In-N-Out Burger

www.in-n-out.com
Profile Unclaimed

Great company to work for, but be willing to WORK for it.

Current Employee - Level V in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Level V in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of customers can be fun. We get lots of tourists, even occasional celebrities. Free burgers. Get to learn the "secret menu". The pay is great considering it's fast food. INO prides itself in always giving more than minimum wage. Awesome first job (if you're up for it). Family owned (not a chain) so it still has strong core values. Believes in community service/ charity. Everyone gets Easter, Thanksgiving and Xmas off. There's also benefits available and room for advancement. Training is better than other places I've worked, they really push you to move up levels (at least at my store). Most coworkers are friendly, supportive and motivated. Scheduleing can be flexible if you're a student/ religious/ have another job. Offers company picnics/ events and awards (theme parks, gift cards, sport tournaments). Fast-paced environment (can be a pro or con). It's the most demanding job I've had but my favorite so far.

Cons

Expect to work long hours/ late (clocking out at 2am on a closing shift). Strict dress code and policies (pro when it comes to quality). Some people say you gain weight from eating burgers haha but INO does offer discounted gym memberships. I'm part-time so I usually work 6hr shifts. Full time can work 8+hr shifts. So if your schedule says 11-3 they can keep you longer. I learned to live with it (more hrs = more money) but it seems to bug a lot of people. I've noticed management/ advancing can get political and cause drama. Also, seems to be more men than women in management, but that's just an observation. The customers can be very specific and rude or have no idea what to order and then blame you for not getting what they wanted. But you have to learn how to deal with people at any job. It makes the nice customers that much better to serve.

Practice what you preach. I feel some managers are not consistent or clear in their expectations. They always push to be faster yet still want to give customers the best quality/ experience. They seem to forget that there needs to be a balance and they only care about #s for the day. There's big training on communication and teamwork, but sometimes forget to set good examples. Remember that EVERYONE started from the same spot and we are all equals. We need level ones just as much as a level 6.

Associate

Current Employee - Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very fun place to work. Almost all coworkers are super friendly and outgoing. Management was great and fair with scheduling

Cons

Takes a while to move up levels and pay is too low on the lower levels. Wish there was a faster process of moving up for the hard working individuals

Pretty Good for Entry Level

Current Employee - Level 6 in La Mirada, CA
    Current Employee - Level 6 in La Mirada, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good starting pay, flexible schedules good people to work with, excellent opportunities out side of stores

Cons

High stress work, wired hours, crazy customers, hard to get in jobs outside of stores

Remember that your lower level associates are the backbone of the operation that make you money, take care of them!

Excellent First Job

Former Employee - Associate Level IV in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Associate Level IV in Sparks, NV

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, Free meal every time you clock in, Flexible schedule, Learn how to say the term "Right on" a ton

Cons

Never sure when you're gonna get off, always busy

N/A

Flexible, Good for college students

I worked at In-N-Out Burger part-time

Pros

- Friendly environment
    - Good pay
    - Flexible Schedule

Cons

- High stress environment
    - Difficult to move into a full time position

level 2

Current Employee - Level II in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Level II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

great pay. great co workers. great team work if you know how to work as a team.

Cons

training is offered to the favorite one first. same with recognitions in store meetings and hours in the schedule. you could get few hours a week while the fav get full time and nice hours.
    most of the customers are rude in this store.

i think store managers should support all of their employees the same way and respect should be there all the time.
    when I saw my manager discussing with my co worker (who could be his mother) in a childish way, I lost respect for him. I do not know how such an immature person could be a store manager. well, I guess mistakes happen.

Very friendly work environment with respectful associates and managers.

Current Employee - Associate Level V in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Level V in San Jose, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great energy at work with like minded people and great customers. Training could be improved. It can get very political and not based on merit.

Cons

Training is often based on favoritism opposed to merit.

If an associate has exceeded target hours. Evaluate whether or not there is a legitimate reason to keep them at their current level. If not, make training a priority.

In n out is such a team environment, very fast paced always busy and have something to do. It's been a ok job so far but I'm starting to love it more

Current Employee - In N Out Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - In N Out Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is great! If you love fast paced then that's one perk , always being busy and talking to people. Great training on your job.

Cons

How busy and stressed you can get, customers rudeness and un clearness of their orders. Also our breaks are super short not enough time.

More training and focus on the employees more

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned and has good employee benifits.

Cons

Super fast paced, can be stressful when short handed.

Great company

I have been working at In-N-Out Burger

Pros

Outstanding benefits
    Great Pay
    Expansion
    Opportunity for advancement
    Only promotes from within

Cons

Late hours
    Only closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.