced environment. As a 19-year-old its freaking fun! Everyone loves In N Out and I just loved servicing the people! Great experience if you keep a positive attitude. It's a fast-food restaurant, therefore you have to deal with awesome and not so awesome customers.

Cons

Since there is levels, higher levels treat lower levels like they were high school freshmen. It's immature.

Keep working ethically!

I loved working for this company.

Former Employee - Level V
    Former Employee - Level V

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Management is capable, understanding, and flexible. Potential for quick growth through company. Training is thorough and efficient. Treat their employees with good benefits, paid vacation, awards, gifts, and parties.

Cons

Results vary with each store. I had a wonderful experience working for my store, however I never transferred or worked anywhere else. So there is potential for some bad crews out there, however I do not know this for a fact. There is also some late night work.

Keep up the hard work!

Associate

Current Employee - Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very fun place to work. Almost all coworkers are super friendly and outgoing. Management was great and fair with scheduling

Cons

Takes a while to move up levels and pay is too low on the lower levels. Wish there was a faster process of moving up for the hard working individuals

Pretty Good for Entry Level

Current Employee - Level 6 in La Mirada, CA
    Current Employee - Level 6 in La Mirada, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good starting pay, flexible schedules good people to work with, excellent opportunities out side of stores

Cons

High stress work, wired hours, crazy customers, hard to get in jobs outside of stores

Remember that your lower level associates are the backbone of the operation that make you money, take care of them!

Excellent First Job

Former Employee - Associate Level IV in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Associate Level IV in Sparks, NV

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, Free meal every time you clock in, Flexible schedule, Learn how to say the term "Right on" a ton

Cons

Never sure when you're gonna get off, always busy

N/A