InMotion Hosting

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
3.6

Todd Robinson

This is a company that actually cares about both it's employees and it's customers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at InMotion Hosting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

InMotion Hosting keeps getting better as it grows. The management here actually cares about employees and wants everyone to enjoy their job and have fun. We are encouraged to go out of our way to help customers, and are rewarded for going the extra mile! There are many bonuses and monthly raffles in Support. There is even a monthly drawing to reward us employees just for showing up to work on time for the entire month. Who does that? Managers are taking new team members out to lunch, and everyone goes on off site activities all the time. We even get paid when customers send in kudos about us. I keep seeing new ways of employee recognition thought up by management. Also free lunch for the whole company every Tuesday and free snacks delivered every week. But these are all just perks. The real benefit is the culture of learning and improving. Everyone is highly skilled and all are eager to share their expertise. The path from beginner to System Administrator and beyond is uniquely possible in a relatively short time. Oh, and we all share profits twice a year! Advancement potential is real and there are many avenues for growth, and

I've worked for companies where I didn't feel valued and was absolutely miserable. I love working with InMotion and the core values they adhere to. This is a company you'll want to establish yourself with and

Cons

It's usually pretty busy, but not exactly a con as long as you like to work. The work-life balance gets blurred as you develop friendships with your team mates.

You guys are awesome! Thank you for making us feel valued and listening to our feedback.

Former Sales Employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at InMotion Hosting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company provided lunch and had a great team environment. Offered a good benefits package for those that wished to take advantage of it.

Cons

I worked in an outbound sales role as a salaried employee. There was no flexibility in hours allowing you to work later in the day to stay later. If you wanted or needed to stay late you had to come in late. Also felt as though I was being discriminated against by my manager at times.

Offering a great work environment also needs to allow for flexibility. I felt as though upper management agreed and would allow for that flexibility but my immediate manager/supervisor would not. Also consistent rules that applied to everyone and not just those of a specific gender or race.

Great for someone in College, but not for a full time career

Current Employee - Tier I Support in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at InMotion Hosting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent wage for the qualifications required. Excellent bonus structure for anyone who can perform well with high numbers. They're 24/7, so your schedule can really be fit to your needs.

Cons

Overall pay is too dependent on bonuses. Would be better to lower the bonus structure and instead raise the base wage. Things can be extremely stressful as a Tier 1 at times when things get busy. Support is usually operating at capacity, so losing one or two people can really hurt everyone else.

There's also a new rule that you must find a replacement if you'd like to take PTO which can make utilizing your "earned" paid time off a trivial and annoying task.

You can move up quickly in Support, but you'll hit the ceiling quickly.

Make the base pay structure more reasonable so employees do not have to stress over whether or not they'll make a decent living wage at the end of the month when their bonus is determined.

3+ Years with InMotion Hosting and loving it!

I have been working at InMotion Hosting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed work atmosphere with great benefits and perks. The staff of 200+ is very friendly and outgoing which makes the office a great place to be productive. The free weekly lunches, profit share twice a year, great growth opportunity, and being able to wear jeans to work are great additions as well.

Cons

Though there is plenty of growth for many departments to move to more senior positions there are some departments that have a glass roof. If you are willing to learn new skill sets there are a lot of opportunity for new positions in other departments.

Supervisors bonuses, dependant on your performance.

Current Employee - Tier I Support in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at InMotion Hosting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not many, but the position does provide a fairly quick path to being a systems administrator.

Cons

Have a call that lasts more than 10 minutes? Supervisors and multiple colleauges will start spamming you at once asking you why over IM. What's the big deal with that? Well, you're required to have a chat, a call, and a ticket being worked at once. In technical support you need to use your hands to do your job. If you have 3 people asking you things all at once it just adds further delay to actually resolving the customers issue.

Enough with the production environment. Customers are more concerned with issue resolution than they are with little quick fixes. If a call comes in that takes a while, let it be. Give up on the "bonuses," and fairly compensate people for doing quality work. Chat teams should be there at all times, not just certain times of certain shifts. There should be a phone team that is not required to be in chat. Adding chats as a requirement is the single biggest reason why you will continue to see a growing ticket queue.

Good people, poor structure

I have been working at InMotion Hosting

Pros

The people are nice, the pay is steady, they do what they think will be best for the employees

Cons

Pay is bonus based, not salary based, the company is disorganized and most staff is under paid. Benefits are extremely expensive (health care) and really hurt an underpaid staff.

Pay should not be so low bonuses have to be used to meet a basis living wage. Reduce bonuses and increase salaries or apply them to reducing health care costs.

If you aren't a sys admin or developer, there's not a lot of growth opportunity, and very little pay opportunity.

Stressful, unfair working conditions.

Current Employee - Tier I Support in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at InMotion Hosting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're starting out in the IT field, they're not the worst. Its definitely better than working at an ISP like Comcast. The offices are nice, my coworkers are generally good, hard working and helpful. Its management that needs to be redone.

Cons

They overwork you, they're not focused on employees with good technical knowledge, they want employees who will tell customers what they want to hear. As a result, a customer gets promised unrealistic expectations and we fail to meet them - every time.

I disapprove of Todd's leadership of the company. He's not a bad person, just his primary focus is marketing (AKA lying to potential customers). One of the senior architects once told me "I had to practically hold a gun to his head to get a measly $10k budget for an urgent project" Sales and marketing are dishonest, Support management is poor at best - they don't stand up for their employees at all and will throw you under the bus to save someone who pays the price of a pack of cigarettes a month.

They refuse to let you have breaks or lunch if the volume is high - I had to beg for a 5 minute bathroom break. Thats unacceptable and unfair.

Servers are oversubscribed and abused. Systems and customer care often have to fire abusive customers that refuse to negotiate.

You all need to focus on drawing the right customers, improving the server setups and learning to know when to cut your losses with a customer. InMotion will fail as a company with the outlook you have. You need more employees working only *one* posture and not forced to multitask. Stand behind your employees, not against them.

Young and casual company, but a job not a career.

Former Employee - Account Confirmation Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Account Confirmation Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at InMotion Hosting (less than an year)

Pros

free lunch tuesdays, relaxed work environment, profit sharing

Cons

salary is pretty low for almost all position, there's really no way to move up, and management is usually hired from outside, not witihin.

pay people more.

Mediocre Place to Learn New Things

Former Employee - Lead Web Designer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Web Designer in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at InMotion Hosting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice incubator atmosphere for young workers to learns new skills at a fast pace. Keeps you looking forward.

Cons

Does not build on that learning base and the business model does not foster a good designer's abilities for the long run. All quantity not quality websites.

Good, and Bad

Former Employee - Tier I Advanced Technical Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at InMotion Hosting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Though my time with the company was short, it was definitely a positive experience. I learned a lot for the most part and found that I could really become a better individual if I put my mind to it. The benefits were definitely worth it, and the job really isn't that hard once you get in the role.

Cons

There's a lot of power-playing and it should be addressed (at least there was when I worked there). The overall morale of the floor can sometimes be a bit low, but they do whatever they can to try and bring it up. I'll say that I've had worse jobs in such than InMotion does for sure.

Try to not be so sensitive when someone does something to attempt to show you something that could be a potential problem... if they approach it incorrectly, you shouldn't be so upset and should address the issue rather than over-reacting. A nurturing environment for individuals to excel is needed, try to be more open and less strict to things that employees may have accidentally done wrong (if such is clearly so).