InMotion Hosting

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Todd Robinson

3+ Years with InMotion Hosting and loving it!

ProsVery relaxed work atmosphere with great benefits and perks. The staff of 200+ is very friendly and outgoing which makes the office a great place to be productive. The free weekly lunches, profit share twice a year, great growth opportunity, and being able to wear jeans to work are great additions as well.

ConsThough there is plenty of growth for many departments to move to more senior positions there are some departments that have a glass roof. If you are willing to learn new skill sets there are a lot of opportunity for new positions in other departments.

Supervisors bonuses, dependant on your performance.

Tier I Support (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsNot many, but the position does provide a fairly quick path to being a systems administrator.

ConsHave a call that lasts more than 10 minutes? Supervisors and multiple colleauges will start spamming you at once asking you why over IM. What's the big deal with that? Well, you're required to have a chat, a call, and a ticket being worked at once. In technical support you need to use your hands to do your job. If you have 3 people asking you things all at once it just adds further delay to actually resolving the customers issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough with the production environment. Customers are more concerned with issue resolution than they are with little quick fixes. If a call comes in that takes a while, let it be. Give up on the "bonuses," and fairly compensate people for doing quality work. Chat teams should be there at all times, not just certain times of certain shifts. There should be a phone team that is not required to be in chat. Adding chats as a requirement is the single biggest reason why you will continue to see a growing ticket queue.

Good people, poor structure

ProsThe people are nice, the pay is steady, they do what they think will be best for the employees

ConsPay is bonus based, not salary based, the company is disorganized and most staff is under paid. Benefits are extremely expensive (health care) and really hurt an underpaid staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay should not be so low bonuses have to be used to meet a basis living wage. Reduce bonuses and increase salaries or apply them to reducing health care costs.

If you aren't a sys admin or developer, there's not a lot of growth opportunity, and very little pay opportunity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to start, but you won't want to stay.

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

Pros• Good way to gain experience and get exposure to hosting technologies
    • (Mostly) Nice bonus structure
    • Collaborative environment
    • The team is a great group of people who are happy to help you out and love sharing their knowledge
    • Good management with a firm grasp of the job and what needs to be done

Cons• Salary not very competitive, they try to prop this up with bonuses but the criteria to qualify for those bonuses is a moving target and some of the disqualifications are completely arbitrary
    • Duties include talking directly with customers regarding resource issues
    • Management shackled by upper management, so suggested improvements are slow to implement or dismissed

Advice to Senior ManagementPut less emphasis on quantity of work and focus more on quality. Encouraging high response volume doesn't help anyone except for the individuals who game the system for contact bonuses.

Contacts per hour does not equal productivity.

Offer more extensive training and opportunities for growth so people don't feel like they have to look outside the company to excel.

Stressful, unfair working conditions.

Tier I Support (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsIf you're starting out in the IT field, they're not the worst. Its definitely better than working at an ISP like Comcast. The offices are nice, my coworkers are generally good, hard working and helpful. Its management that needs to be redone.

ConsThey overwork you, they're not focused on employees with good technical knowledge, they want employees who will tell customers what they want to hear. As a result, a customer gets promised unrealistic expectations and we fail to meet them - every time.

I disapprove of Todd's leadership of the company. He's not a bad person, just his primary focus is marketing (AKA lying to potential customers). One of the senior architects once told me "I had to practically hold a gun to his head to get a measly $10k budget for an urgent project" Sales and marketing are dishonest, Support management is poor at best - they don't stand up for their employees at all and will throw you under the bus to save someone who pays the price of a pack of cigarettes a month.

They refuse to let you have breaks or lunch if the volume is high - I had to beg for a 5 minute bathroom break. Thats unacceptable and unfair.

Servers are oversubscribed and abused. Systems and customer care often have to fire abusive customers that refuse to negotiate.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou all need to focus on drawing the right customers, improving the server setups and learning to know when to cut your losses with a customer. InMotion will fail as a company with the outlook you have. You need more employees working only *one* posture and not forced to multitask. Stand behind your employees, not against them.

Young and casual company, but a job not a career.

Account Confirmation Specialist (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

Prosfree lunch tuesdays, relaxed work environment, profit sharing

Conssalary is pretty low for almost all position, there's really no way to move up, and management is usually hired from outside, not witihin.

Advice to Senior Managementpay people more.

Mediocre Place to Learn New Things

Lead Web Designer (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsNice incubator atmosphere for young workers to learns new skills at a fast pace. Keeps you looking forward.

ConsDoes not build on that learning base and the business model does not foster a good designer's abilities for the long run. All quantity not quality websites.

Good, and Bad

Tier I Advanced Technical Representative (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsThough my time with the company was short, it was definitely a positive experience. I learned a lot for the most part and found that I could really become a better individual if I put my mind to it. The benefits were definitely worth it, and the job really isn't that hard once you get in the role.

ConsThere's a lot of power-playing and it should be addressed (at least there was when I worked there). The overall morale of the floor can sometimes be a bit low, but they do whatever they can to try and bring it up. I'll say that I've had worse jobs in such than InMotion does for sure.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to not be so sensitive when someone does something to attempt to show you something that could be a potential problem... if they approach it incorrectly, you shouldn't be so upset and should address the issue rather than over-reacting. A nurturing environment for individuals to excel is needed, try to be more open and less strict to things that employees may have accidentally done wrong (if such is clearly so).

Good place to learn things, however it is extremely stressful if you're in a support position

Tier I Support Technician (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

Pros- Lot of very knowledgeable people
    - Can get promoted rather quickly IF you can maintain high contacts/QA score
    - Several opportunities for bonuses, if you meet QA of course
    - Get to play around with Linux
    - Flexible schedules, good for people in school
    - Free food on Tuesdays

Cons- Inmotion utilizes quantity of over quality when dealing with customers, as in they care much more about how many total customers you come in contact with in a shift rather than fixing an actual issue. Expect to have management on your back if a call goes over 15 minutes. An employee who can get more contacts per hour is much more valued over one with stronger technical skills. You will get fired if you cannot meet the minimum contacts per hour, this causes support techs to lie to customers or tell them to contact other vendors for issues just to end the phone call quickly.

- Ridiculously stressful environment for support. I have worked over a dozen jobs and this is by far the most stressful.

- Expected to take phone calls, chats, and work tickets at the exact same time, no joke. If you're not doing this then expect management to force you to.

- Other departments will take advantage of support to take calls for them if it gets to us first. I would take billing and customer care calls on the regular, while those departments would refuse to have the call transferred.

- Consistent 10+ calls in the queue on weekdays, there is virtually no downtime at all. Must get permission from management to do certain things like use the bathroom or vending machine. Management will also completely cancel everyone's lunch break if it's too busy

- Very high turnover rate in the support department due to stresses of the job, so we're constantly understaffed. Management will try and guilt you into working overtime or holidays.

Good entry level job to learn not much room to grow

Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsRelaxed, friendly environment. For sales there was decent pay, but in terms of growth and moving up there was wasn't any opportunities that were truly moving up.

ConsHard to make a difference with effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, management cares.

Worked for InMotion Hosting? Contribute to the Community!