InFocus Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Bob O'Malley

1. It's a pretty good environment, the pay is good for entry level, and there is strong encouragement to self improve.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at InFocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They're increasing in size right now so it's a great time to apply.
    There is a wonderful training environment, where you are encouraged to take on extra duties as they suit you to enable you to move up in the company, since the support center is viewed as the entry into the company. There are many employees in engineering, IT, sales, and management, who started in the support center.
    If you want extra hours, overtime is allowed and since it's paid by the hour that can be a nice pay bonus.
    Calls are recorded and can be marked as good/bad by customers, but your job is not dependent on statistics, and the manager takes into consideration whether a bad review is a teachable moment or something the agent has no control over.
    The management is open to suggestions, and if you repeatedly have good suggestions you might find yourself being promoted.
    There is a great nerdy environment and relaxed attitude between employees when not on calls.
    There is no script or dialogue you are meant to follow, just to find the customer a solution for their needs.
    Your pay is not dependent on commission, because there is none.
    Every agent gets to take a projector to use at home in order to get more experience with the products, and we get to play with the bigger products like the MondoPads at work.
    If you ever get stumped by a customer's issue, you're encouraged to go grab the model from our library and give it a try yourself, learn about the product and its capabilities and find the customer a solution. This is great for me since I'm a hands-on learner.

Cons

The HQ, where the support center is, is in Tigard.
    The repair center is outsourced and customers hold us in the support center accountable when their repair takes too long.
    As with any call center there will occasionally be someone who calls in who had a bad day and decides to take it out on the agent. The management is understanding and supportive when this happens, and encourages you to walk it off or take some time before getting back on the phones.
    The computers and office equipment like chairs that we are provided are not the most modern, but we do get two monitors.

Advice to Management

Create pay increases between level 1, level 2 and level 3 customer support representatives. A new title and advanced duties don't mean much when they're not accompanied by a raise.
    A nice area to relax after stressful calls or when on break would be nice. A coffee/lunch area is fine, but it's not very inviting without a comfy couch or armchair.

2. Casual with no direction

I have been working at InFocus

Pros

The people are great, your day to day work life is pretty casual among your peers.

Cons

No structure, low moral, and little technical advancement in all departments

Advice to Management

invest more in quality of employee experience

3. Professional yet casual.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at InFocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation was excellent starting out.

Cons

Prospects of a raise were dismal.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, maybe focus more on career pathign.

5. Not

I worked at InFocus

Pros

Some nice people who have worked at InFocus for a long time. Great location in Portland.

Cons

Lost their way in product development, trying to find their way back.

6. Great environment, excellent place for first time work.

I worked at InFocus

Pros

When I was working for inFocus, the main thing that caught my attention was the flexibility of work hours. Personally, it worked well with my college schedule. On top of fair pay and a positive work environment, it felt like a no-brainer working with them.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is; if you are looking for a full time job with a ton of hours or overtime then I think you'd be disappointed.

7. Circling the Drain

I have been working at InFocus

Pros

Most of the people you work with are great and talented.

Cons

The great and talented either move onto other jobs quickly or are suffering from Stockholm.

bad culture

I have been working at InFocus full-time

Pros

small company, good opportunity for growth

Cons

run by one decision maker

9. Stressful in CSS Dept.

Former Employee - CSS in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - CSS in Portland, OR

I worked at InFocus

Pros

Depends on which dept. you work for, if you're in CSS, be to pull your hair out sometime, but the benifit package is excellent.

Cons

you will never know who's going to get the pink/yellow card next because it's shrinking faster than you can look for the next job.

Advice to Management

If you cut corner and try to save money by using cheaply made parts from China you will not win customer's loyalty in the long run.

10. Great People, Poor Direction from Above

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at InFocus

Pros

there are a lot of Good People to work with and learn from.

Cons

Salary includes variable component, for everyone.
    Top Managment does not have clear direction and changes focus often. Almost running company with knee jerk reactions..

Advice to Management

Focus on our core offering. Wait for a plan to yield a return and stop making changes.

A Sinking Ship...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at InFocus

Pros

Good benefits, and lots of vacation days.

Cons

The company is top heavy with senior management based on the size of the company. Many employees had been there for quite some time and had a sense of entitlement. They had a hard time adjusting to layoffs, budget cuts, friends leaving the company, etc. Each and every time they would say, "That's not the way we do it at InFocus". Never realizing that the company had been losing money for years ~ the old ways of thinking were not working anymore...No one was ever interested in hearing any new ideas.

Advice to Management

Determine actionable business plans each season and stick to them. Make the sales team accountable for profitability within their accounts.

RSS Feed </> Embed