InQuira

InQuira – US – “Pantry”

Mike Murphy

Great technology good people

Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsPromising search and knowledge management technology that top firms were implementing. Became partners with Oracle and SAP. Acquired by Oracle

ConsSuper complex system and high cost of ownership for clients. Need to streamline technology. Engineering needed to do more testing before releasing new code to clients.

Great case study in R&D under-investment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTalented people
    Broad exposure to top clients in their respective industry segments.

ConsChronic under-investment in R&D that came too late to prevent clients from realizing that roadmaps were simply "smoke and mirrors"

Advice to Senior ManagementFormulate exit strategy - to their credit, that is what they did with the Oracle acquisition

InQuira has great people and it's product space is in demand

Senior Director of Partner Development (Current Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsGreat people to work from CEO on down
    Open, supportive and flexible culture
    Above average compensation and benefits

ConsProduct and development organization in need of major focus
    Revenue targets still too dependent on 1-2 key deals each quarter

Advice to Senior ManagementCongratulations on the aquisition by Oracle

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No communication or structure

Snr Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsSalary was ok. Purchased by Oracle.

ConsHuge legacy product with no one who really knows how it works. Communication was dismal and any attempt to find out who the contact was for a particular component was usually met with sloped shoulder and finger pointing.

Working at Inquira is not that bad

Engineering (Current Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsGreat benefits package
    People are good to work with

ConsFor company size, we are top heavy
    Company is cheap.
    Continually reaching goals, money in the bank, yet employees are not rewarded (unless you are on the top heavy side)

Advice to Senior ManagementWorkers need raises too; invest in your workers, not just in management team. No clear path for lower level employees.

InQuira -- Great Small Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsThe teamwork here is excellent. Team members are willing to pitch in and help get the job done on a daily basis. The future looks pretty bright as everyone else in the KM space is fading away. Great customer list and most seem very happy with the resultys they can achieve with InQuira.

ConsPlenty of work to go around. There is a lot to accomplish and not many resources to draw upon to succeed. Everyone seems to have their own agenda.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease focus your teams on the right objectives. Product Development is getting better, but needs to move fast to improve the architecture and usability to help reduce the customers' TCO. Sales has a strong team and Support is doing well. Professional Services needs help, or we need more integration partners to satisfy the demand for new customer implementations.

Good People, fun company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsNice people. Not much politics. Leadership position. Growing. Senior management is open and friendly. I'm not a very senior person and i've had multiple 1-1 conversations with the CEO and many of our SVPs who are open to scheduling time if you have something to say. Get the sense that people are working together - not against each other like at my last job. Agendas don't always align but that is natural, there's a feeling that we're in this together.

ConsMy worry is more with the KM space than with the company. Is there enough growth, and market understanding for this company keep up its trajectory. At what point do one of the large suite vendors target us. Lot of issues and uncertainties in the market. These could also be seen as opportunities and makes life fun and interesting.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've been here a year and we haven't missed a quarter. I don't care what the haters say, you can't attribute that simply to luck or low expectations. Management is clearly doing something right. Keep up the good work.

Needs Focus

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsGood work-life balance, chance to have a big impact on some of world's largest companies, opportunity to flexibility to pursue unique solutions to client problems

ConsCompany continues to lack a cohesive vision on what we and product do. The product as a great core and a lot of flexibility hence the statement above about "unique solutions". The downside is that too much of our focus is on the handful of customers we just sold. The company just bounces from one priority to another.

The core product is awesome, but has not really changed much over the years. I hope someone figures out what we do before the competition catches up.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on running the company instead of closing the next big deal. By now you would think that the hero culture at the company would no longer be necessary.

Good and Bad, but mostly dissatisfied.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsGreat benefits
    Reasonable amount of vacation given
    Reasonable with time-off requests
    Most employees are nice and considerate
    Ability to work from home with most positions

ConsMost of the executive team doesn't seem to care about anyone below the executive team
    Cuts to most in-office perks
    Not much room for advancement
    No raises, low bonuses
    "Special treatment" of select employments
    No consistency between treatment of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is not a privilege to work at InQuira. InQuira should feel privileged that certain, hardworking employees are retained.

Good people, good customers, bad management, high turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsHealthcare coverage is excellent, and many of the rank and file are very good people and well-intentioned. Telecommuting is supported by managers, though probably overused by employees, to the detriment of the culture. The services organization is well managed and good at building solutions on top of InQuira's platform, and that enables the company to continue to sell large deals to companies who have been burned in the past. The company has a good list of name-brand customers, most of whom are willing to be a positive reference.

ConsInternal communications is almost non-existent, and breeds gossip and fear among employees. There is no stated company strategy nor execution plan, so rank and file employees plod along and work from home as much as they can. It's been a long time since the product moved ahead appreciably - development spends most of their time on quality improvements and responding to customer complaints. In general, the company is pretty dysfunctional and it's clear the CEO is trying to sell the company and get out himself. The employee turnover is quite high - the executive team under the CEO has turned over continually, and the best executives have left the company. Sadly, mismanagement has taken its toll.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in a fresh CEO - one who respects the importance of a healthy company culture and communications, and executes against a strategy and a plan.

Worked for InQuira? Contribute to the Community!