InContact

Updated December 15, 2014
3.7

InContact President, CEO, and Director Paul Jarman
Paul Jarman

Pros
  • Offers work from home 1X Day a week in most departments (in 5 reviews)

• Fun place to work with great people and great culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing at a rate that is hard to keep up with (in 5 reviews)

• It seems that upper management needs to be more aligned (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Grow

I have been working at InContact full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The company is in a hyper-growth period and management is very willing to invest and test to figure out how to grow the business. This type of buy-in from senior leadership is rare, and its the reason I joined inContact and why I remain optimistic about its future.
    - A lot of employees in all departments are able to work remotely. This helps them recruit top talent from all across the country.

Cons

- Improve communications about the future of the company. At times, decisions and plans trickle down weeks or months later to lower level team members

- Continue to be willing to take risks and let employees fail smartly. It's a great way for the both employees and the company to grow.
    - Listen to criticism about how performance is tracked and measured

Flexible Company, Too Many Entitled Employees

Former Employee - Account Executive in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Midvale, UT

I worked at InContact

Pros

Flexible tech company. Some good quality people that work here. Great work-life balance. Good time-off policies and if in sales good travel and incentives for trips.

Cons

Too many entitled employees. Unclear message at times. Company as a whole needs to come together with one clear vision and not be so segregated.

Management needs to stop saying yes to everything

Could definitely use improvement.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at InContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everybody will end up becoming a senior or principal level at some point, all you have to do is stick around long enough.

There is a snack bar that you are given $10/month in credits for. Free soda. I guess that's a pro.

Quarterly bonuses.

Some quarterly "inspire" rewards.

Yearly awards for outstanding performance wherein the winners are given an all-expenses paid trip to Mexico.

Cons

Management gets shuffled in and out on a yearly basis. The executive committee has no idea how to choose their management and ends up cycling through them every year or so when a scapegoat is needed for their inevitably bad decisions.

Definitely a sales driven company. If you're in engineering, prepare to have mediocre equipment and be a second priority to the rest of the company. The engineering department was recently split and a few teams were forced to move to a different building because the marketing department decided they didn't want to be the ones to move. The parking is pretty bad and employees were forced to sign a document stating that inContact will be allowed to make $100 payroll deductions if you park in the wrong spot.

Within teams or among peers, feedback is generally taken pretty well. But once you get up a few levels, the feedback is more or less ignored and the response becomes "other companies in the valley don't do that either" or "we're not competing with those companies, so we're not going to try to be sexy like them." A consulting team was hired to help find ways to increase the quality of the office. When suggestions were made about how to improve quality, the response was along the lines of "you guys just want everything, don't you?"

In engineering, you'll end up with a moderate computer, but very basic overall equipment. I hope you like the horrible default wired keyboard and mouse that come with every computer because that's all you're going to get. You'll be lucky to get a decent chair. Most of them are falling apart and if you're unlucky enough to get a chair that an overweight person has sat in, your padding will flat and your chair will be shot. The conference rooms are known as "chair graveyards" because all of the worst chairs end up there when people inevitably try to swap their chair for a better one.

A fair portion of quarterly bonuses come down to things that are not under your control. It's supposed to help incent employees into making the company better, but there's no way an engineer can control how many sales are made or improve system uptime when who knows how well other teams are doing.

Literally no one knows how winners are chosen for the yearly Mexico trip. I have asked around and not a single person knows. Of this year's 55 winners, only three (I believe) were from engineering. The vast majority were from sales and marketing.

Outsourced development (partially). We pay a company in Chennai to do some work for us. I have heard they are okay developers, but the teams here in Utah that work with them have to be available nights to help support them. We also bought a development company in Bolivia that has been causing immense pain with their lower quality work. However, due to politics and an effort to save face, management will not get rid of them. If not for the complaints of almost the entire engineering division, inContact's entire primary callcenter product would have been developed by an outsourced company.

Treat your engineers like actual people, and not just like resources to be paid for work. We are building your platform, and the word we get from you (if anything) is that we are not important.

Leadership (Executive Committee) really struggles to determine direction and momentum.

I have been working at InContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are very nice. They are all trying so hard to solve issues/events but nothing seems to work. The executive committee is trying hard to break down almost debilitating silos but it is obvious that all of the EC members are trying to build a larger organization.

Cons

Nice people but most 2nd level VP's & Directors truly lack the leadership experience to run a public company. Management cliques are rampant and if your not in the group you will never be allowed in. The EC focuses on too many ideas rather than helping build a solid platform and product stability.

Slow down, get rid of the management cliques, watch for successful leaders within the organization and build on their methodologies. Paul is very nice but he needs more backbone and the knowledge that he is truly in control. He needs to lead and create a vision for the future. There is too much land grabbing and politics that are debilitating the growth.

Enjoyable and Challenging work experience

Current Employee - Intern in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Intern in Midvale, UT

I have been working at InContact part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work environment, friendly employees & management, challenging, high workplace values, flexible schedules, benefits

Cons

Needs more space for employees, getting to be tight working spaces.

Great People but all overworked

I worked at InContact

Pros

inContact is a great company that is going places and have a great product with rich features to push them forward.

Cons

The company overworks people and makes you think that you should be happy to have a job at all. Don't get me wrong, the people there are great, but since the software is not reliable enough, it requires employees to put in long hours to make sure that they are running at all times and testing at all times.

Only bad thing I could say about their product is that it's not scalable, supportability is a nightmare and reliability doesn't seem to be at the top of their priority. Management needs to shift their focus to making the software more reliable thus helping with customer attrition and minimizing the long hours that engineers have to put in to make sure the software is running flawlessly, or close to it.

