InTheMO

Updated September 9, 2014
2.1

Cary Levine
1 Rating

Fun Job - hard work, and not a serious chance for employment afterword

I worked at InTheMO as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Beer at the office, fun environment. There was a cute dog always there and the coffee and snacks were decent.

Cons

Very tedious work and it kind of seems like BS at times. Often we were just pretending to be users and faking content! Not fun work.

Give your interns more important work

Word Hard, Get Paid Less

I worked at InTheMO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked there for 8 months. No Pros that I can think about. Joined only to get some experience so I could move on to better opportunities. Last I heard, they laid off 50% of their employees due to budget cuts

Cons

Work extra hours EVERYDAY and get paid much less than the standard market rate.

Just Awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at InTheMO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fully stocked kitchen
    Employees are extremely nice
    Good Location

Cons

I debated for a while whether I wanted to review InTheMO simply because I didn't know what to say. But I decided that it would be better for me to write something than nothing. Basically the company is a disaster. Upper Management have no clue what they are doing. They promote open communications and the ability to do whatever you want, but it's not true. As much as I think they really do want to do great things they are trying to do WAY too much and everything gets lost. Unfortunately since the CEO is never there, the former COO now CMO has no background and clearly no understanding of technology all of the responsibilities fell on the CPO (who left and they never replaced) and the CTO.

The CTO seems like a nice enough guy, but plays games with the employees, holds the foreign employees work visas over their heads, and promotes a culture of fear. It simply doesn't work. There are different rules for people working on the tech side and those who don't. There are also different rules for people who are not from America. I don't actually feel like it's fair to blame it all on the CTO though, I think he was duped by the CEO into joining into a company that has promise, but is really a disaster and he's just trying to pull it together somehow. Unfortunately, the CTO doesn't know how to do that and has created a totally negative environment.

Basically, of you are looking to work at InTheMO just don't. It's really not worth it. You'll hate it everyday that you're there and when you leave you'll be embarrassed of your time there and think of it as a stain on your resume.

Look at your employees. Feel the energy of the office when you're there and realize how miserable everyone is. The free beer, food, and nice office can't make up for the stifling work environment and total disorganization. You're clearly struggling to stay afloat and if you want the company to be successful you need to fix your internal issues before selling products that don't work.

Liars and Cheats who prey on desperate people who have no alternatives.

I worked at InTheMO

Pros

Better then working at McDonalds or any other place that pay minimum wage. This place will give just about anyone a chance, but that's because they prey on desperate and the hungry.

Cons

They lie to you with promises of future raises, compensations, and anything else to get you to work harder. In reality they don't give anything like that. They pay 1/2 the going rate of the marketplace and prey on people who are either immigrants, right out of school or just desperate. It shows in the quality of the product and the competency of the senior management.

They pay their coders $80 a day, who can't really complain because to get around job restrictions by claiming them as "Interns". Yet these guys work 12+ hours a day with grueling deadlines and unreal expectations.

They try to win you over with "perks" including free beer at the office, but really its just to stem the frustration and anger. The Egyptians used to feed their slaves gruel that has alcohol in it because they knew it would make them inebriated and keep them from rioting.

The upper management have no idea what they are doing, there has been over a dozen "launches" with still no real public launch date. They can't get any media source to take them seriously, nor can they get any serious funding.

They work their staff to death doing client work, while paying them next to nothing.

What are the upper management doing while all this is happening? Flying around the world, "meeting with investors" in vegas, and basically living off of the hardship and sweat of all the hard workers.

If I could describe the company in one word, I would say its a "Sweatshop"

Stop being greedy, get some real experts, and treat your workers like human beings. Stop preying on the desperate and be a responsible businessmen.

Great experience and fun with little to no upward mobility.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at InTheMO

Pros

fun, new, exciting, being part of something big, potential for it hitting it big, the unknown, the ability for it to take off

Cons

the lack of upward mobility, the lack of full time jobs avaliable, the fact that yelp is a competitor, the unknown

Advice is to just keep of the good work. The path you are going on is positive and one day it will make it big.

Very bad

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at InTheMO

Pros

High expectations, small team, and located in Santa Monica

Cons

asked to hit targets from day 1. All that you are judged on is the number of task/bugs you resolve. Nothing else counts. And engineers are treated like second class employees in relation to the other employees.
    People being asked to work 6 days a week sometimes.

Be good to your employees and give them a little bit of breathing room. They will return your kindness by giving their all a lot of the time

Awful place to work

I worked at InTheMO

Pros

pretty office, experience, beer that no one drinks

Cons

unrealistic deadlines, high turnover rate, poor management...the company looks good from the outside and turns on that perception once you get in

awesome co-workers, inspiring leaders, beer on tap

I worked at InTheMO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

see above, plus pet friendly work environment, stocked kitchen, room to grow professionally. the people here are dedicated. it is a great place to learn and grow.

Cons

pet friendly work environment (a plus at sometimes not at others).

you've built a great team, reward them!