InComm

Updated December 19, 2014
2.9

InComm President & CEO Brooks Smith
Brooks Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance is excellent (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of cool projects, very nice people, great location (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No one willing to reach out and help you understand the company (in 7 reviews)

• Upper Management Team has no real respect nor appreciation for those that work under them (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

This firm need restructuring

Former Employee - Lead Security Analyst
    Former Employee - Lead Security Analyst

I worked at InComm full-time

Pros

Base salary is good and compensation is comparable with industry standard

Cons

I worked there as info security personal and the focus was miss placed

A bit chaotic, but this is as a result of the growth

I worked at InComm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great overall.

Cons

The leadership has a very outdated mode of management. There are a number of legacy employees that have power issues

Good and bad...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at InComm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial spirit, fast-paced, able to contribute and make a difference for the most part. Good place to get lots of experience - usually left to work independently. Very much a roll-up-your-sleeves and get it done type of environment. Lots of work to do, company is growing quickly.

Cons

Lacking leadership, expensive healthcare benefits, the different teams/divisions work in silos - don't talk to each other, lack of process. Not a great place to work for those that are very process oriented. Internal promotions/growth unlikely. Constant re-organizations.

Learn what work is being done below management level so when decisions are being made, organizationally, they make sense. Need more process in place and tools to make work done easier and more efficiently.

Do what you have to do...

I have been working at InComm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I met some wonderful people. I am still friends with many of them today.

Cons

Work Life balance is non-existent. You WILL work during the holiday season (Thanksgiving and Christmas). If merchants are running transactions you are working. Watch out for BUSES, you will be ran over or thrown under one, there is no getting around that.

Change is top down!!! Servant Leadership. Humility. Gratitude.

One crazy ride

Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at InComm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial spirit. In many instances, you get to design your own job.

Cons

Lack of training, interdepartmental communication, processes, accountability, and job ownership

Offers Great opportunity to learn but low salary

I worked at InComm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers a lot of opportunities to learn
    Uses agile methodologies
    quite a few employees are highly skilled and experienced
    Use of latest technologies

Cons

Low Salary as compared to market rate

Learned a lot during my time here and still doing..

I have been working at InComm full-time

Pros

Good Salary and benefits, two office locations is a plus

Cons

Well many.. its a growing company.. its is getting better under new CTO Bruce Brown... but the upper management needs to pay more attention on their direct reports.. bonus should be given.. considering companys profit and turnovers..

try to analyse and understand people under you, they are way more technical and productive than what you are thinking..

IT

Former Employee - IT Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at InComm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you thrive in chaos, there is plenty of chaos. The challenges are endless with a blistering change rate to keep you on your toes. You never work the same day twice. Great location.

Cons

Executive management in IT is highly reactionary and cannot keep up with their own directives. The top priority/end of the world issue/drop everything project changes like the weather. Add constant re-orgs to that and you are set up for failure out of the gate.
    IT Operations leadership has ethics issues, leadership issues, competency issues and they are completely and arrogantly oblivious to any of this. This is "leadership" that consistently blames the troops for their own failures and is so disrespectful that technicians are openly referred to as "burger flippers". You can see how they refer to the Network team in the interview review someone else left on InComm IT. I wasn't shocked to read that one. This "leadership" in IT Operations is hands down the worst experience I have encountered in any working environment.

IT's reputation is mud in ATL. I consistently get a chuckle, at least, when I speak of my time here to anyone in the industry. I don't see how they could possibly attract any real talent at this point. I do not know how you fix that - relocate? outsource? or just stay on the current course slowly circling the drain? Thankfully this is not my problem.

Terminus

Current Employee - Anchor In Fiefdom in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anchor In Fiefdom in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at InComm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient location. Paid Parking. Gym. Grandiose titles to adorn business cards. Free business cards.

Cons

Regardless of your position, you will work in a chaotic frenzy and feel incredibly unaccomplished while you toil away at the stream of insolent "busy-work" while blindly sticking ineffective virtual duct-tape into a raging storm of fire rather than formulating effective solutions (*because that costs money, ya'll)...or you will completely give up and stare blankly into your computer screen wishing it would all just go away.

For such a wealthy company, we sure do shortchange the most important sectors by limiting essential resources. If A equals the equipment and personnel required to do B, then C equals monetary gain. Math. Science.

Unfortunately, if you want to work for a company that doesn't read like a sardonic "Dilbert" comic strip, then keep on moving because this place is as cliche as all get out. I can legitimately list one director and one VP among the herd that can understand basic/fundamental mathematics while offering perfunctory tidbits of leadership and such, however, for the most part - the 80/20 rule is applicable with incompetence stemming from upper and middle management. This company is grandiose in offering a bevy of elaborate titles for those wishing to adorn their business cards with (*which may be deemed a "pro" if the weight matched thusly).

For the few (*you know who you are) who are in the trenches, who give up their free-time, who achieve zero work/life balance, who pivot and joust, who create on demand, who fall on grenades, and who without fail come into the office and decidedly choose to shake off the jaded and entitled layers in order to stop the levy from collapsing - you deserve at the very least a raise. A LARGE RAISE. Something substantial. Something to quell the internal pangs of hunger during the oftentimes missed lunches (*and dinners).

You deserve an HR Department that doesn't limit salary increases BECAUSE you are an internal candidate and they can only offer a paltry 3-10% if even that. (*title changes and internal movement within the company)

It's odd to me that we would celebrate the hiring of complete strangers over someone internal. It's as if we are all in on the great "SECRET" of the chaos and a chaste newbie unfettered by this mess can be thrown into the machine and churned out once broken and used.

Solace can be found here. There is hope. It does require a hefty dose of (*dark) humor and a penchant for working through the inept to find the gems.

1. Cut the fat. Why do we have so many ineffective Middle Managers?
    2. Find the talented gems. Keep them. Pay them their worth.
    3. Fire everyone in HR. They are completely inadequate and useless.
    4. Fund the important essential elements: IT resources (increase servers and thus bandwidth to improve company-wide performance for overly funded program "faces"), Sales (restructure and reallocate resources based on team annual growth), Accounts Payable (*Get rid of - cut the fat), Accounts Receivables (*Pay them more and have them take over AP), Contracts Team (*Expand and Pay more), Channel Solutions (*Hire more people BEFORE the good ones leave), Executive VP - (*Show your face to us regular folks - if we didn't exist, then neither would you and your multi-leveled vacation homes. Get rid of the Mezz level. Bring everyone to swim on the 5th floor Mad Max style. Just a thought).

No organizational chart, no hierarchy, rampant cronyism, nepotism, infighting, backstabbing, and petulant obstructionism

I have been working at InComm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free gym, MARTA card, and dependent on team, working from home (although this seems to be on its way out). Presents itself as laid back, but actually fairly traditional and restrictive.

Cons

No bonus structure for workers, non competitive wages, constant (incessant) organizational restructuring, with no positive outcomes - high turnover, teams move and disintegrate constantly.