In-Shape Health Clubs

In-Shape Health Clubs Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Morton Rothbard

Great Experience

General Manager (Former Employee)
Vallejo, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree Gym Membership, Great atmosphere

ConsAll sales driven. you have to make a ton of phone calls. If you don't sell memberships, reach goal. YOU GET $8 PR HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaul, DM in the Vacaville area is a GOOD Manager.

Great company if you're "buddy-buddy" with senior management. The "drones" at the club level are EASILY expendable.

Membership Counselor (Former Employee)
Pittsburg, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time for more than a year

ProsFree club membership for employees, with modern equipment to "get fit."

ConsIf your not a "decision-maker" your just another face in the crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize where your successes originates from.

As a group ex instructor for 10 yrs, they are a mediocre employer.

Group Exercise Instructor (Current Employee)
Antioch, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time for more than 8 years

ProsFree membership to use the facilities, even if you work part time.

ConsMandatory meetings that are rushed through, including CPR re-certification where things are passed over quickly. Supervisor seems uncomfortable holding meetings & appears to just want to "get them over with."
Customers repeated complaints about yoga classrooms not being warm are not taken care of or heat is increased temporarily and then A/C blasts the next week.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake customer concerns more seriously. Come talk to the class yourself or call customers after receiving emailed complaint. Sit in on Group Exercise Instructor meetings and make suggestions for improvement to Supervisor.

The Worst Business Practices

Membership Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time for more than a year

ProsGym membership, work environment, and members

ConsMembership Counselor (MC) pay structure is below poverty. The information in the “salary tab” on this website is incorrect. They pay $8.00 hourly or commission whichever is more. In-Shape (IS) manipulates the system so they do not have to provide medical benefits to full-time employees by keeping their hours work lower than 40 hrs. Too much work to complete within an 8 hour day if you are producing. Employees will be written up if they do not clock out within 8 hours. Nevertheless, they are expected to work on their “own time” to complete paperwork before they can leave for the day. Otherwise they will be punished by way of getting yelled at or being setup for production failure one way or another the next working day or week. Upper management is never satisfied if a team is doing well, instead they find something else that needs to be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can continue with many more cons, but there is a minimum word count. The company itself needs a new up dated corproate business structure. The payroll department needs an overhaul. There is no reason for employees to have to do extra work by keeping personal records and having to prove their sales in order to be paid the correct amount due on each paycheck.

Great company, great experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs full-time for more than a year

ProsWith the company growing so quickly, it's easy to advance. They like to hire internally, so if you work hard, you will have plenty of opportunities.

ConsLike any company, there are politics involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Front Desk Work

Front Desk (Former Employee)
Antioch, CA

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs part-time for more than a year

ProsFree gym membership for employees, which is a money saver. The staff is very friendly and easy to work with. Usually there is a lot of down time during the afternoons, so depending on what time your shift is, you can do other things (e.g. homework, if you are a student). Training is easy, and overall the job is not too hard.

ConsPay is low, with no raise, ever. Worked there for over two years without a single raise. You have to stand during your entire shift, and sometimes you are not allowed a break. Dealing with customers is horrible at times, especially for those trying to cancel memberships or sneak in to the club.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more than one worker to the front desk. There should be at least 2 at all times.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Ok experience after almost two years employeed.

Sales Counselor (Current Employee)
Monterey, CA

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs

ProsGreat facilities to sale. Potential growth within. Pleasant environment to work in. Members are great.

ConsWay to political. Extremely clickish. Regional & District management in certain regions have no empathy for employee matters. Sr. Managers aren't on the same page all the time when delivering sales messages. Certain Regional & District managers don't come from Sales background so they're unknowledged on sales practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the owners Rob Farrens and Paul Rothbard, chose management wisely. Recommendations for these positions are kept within certain cliques. Certain District and Regional Managers are incompatent at their positions regarding sales. They should go through sales training as well.

A good start, but keep resume ready to move on to something better

Sales/Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at In-Shape Health Clubs

ProsFree health club membership - employees are encouraged to work out on a regular basis.

ConsManagement is disjointed and, at times, disinterested (think in terms of "mental lockjaw"). There is absolutely no career path for those who wish to get into management in the corporate office. Pay scale is well below the minimum for the positions. No defined scope of territory in the area of senior management - can't tell who is in charge of what.

Morton Rothbard is no longer in charge of day-to-day company management, though he maintains an interest. Son Paul is doing a passable job, but seems distracted and more irritated at having to journey from his home in the San Francisco area to the Central Valley for several days a week. Questionable choices made in the hiring of some senior corporate management members.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how committed you are to making this a successful company (it has that potential). If you simply want to build clubs and have no vested interest in how employees feel, then please sell it to another chain.

Too much work for too little payP

Maintenance Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs

ProsGood benefits if you could afford them off the small pay.

ConsToo much work for too little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees better and they would stay longer

unless your going to be in management..steer clear

Front Desk (Current Employee)

I have been working at In-Shape Health Clubs

Prosfree gym membership, oppurtunities for commision and you can still have a social life.

Consminimum wage, no benefits, shifts are limited to 4-5 hours a day, unorganized company

Advice to Senior Managementemployees definitely deserve more compensation for the amount of work they are expected to do.

Worked for In-Shape Health Clubs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at In-Shape Health Clubs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for In-Shape Health Clubs CEO Morton Rothbard. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by In-Shape Health Clubs employees.