Good Company with Major Growing Pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at InContact full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company really seems to care about treating people well and is actively working on programs and initiatives that are employee friendly. It is also growing a ton, which offers exciting opportunities for future advancement. Lastly, the company straddles two great industries, telecom and SaaS (software as a service), so that's cool since it gives you experience with both.

Cons

First, the whole company is so busy trying to grow super fast. As a result, there's a certain vibe that kind of turns me off. Part of it is an attitude of burning people out. The company preaches work-life balance, but I don't believe the managers practice it in terms of how they apply it to subordinates. Another part of it is that everyone is so busy they won't give you the time of day. Even worse, some are kind of jerky in their attitude because of how busy they are, and they just want you to get out of their face. I find myself loathing having to do anything that requires the effort of others.

Next, contributing to the issue above, is that management has put in place an annoying, laborious, and convoluted goal system that weighs heavily on you when just trying to get your day job done. You have to set quarterly personal "stretch" goals, unlike the yearly ones I've always seen at other companies. This is just too much, and the overhead for simply getting yet another quarterly goal up and running is a quite frustrating. There is also a misguided department goal system called 4DX that is a big hassle to deal with and kind of a joke in that I don't really think it accomplishes what it sets out to because it becomes a silly box to check. These two items can greatly contribute to job dissatisfaction because of how they have been implemented.

Lastly, the only other thing I'd say is that I worry a little about the company's future. It's growing now, but I see signs of instability in some of the decisions that are being made and how they are implemented, and I question if the grand plan can be pulled off in the end. Only time will tell with this one.

1.) Change the quarterly personal goals to a yearly basis. Quarterly is overkill and contributes to burnout. Everyone is already way too busy even without this. Restructure the bonus program to deal with the change.

2.) Get rid of 4DX and replace it with a "normal" traditional company goal system. Better yet, make the personal and department goals the same, like at every other company I've been at. Management systems like 4DX are counterproductive and serve only to line the pockets of consulting companies. The basic ideas may seem sound, but the day-to-day implementation of 4DX becomes a joke from an employee perspective. For example, why do I have to take our whole 4DX goal and evenly distribute it between all the weeks in the date range just so I can check a box and say I kept my "commitment"? What if I can do 5 hours this week, 0 the next, and 2 the one after that? My manager told our group that averaging is not acceptable, and we have to hit our planned number of hours consistently each week. What other system of completing goals and projects doesn't allow you flexibility to adjust to your daily priorities--like when you have more time one week and less time another. That is just one of many flaws I have seen with how 4DX works. I've experienced several frameworks like this now--each company seems to have its pet management theory--and 4DX is by far the worst for its structural deficiencies that lead to perverse unintended consequences.

3.) Make sure the managers get the memo about work-life balance. The CEO has spoken about it passionately, but people are killing themselves. It leads to burnout and hurts morale. Sometimes it feels like the company can't get anything accomplished because people are too bogged down.

Good place to work for a year to two.

I worked at InContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Top-notch CFO, pretty much runs the company. Solid position in their space as a contact center 'software as a service' provider. Brilliant engineers and dedicated service team. Hardcore sales-driven organization which keeps outlasting the competition. IT Operations and Infrastructure are a very firm backbone for the company and the leadership over Circuit Design and Connectivity is nothing short of world-class. HR Business Partners are also outstanding.

Cons

Leadership can be hit and miss. There are some great leaders and even better pretenders. The 'Talent Acquisition Manager' regularly says things like 'pretty please with sugar on top' or 'me and him' or 'him and I' and proclaims to 'know where people come from within minutes of talking with them'. Strange...

The technology is a highly complex patchwork of legacy products, third party solutions and continuing R&D. There's a lot of promise in the future of their architectural framework but Engineering is mostly led led by Novell leftovers. There seems to be an identity crisis where turf wars get in the way of collaboration.

Show up for your scheduled interviews with candidates. Keep your resume polished. Try replacing politics with collaboration.

Advice to Executives; find a Director of Organizational Development to guide HR and move on form there.

inContact is awesome!

Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Midvale, UT

I have been working at InContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

inContact is a great place to work. This is the only company I have ever come across that rewards its Support employees the same way it rewards its Sales employees, including free trips for employee and a guest, cash, bonuses, iPads, etc. The culture is fantastic! Management not only encourages ideas, it acts to make changes and rewards the employees who make submissions. The company is young and ahead of its competition.

Cons

The only real con is that Management can sometimes be a little schizophrenic when they introduce changes. They have a tendency to make a very quick decision and then have to switch back to the old way later, however, I attribute this to growing pains more than anything else. And it does sometimes feel like the organization structure is a little on the top-heavy side. Does everyone have to be a VP of something?

Find the balance between thinking and acting. Don't be rash, but don't over-think everything either. More testing pre-release, even of that means we have only one release per year! Stability over speed!

Great SaaS company that is growing and growing

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at InContact full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing technology and technical leaders
    inContact is winning new customers and growing because of it
    There are open positions and career opportunities for internal people
    Cash compensation is competitive and the quarterly bonus is really nice
    Leadership is driven to win and it translates into a market-driven culture
    Flexible working policies

Cons

Can be stressful at times with pressure to stay 99.99 uptime and bring on new customers and features. Better than the alternative.
    Growing so fast that the work environment is cramped (currently building a new building)
    Others mentioned silos and politics. Having worked elsewhere, it no different than anywhere else except that management acknowledges it at inContact.

Features aren't the only thing that customers want. Invest more in training, tools, core platform.
    Get around with rank and file employees more